TTL News

Race For Mayor In Elmira Is Set

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

The concerns of the people are well-known and very generic.  Answers tend to be the same.

and that right there is why we here in the forum are pressing for specifics..its not that anyone here has a specific love for the current Mayor, but .because to date, generic answers do not seem to have pulled the City out of its near-60 year slump. So why would any voter in the City of Elmira choose the generic they dont know?

On 10/18/2023 at 3:10 PM, Zapp Brannigan said:

Well I lived in Ithaca for 30 years so just a couple. Lets see those numbers 

I do not have magic access to the "numbers". They are readily available, as I have posted three times so far.  In rough third: Democrats, Republicans, independents.

Same reason they chose the incumbent: not more of the same.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

and that right there is why we here in the forum are pressing for specifics..its not that anyone here has a specific love for the current Mayor, but .because to date, generic answers do not seem to have pulled the City out of its near-60 year slump. So why would any voter in the City of Elmira choose the generic they dont know?

Well, I don't know.... Maybe try something different?  Have the past 8 years been great for the city? (Covid stimulus money aside). If you think they have been great, by all means vote for the  deadly boring  incumbent. If not, vote for change.

15 minutes ago, Adam said:

Possibly because what you don't know has a better chance. If the City has gone through a 60=year slump, isn't it time to try something different?

On 10/19/2023 at 2:19 AM, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

If you think that Jim is only offering the same as the current Mayor, you were not listening.

I find this to be a pretty tone deaf response from someone who is supposed to be a campaign manager. Myself, I would use that as an opportunity to look inward and ask what the problem with the campaign may be, rather than declaring the potential voter to be the problem. 

11 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Out of curiosity, have you participated in many debates?

No, nor have I run for political office. Were I to do so, I would arrive to each door and each podium with a list of specific solutions to the problems that I point out. Its simply how I conduct myself in my day to day life, so it'd naturally carry over to any political or leadership aspirations I may suddenly have ( presumably from some form of blunt trauma to the head ). 

In fairness to the challenger, I just saw a video where he mentions a museum to celebrate the history of firefighting in Elmira ( LaFrance ). Now THAT is an EXCELLENT idea, and would be a great way to re-purpose the old EFD Station 4. But as a potential voter, I shouldn't have to search that out on the internet. Thats the kind of thing that I should be hearing whenever the candidate gets a chance to speak to the public. 

Show up with that and a list of 2-3 other ideas you have when it comes to tourism, crime, homelessness, etc. Keep them realistic for God's sake. That's something I could get behind as a voter. And at the same time you're offering very clear differences between yourself and the incumbent. A very clear vision for the next several years, rather than speaking in generalities that leave people underwhelmed, or spouting statistics that may or may not reflect the reality people see around them. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Talking points are not the problem. Voting is. Nowadays, we are ruled by the voice of about 30% of the population.

I’ll grant you voter apathy is one of the bigger problems not just Elmira but all over . One reason for said problem , I believe , is that Candidates and Incumbents Do use the “talking points “ to get elected , then do not address those points to any significant extent. This eventually makes the potential voter think to themselves “ why bother voting “ or “ my vote doesn’t count “ . 

• Like 1

If the City has gone through a 60=year slump, isn't it time to try something different?

For myself I can verify the 60+ years slump , well , add 10 years to that lol . Myself and many others have very fond of Elmira from our childhood but also  realizing change is inevitable . We all know the same old excuse about the river being at fault in 1972 right … but how many know what actually transpired after that point ? Think Arnot Mall and Certain City Officials ( of the day ) and why businesses were not rebuilding shortly after Agnes . THAT was the reason … but I digress . 
Since that time the word revitalization has been the key word used by , to my recollection, Incumbents and Candidates alike in their bid to take or hold the Seat , So , again , for myself there has been No “ Different “ to try in all that time . But please , if you wish , dispute  my point ! You make a list of attempted revitalization projects and I can and will give you viable reasons as to why they failed . 

12 hours ago, Adam said:

Because the generic shows intention. Jim wants to give Elmirans a sense of pride in their city. He wants to make the city a "drive-to" not a "drive-through".  To achieve that, he will initiate a new long term plan for the city; one which focuses on the well-being of the whole population, and not just on economic growth.

1 hour ago, Hal said:

For myself I can verify the 60+ years slump , well , add 10 years to that lol . Myself and many others have very fond of Elmira from our childhood but also  realizing change is inevitable . We all know the same old excuse about the river being at fault in 1972 right … but how many know what actually transpired after that point ? Think Arnot Mall and Certain City Officials ( of the day ) and why businesses were not rebuilding shortly after Agnes . THAT was the reason … but I digress . 
Since that time the word revitalization has been the key word used by , to my recollection, Incumbents and Candidates alike in their bid to take or hold the Seat , So , again , for myself there has been No “ Different “ to try in all that time . But please , if you wish , dispute  my point ! You make a list of attempted revitalization projects and I can and will give you viable reasons as to why they failed . 

I don't dispute your point. The flood has been blamed for all the city's woes. Quite certainly, the Mall,  and the aggregation of big box stores nearby, have had serious consequences for Elmira. The geography of the city is also a problem. It is not easy to get to the city center.

Revitalization means restoring life. It should not mean gentrification.  Please note that this is me talking, not a spokesperson for Jim, although his ideas are similar. To re-invigorate downtown Elmira, one needs to make it easily accessible (public transport and parking) plus good reasons for coming downtown rather than going to the Mall.  A department store would be great, but everyone agrees that you are never going to get an established one to set up shop. But it is possible to establish a consortium of very small businesses that trade in the various departments: a shoe store, a kid's clothing store, household goods, garden stuff, furniture, plus, plus, plus.  All locally owned and operated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

I find this to be a pretty tone deaf response from someone who is supposed to be a campaign manager. Myself, I would use that as an opportunity to look inward and ask what the problem with the campaign may be, rather than declaring the potential voter to be the problem. 

No, nor have I run for political office. Were I to do so, I would arrive to each door and each podium with a list of specific solutions to the problems that I point out. Its simply how I conduct myself in my day to day life, so it'd naturally carry over to any political or leadership aspirations I may suddenly have ( presumably from some form of blunt trauma to the head ). 

In fairness to the challenger, I just saw a video where he mentions a museum to celebrate the history of firefighting in Elmira ( LaFrance ). Now THAT is an EXCELLENT idea, and would be a great way to re-purpose the old EFD Station 4. But as a potential voter, I shouldn't have to search that out on the internet. Thats the kind of thing that I should be hearing whenever the candidate gets a chance to speak to the public. 

Show up with that and a list of 2-3 other ideas you have when it comes to tourism, crime, homelessness, etc. Keep them realistic for God's sake. That's something I could get behind as a voter. And at the same time you're offering very clear differences between yourself and the incumbent. A very clear vision for the next several years, rather than speaking in generalities that leave people underwhelmed, or spouting statistics that may or may not reflect the reality people see around them. 

I see no problem with the campaign. We have had direct contact with about 2/3rds of voters (mostly excluding Republicans who tend to vote party line regardless). In the next two weeks, postcards will go out to the rest, including nearly 1000 registered Dems who have not voted in the past 3 elections. Voters - or rather those that can't be bothered to vote - absolutely are the problem.

59 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

But it is possible to establish a consortium of very small businesses that trade in the various departments: a shoe store, a kid's clothing store, household goods, garden stuff, furniture, plus, plus, plus.  All locally owned and operated.

Perhaps this could work I’ll give you that ,  but ( always a but right ? ) some of us here have seen firsthand that the current regime ,and a few before them , have made Elmira not all that business friendly . Although that has changed a bit in the last few years with some coffee shops etc it's a too little too late situation for anything bigger . And you are spot on with accessibility to any attractions and lack of parking . They have shoved that damned parking garage down our throats for far too long and they just keep putting lipstick on that pig with the so called repairs and lighting the stairwells … give me a break ! I won’t even start on the elevator situation ! 
So , maybe if Mr Hasselle can include these on his platform along with other concerns thats what I could get behind … and if elected he were to address said concerns , well …  all the better . 
Now ,  having  beat this horse enough i’ll just give a “Peace Out “ , but I do enjoy the rigorous debate on the topic . 

5 minutes ago, Hal said:

Perhaps this could work I’ll give you that ,  but ( always a but right ? ) some of us here have seen firsthand that the current regime ,and a few before them , have made Elmira not all that business friendly . Although that has changed a bit in the last few years with some coffee shops etc it's a too little too late situation for anything bigger . And you are spot on with accessibility to any attractions and lack of parking . They have shoved that damned parking garage down our throats for far too long and they just keep putting lipstick on that pig with the so called repairs and lighting the stairwells … give me a break ! I won’t even start on the elevator situation ! 
So , maybe if Mr Hasselle can include these on his platform along with other concerns thats what I could get behind … and if elected he were to address said concerns , well …  all the better . 
Now ,  having  beat this horse enough i’ll just give a “Peace Out “ , but I do enjoy the rigorous debate on the topic . 

Just curious: do you live in the city of Elmira, and, if so, are you planning to vote?

4 hours ago, Hal said:

I’ll grant you voter apathy is one of the bigger problems not just Elmira but all over . One reason for said problem , I believe , is that Candidates and Incumbents Do use the “talking points “ to get elected , then do not address those points to any significant extent. This eventually makes the potential voter think to themselves “ why bother voting “ or “ my vote doesn’t count “ . 

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I don't dispute your point. The flood has been blamed for all the city's woes. Quite certainly, the Mall,  and the aggregation of big box stores nearby, have had serious consequences for Elmira. The geography of the city is also a problem. It is not easy to get to the city center.

Revitalization means restoring life. It should not mean gentrification.  Please note that this is me talking, not a spokesperson for Jim, although his ideas are similar. To re-invigorate downtown Elmira, one needs to make it easily accessible (public transport and parking) plus good reasons for coming downtown rather than going to the Mall.  A department store would be great, but everyone agrees that you are never going to get an established one to set up shop. But it is possible to establish a consortium of very small businesses that trade in the various departments: a shoe store, a kid's clothing store, household goods, garden stuff, furniture, plus, plus, plus.  All locally owned and operated.

This seems to be exactly what the Village of Horseheads is doing right now- if you are paying attention.  For a number of years shops starting closing and Hanover Sq and outlying was becoming a bit ghosty, but since pandemic they seem to be giving revitalization a shot.  Several of the restaurants there have given themselves facelifts (Louie's which looks awesome) or pushed to increase foot traffic.  A number of new places opening up or relocated to a spot better in the same area suited to their operations.... Rooted-Houseplants and Wreaths, Four Sisters Treasures, Emma's Coffee/Lights Bakery, Rosars, Beefs, Nicks which are "bars" but also serve lunches and dinners and are family friendly.  There are Barber Shops, Salons, Yoga, Massage and similar service businesses which bring people down there.  It's a work in progress, but they are working hard to make it work.

The city has been working hard too but quite honestly from what I have heard from business owners trying to move there, the city's own codes and rules are turning around to bite them in the butt.  Added with the fact that they all (city officials and especially code) seen to be on a path to be defensive and reactive rather than try and help work towards any solutions.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KarenK said:

…from what I have heard from business owners trying to move there, the city's own codes and rules are turning around to bite them in the butt. 

This right here.

Perhaps 8-10 years ago there was a person who took a chance and opened a bakery on Water Street. Her baked goods, especially her cakes, were second to none.

And yet the codes and rules she had to follow set her up for failure from the word go. After several months she packed it in, and it was a loss to the city that the city never even saw happen.

I get it, there’s rules. But more than once those rules and restrictions have either driven a viable business out or caused a start up to say “f—- this” and set up shop elsewhere.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Because the generic shows intention. Jim wants to give Elmirans a sense of pride in their city. He wants to make the city a "drive-to" not a "drive-through".  To achieve that, he will initiate a new long term plan for the city; one which focuses on the well-being of the whole population, and not just on economic growth.

I intend to be retired by age 55, is that enough to make it happen? those intentions you mention are admirable but those are obvious ideas that anyone seems to have yet to act upon. I've visited your Candidate's website and unfortunately its long on intentions and very short on specific plans.

the generic is much akin to throwing everything against the wall and see what sticks, much is wasted and little is successful; details like HOW will homes be provided(realistically), WHAT will be done to entice higher quality jobs to the area, WHO will be used as resources to accomplish goals, WHERE will funding come from to obtain the stated goals and WHAT is a realistic timeline, so that success can truly be measured?

The candidate that offers those types of answers( not just ideas) is going to reach many more voters, and even across party lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

This right here.

Perhaps 8-10 years ago there was a person who took a chance and opened a bakery on Water Street. Her baked goods, especially her cakes, were second to none.

And yet the codes and rules she had to follow set her up for failure from the word go. After several months she packed it in, and it was a loss to the city that the city never even saw happen.

I get it, there’s rules. But more than once those rules and restrictions have either driven a viable business out or caused a start up to say “f—- this” and set up shop elsewhere.

This has happened several times in Corning (where I live). The State codes are very restrictive and, unfortunately, our Code Enforcement Officers apply the rules without discretion.  That is, 100% adherence to the book and no room for exceptions.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

This right here.

I may have said this before, but I'll say it again. Code enforcement sucks. The City needs to add a budget line to help homeowners keep their homes up to code - at least as far as safety is concerned. Over the past few years, I have climbed many unsafe steps and knocked on many doors that need help.

I know of several businesses that wanted to set up shop in Corning but the Code Enforcement Officer thought otherwise.

I may have said this before, but I'll say it again. Code enforcement sucks. The City needs to add a budget line to help homeowners keep their homes up to code - at least as far as safety is concerned. Over the past few years, I have climbed many unsafe steps and knocked on many doors that need help.

Owning a home includes more than just paying the mortgage, taxes and insurance.  Maintaining the property is also the responsibility of the home owner, not the taxpayer.  Adding a budget line for that purpose is shifting responsibility to taxpayers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Owning a home includes more than just paying the mortgage, taxes and insurance.  Maintaining the property is also the responsibility of the home owner, not the taxpayer.  Adding a budget line for that purpose is shifting responsibility to taxpayers.

Tell that to landlords.

It doesn’t seem fair or rational to hold other taxpayers responsible for a Landlord’s offenses.

The property owner should be held responsible rather than forcing their neighbors to shoulder the costs through a “budget line” that rewards the landlord for neglecting their property.

Other municipalities have local laws/ordinances that give them the authority to have violations remediated by a designated governmental agency or a contractor and the expense charged to the violator and impose a special assessment (lien) on the property if the owner fails to pay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Other municipalities have local laws/ordinances that give them the authority to have violations remediated by a designated governmental agency or a contractor and the expense charged to the violator and impose a special assessment (lien) on the property if the owner fails to pay.

Expanding on this point.....I'm curious if the City of Elmira already has some such ordinance on the books that is not being fully enforced.

I don't live or own property in the City, so haven't researched it. But I assume your candidate, as a concerned, erudite voter and taxpayer with active involvement in City governance and Council meetings must have already looked into the existing laws of the City he seeks to represent.

15 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Expanding on this point.....I'm curious if the City of Elmira already has some such ordinance on the books that is not being fully enforced.

I don't live or own property in the City, so haven't researched it. But I assume your candidate, as a concerned, erudite voter and taxpayer with active involvement in City governance and Council meetings must have already looked into the existing laws of the City he seeks to represent.

If Elmira has such a law, it is keeping very quiet about it.

37 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

The property owner should be held responsible rather than forcing their neighbors to shoulder the costs through a “budget line” that rewards the landlord for neglecting their property.

Absolutely. The property owner should be held responsible. But property owners are often absent and/or unwilling to put money into the upkeep of their properties. They should be fined for violations.

That said, maintaining properties is not rewarding the landlord; it is enhancing the neighborhood, which is good for everyone.