TTL News

Race For Mayor In Elmira Is Set

I’m also not obligated to sign anything enabling them if I don’t want to. And I won’t.

For all I know a better prospective candidate, someone I’d be happy to vote for, may stop by the following day. And I wouldn’t be able to sign their petition.

Keep in mind I’m referring strictly to myself, my own way of living my life here. You do you, it’s all good.

And in full disclosure, no one’s asking me for signatures unless they want to run as an independent anyway. 

8 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

And how does a candidate find out the concerns of the constituency before he gets out and talks to them?

a well prepared Candidate prepares for their candidacy to speak with those they intend to represent before even running for office. This allows the Candidate to gauge whether or not they can actually be of valuable service to address those concerns, it also educates them regarding what potential voters/opposition find important. from there, the Candidate would formulate, or at least take those concerns into consideration when faced with challenge questions such as a debate

Let’s try to steer this back on track to the Elmira Mayoral race. Anyone’s welcome to start a new topic elsewhere pertaining to petitioning and other electoral procedure. 

Enough time has passed that both candidates should have some semblance of a plan they’d like to enact on a variety of topics should they win. ( Although I’m not so certain it even falls in the mayor’s lap so much as the city manager’s, but… )

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I don't really agree with that.  I believe everyone deserves the opportunity to petition to serve.  Signing a petition does not imply support.  It implies the encouragement of the candidate to run.  This gives them the opportunity to then do what they need to do to get elected.  

Everyone should have the opportunity if they want it.

You vote in November.  Just because you signed the petition doesn't mean you have to vote for them.

In principle, I agree that anyone eligible to hold an office should be allowed to run without government impeding them.

However, the people who drafted election laws in NYS (and many other states) have decided otherwise.

As long as they have decreed that no one can run without a certain number of signatures and eligible signers are limited to only signing one petition per office.....then I agree with Chris that potential signers have a right (obligation?) to be discriminating in deciding when/if to sign a petition.  

49 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

No. Signing a petition allows someone to get on the ballot. You are not obliged to vote for them.

except that in signing a petition for a Candidate that you have ZERO intent to vote for, strictly to allow them to get on the ballot, means you cannot sign for another Candidate that you might agree with whole-heartedly. Your signature, that they can now not use( think small towns/districts with limited pool of voters), may be that one that allowed THEM on the ballot; You have effectively voted for the Candidate that is not the best option.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:28 PM, Adam said:

except that in signing a petition for a Candidate that you have ZERO intent to vote for, strictly to allow them to get on the ballot, means you cannot sign for another Candidate that you might agree with whole-heartedly. Your signature, that they can now not use( think small towns/districts with limited pool of voters), may be that one that allowed THEM on the ballot; You have effectively voted for the Candidate that is not the best option.

Perhaps you should be at least as prepared as you expect the candidate to be. If you don't know who is running, you could ask and then decide whether or not to sign. And you can vote. Republicans - who are not a majority - win because they vote. Democrats lose because they don't.

Edited by Elizabeth Whitehouse

On 7/25/2023 at 10:19 PM, Chris said:

Let’s try to steer this otsback on track to the Elmira Mayoral race. Anyone’s welcome to start a new topic elsewhere pertaining to petitioning and other electoral procedure. 

Enough time has passed that both candidates should have some semblance of a plan they’d like to enact on a variety of topics should they win. ( Although I’m not so certain it even falls in the mayor’s lap so much as the city manager’s, but… )

Good point. The City Manager calls the shots. The Mayor's only trump is the ability to set the agenda. That can be powerful.

Edited by Elizabeth Whitehouse

1 hour ago, Adam said:

a well prepared Candidate prepares for their candidacy to speak with those they intend to represent before even running for office. This allows the Candidate to gauge whether or not they can actually be of valuable service to address those concerns, it also educates them regarding what potential voters/opposition find important. from there, the Candidate would formulate, or at least take those concerns into consideration when faced with challenge questions such as a debate

Oh sure. That's what everyone does.

4 hours ago, MsKreed said:

In principle, I agree that anyone eligible to hold an office should be allowed to run without government impeding them.

However, the people who drafted election laws in NYS (and many other states) have decided otherwise.

As long as they have decreed that no one can run without a certain number of signatures and eligible signers are limited to only signing one petition per office.....then I agree with Chris that potential signers have a right (obligation?) to be discriminating in deciding when/if to sign a petition.  

You are not obliged to sign a petition. Just as you are not obliged to vote. I tend to think you should be because that is what makes a democracy work.

5 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Government has nothing to do with this. A petitioning process is important as it winnows out the crazies.

4 hours ago, Adam said:

If you feel that strongly then don't sign. You are not obliged to.

4 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

If you feel that strongly then don't sign. You are not obliged to.

4 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

A petitioning process is important as it winnows out the crazies.

Ok good, we all agree on that. Now let's get this back on track and keep the conversation to the Elmira Mayoral race. 

This a a reply to Chris's comment of July 25th (which I missed in a flurry of emails) regarding having both a City Manager and a Mayor. With the City Manager system you hardly even need a Council, certainly not one structured this way.  The same is true in Corning. The City Manager - not an elected position - has almost complete control over the city; the Council rubber stamps his decisions.  There is no mechanism for meaningful input from the public. For what it is worth, Jim Hassell feels the same way and would work to eliminate the Manager position, returning to a working Council with active oversight of all city departments.

I bounced around to topics I found interesting because I can only sit through so many ads for Elm Chevy for a one minute soundbite. But in fairness to Jim Hassel, I have to say this moment left a bad taste in my mouth:

First off, whether a candidate for city office agrees with this is immaterial in my opinion. It'd be like asking their opinion on abortion; the city doesn't make laws concerning the  issue. Including this question was silly.

More than that though, the moderator's confrontational manner against the candidate was, in my profession, unprofessional and uncalled for. But I'm sure it'll look good on the video he sends out with his resume sometime down the road. 

• Like 2

Is the fact that Hassel had no idea what the new gun laws were about an issue for someone wanting a position of governance?  

Edited by Ann

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Is the fact that Hassel had no idea what the new gun laws were about an issue for someone wanting a position of governance?  

For a city of Elmira office? I don't think so honestly. The mayor has absolutely no bearing on a state law already signed into place. It’s an opinion, not a policy stance.

I found the adversarial tone taken on by the “moderator” more disturbing. His job was to ask the question, not challenge the candidates’ answers or lack there of.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris said:

For a city of Elmira office? I don't think so honestly. The mayor has absolutely no bearing on a state law already signed into place. It’s an opinion, not a policy stance.

I found the adversarial tone taken on by the “moderator” more disturbing. His job was to ask the question, not challenge the candidates’ answers or lack there of.

I don't disagree however since so many "constituents" seem to have no idea exactly what the Mayor is and isn't able to do, it's likely a good idea to have some handle on the state laws because someone is going to ask or challenge or want to vote you out because you won't change them.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

True.   I just thought, doesn’t he listen to the news?  His lack of awareness made me wonder what else does he not bother to look into.  He just seemed unprepared with no definitive plan to remedy the City’s problems.

• Like 1

It’s stupid shit like this that makes me thankful I’m not in politics. Because the moment someone asked me my views about gun, abortion, or whatever hot button topic they choose to be stuck on, I’d carefully consider it.

Then I’d be forced to respond, “WTF does that have to do with running for mayor of Elmira?!?”

2 hours ago, Ann said:

He just seemed unprepared with no definitive plan to remedy the City’s problems.

I’ll agree with this though. Very broad statements of supporting agencies, working with the community or whatever seemed to be the go to answer. Some specifics would have been good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Who is "he"?

Your guy Hassel

7 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

My guy Hassell has more to offer than the incumbent Mayor. He has ideas, enthusiasm, empathy. What does Mandell have to offer?

We have yet to hear any of those ideas.  We know he has them, because he keeps telling us that, but I have heard nothing solid on what kind of changes he wants to make and where. 

How he will address budget needs.? 

His ideas for spending the grant and such the covid money that the state provided?

What are his ideas on the homeless problem that is everywhere in that city?

Can he negotiate with the various unions they city employs when the time comes?

It's too early to think yet and my coffee awaits, but those pop into my head.

• Like 1