TTL News

Race For Mayor In Elmira Is Set

Enjoy your coffee. Has Mandell elaborated on his plans for the city?  I'm not sure that there is much left of the covid money. Not after spending $1million on an underground sprinkler system for the Mark Twain golf course.

Homelessness needs to be addressed on many levels. How, obviously, to get people off the streets, but also how to avoid the problem in the first place. This is not something that a candidate can address, but the Mayor can. What has Mandell done?

Negotiating with unions? Why not? Jim talks to everyone, from every walk of life. Does Mayor Mandell?

If you have yet to hear any of those ideas, you have not been listening. Mandell and Jim have now debated twice. He has a comprehensive website, and is on Facebook and Nextdoor where he has had lengthy discussions about issues that matter to his followers.  If you have these questions, why don't you ask him?

This reply is to Ann's comment " He just seemed unprepared with no definitive plan to remedy the City’s problems."

How many people running for office have a definitive plan? Come to that, how many people in office have a definitive plan?

Elmira has a City Manager/Council form of government. The Mayor actually has very little power. He sets the agenda for meetings; he can form committees and Commissions. As such he sets the tone for the City. He has to work with the rest of the Council and the City administration. But he can use his position to work with the many wonderful organizations that exist in the city.

He has a huge agenda to transform the City from - to use his phrase - a drive through to a drive to. He will go after slumlords, and organizations like Arnot who buy up properties, let them detiorate until they need to be torn down for another parking lot. Revitalize the city center, build communities, house the homeless, encourage community policing, diverse small businesses, and bring back pride in the city. He is also very strong on historic preservation to maintain our heritage, and the character of the city.

don't forget turning water to wine

There is not much COVID money left. Mandell has spent it all on useful things like an underground sprinkler system for the Mark Twain golf course.

So far,the current City management has not done an awful lot about homelessness, except to clear encampments. Jim has already met several homeless and formerly homeless people. I imagine that he will establish a commission to study the reasons and look for answers. A candidate can have lofty ideas, but it takes co-operation to make things happen.

On 10/5/2023 at 10:03 PM, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

My guy Hassell has more to offer than the incumbent Mayor. He has ideas, enthusiasm, empathy. What does Mandell have to offer?

then he needs to articulate those using specifics...toute de suite because it certainly seems as though he does not.

Mandell may not have much of a clue either, but the ability to cite specific thoughts, actions or plans is enough to put him ahead of Mr. Hassle

Jim has a vision for Elmira summed up in three words on his cards, which has so far been given to nearly 3000 people.  Those words are Community, Vitality, Pride.  Thee are many routes to that ideal; some will work others may not.  The same card lists some f the things that he stands for: public involvement; revitalization of the downtown and other communities; affordable housing (and making the existing housing projects by adding amenities like transportation, landscaping, gardens, more playgrounds for children, basketball courts (or at least hoops); sheltering the homeless; community policing toreduce crime; better mental health services; recreation and tourism; historic preservation (he will NOT tear down Brand Park pool but work to preserve the shell, and re-purpose the interior, the $600,000 the city has budgeted for removal could go a long way to creating something of interest while preserving an iconic structure. Brand Park already has a splash pad which, it seems, does not work); local entrepreneurship; fiscal responsibility (as you say, the Relief money could be used in ways that benefit those who suffered the most); open and accountable government at all levels; and term limits.

All of this is on his website for anyone who is interested.

Mandell knows the City programs; Jim only knows of a few. Part of that open government thing. There is little point in going to Council meetings, unless you want to talk. oou certainly don't learn anything.

I repeat, Jim has a vision. Mandell does not - beyond serving four terms.

Just to be a little snarky here- why should I take you seriously when you read a post about Jim HASSELL, and then respond, 20 minutes later with a comment about Mr. Hassle? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was auto-correct, the bane of my life.

Edited by Elizabeth Whitehouse

3 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was auto-correct, the bane of my life.

Frankly, you could have just done that without the snark.

I suppose so. But small errors like that annoy me.  It shows that the person posting has not bothered to read what they written.  I doubt that autocorrect would spell hassle with a capital.

7 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Again I don't know how to edit posts. There should be a "have" between they and written

I'm on my laptop and not the phone but this button appears on the bottom after I have posted so I can correct if needed,  There is also the "quote" button that you can click on the post you want to reference when you reply so we know who you are responding to.  Not sure how that works on the phone.image.png.4e17207c89d68197f33cf3b8335fbff0.png

image.png

11 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I suppose so. But small errors like that annoy me.  It shows that the person posting has not bothered to read what they written.  I doubt that autocorrect would spell hassle with a capital.

You literally just posted a wall of text extolling the virtues of your candidate four posts above, loaded with typos. Yet you take someone else to task for the same?

And actually, autocorrect would, in fact, capitalize the word “hassle” when it is preceded by Mr. Because the next word is expected to be the surname. ( See what mine did there? )

Get over yourself. And get back on topic. 

3 hours ago, KarenK said:

Not sure how that works on the phone.

Exactly the same. 

23 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

It shows that the person posting has not bothered to read what they written.

are you trying to get a rise out of people? I mean its just too coincidental that you type this right after multiple posts with spelling or grammatical errors.

23 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Again I don't know how to edit posts.

if you practiced what you lament about others, you'd have much less need of the edit button that is available...

Back on topic: no one disputes Mr. Hassle has ideas about what could be done; the issue is there are no real substantive plans of going about achieving them. Anyone can say they want to honor the past, reduce taxes, house the homeless, and yes, it sounds really great. I want to patent an invention that will revolutionize healthcare and reduce costs

Edited by Adam

No, Adam, I am not trying to get a rise out of people. As I said, I am not a very good typist and I sometimes make mistakes, which I recognize and would like to correct. If I could see a way to do so.

Mr. Hassell certainly does have ideas, but as I said before, it is difficult to form a "substantive" plan without input from the City, the Council and the public.  That will be his first action.

And which topic would that be? I thought we were talking about the best candidate for Mayor of Elmira. A topic which I have addressed many times.

BTW, Karen said that one can always choose the edit button. Unfortunately that option does not appear for me.

6 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Unfortunately that option does not appear for me.

I found the problem and that should be fixed now. 

In the meantime you can always proofread your intended post and make corrections or edit on your laptop . 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 11:11 PM, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

To Hal. I do use my laptop, But I assure you that there was no edit button anywhere that I could see.  Chris has fixed the problem.

I won’t bother you with the minutia but I would ask this . If you are typing out an actual meat space letter on your laptop how do you fix any typo’s ? Just curious…

5 minutes ago, Hal said:

I won’t bother you with the minutia but I would ask this . If you are typing out an actual meat space letter on your laptop how do you fix any typo’s ? Just curious…

You seem to be implying that I should just fix typos before posting. I do, quite often. My problem was when I only caught the typo after posting.