TTL News

Race For Mayor In Elmira Is Set

I never “ imply anything “  I straight up ask what I wish to know . And also assure you that I never “ seem “ , to be anything other than what and who I am . It was a legitimate question , so lets not assume it was anything but just that . I am however happy to know that Chris was able to help you … he’s a pretty good guy and must have had a good upbringing! 

Edited by Hal
Needed editing…
  • Haha 2

I had a great seat for both debates and let me just say, Jim Hassell failed to really show any growth over both debates, not offering up solutions except "We gotta get better" and then trying to downplay the whole Nick Grosso DUI thing was so bad. Considering I seen no campaigning, he came in 10 minutes before the debate with no prep, he has no chance at winning this election. 

• Like 2

Mr.Hasselhoff just looks like a flake from Ithaca. He does not stand a snowballs chance in hell at winning.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LocalSportsGuy said:

I had a great seat for both debates and let me just say, Jim Hassell failed to really show any growth over both debates, not offering up solutions except "We gotta get better" and then trying to downplay the whole Nick Grosso DUI thing was so bad. Considering I seen no campaigning, he came in 10 minutes before the debate with no prep, he has no chance at winning this election. 

I have to disagree.  I think Jim has a very good chance of winning this election. His ideas about creating community, revitalizing the downtown and depressed areas throughout the city; taking on slumlords to improve the housing market, housing the homeless, and many other issues have really resonated with the more than 3000 people with whom he has had contact, so far.

Debates, remember, are very much like a trial - you get to answer the questions put to you by the prosecution, and that's it.

The League of Women Voters is holding a candidates' forum on October 26th

4 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Mr.Hasselhoff just looks like a flake from Ithaca. He does not stand a snowballs chance in hell at winning.

How many flakes from Ithaca do you know?  And what is wrong with being "an eccentric, or unconventional person"? The dictionary definition also includes unreliable. However, that is not applicable. If Jim says he will do something, he will.

I think - if you look at the numbers - that he has much more than a snowball's chance of winning.

Edited by Elizabeth Whitehouse

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I think - if you look at the numbers - that he has much more than a snowball's chance of winning.

For curiosity's sake, can you provide those numbers?

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I was curious about that myself.  Also specific to 3,000 people he spoke with 😶 in a city of approximately 26,000 people with a conservative majority isn't pulling in his favor.

That said, I don't disagree that those people want the things he mentioned.  I think we all do.  It's a question as to whether the party line voters feel he can accomplish these things.  They would have to have strong feelings about it to jump party lines.  I don't think you have those numbers.

Edited by Chris
Removed erroneous spoiler buttons.

PS - there are no hidden contents.  Hit the wrong button and although I can edit a post already made, it would not let me remove that spoiler alert.

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

How many flakes from Ithaca do you know?  And what is wrong with being "an eccentric, or unconventional person"? The dictionary definition also includes unreliable. owever, that is not applicable. If Jim says he will do something, he will.

Well I lived in Ithaca for 30 years so just a couple. Lets see those numbers 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

. If Jim says he will do something, he will

Benefit of the doubt here . 
Had I heard more substance from Mr Hasselle , other than the old revitalization and homing the homeless schtick , I could maybe see that he could stand a chance ! But at this time I see/ hear the same old same old just from another pie hole  . I mean give me something New , something Good that I could possibly get behind ! 

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

PS - there are no hidden contents.  Hit the wrong button and although I can edit a post already made, it would not let me remove that spoiler alert.

I took care of it for ya.

6 hours ago, Hal said:

Had I heard more substance from Mr Hasselle , other than the old revitalization and homing the homeless schtick , I could maybe see that he could stand a chance ! But at this time I see/ hear the same old same old just from another pie hole  . I mean give me something New , something Good that I could possibly get behind ! 

I don't know what you want. Anyone happy with the current administration will not vote for Jim. That is obvious.  But if you feel that life in Elmira could improve for most of its residents, then you should, perhaps, vote for someone new. Talk to him. Share with him your ideas for improvements.

6 hours ago, KarenK said:

I was curious about that myself.  Also specific to 3,000 people he spoke with 😶 in a city of approximately 26,000 people with a conservative majority isn't pulling in his favor.

That said, I don't disagree that those people want the things he mentioned.  I think we all do.  It's a question as to whether the party line voters feel he can accomplish these things.  They would have to have strong feelings about it to jump party lines.  I don't think you have those numbers.

I do have those numbers. There are only just over 13,000 registered voters in Elmira, and the largest group among those is Democrats - 5067, as of April this year. Then there are 4330 blanks (or unaffiliated). They can vote either way. 3564 Republicans and 200 Conservatives.

I would say that the numbers are very favourable, and that you need to revise your view that there is a conservative majority - of voters. The people who matter.

Just now, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I do have those numbers. There are only just over 13,000 registered voters in Elmira, and the largest group among those is Democrats - 5067, as of April this year. Then there are 4330 blanks (or unaffiliated). They can vote either way. 3564 Republicans and 200 Conservatives.

I would say that the numbers are very favourable, and that you need to revise your view that there is a conservative majority - of voters. The people who matter.

I guess you may be right "on paper" but yet for quite a number of years now, red seems to dominate.  Maybe your folks are not coming out to vote?

11 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I guess you may be right "on paper" but yet for quite a number of years now, red seems to dominate.  Maybe your folks are not coming out to vote?

This is definitely a problem. I think that - apart from lethargy - many Democrats have not bothered to vote because they have bought into the idea that this is  a RED city and their vote isn't going to make a difference. And that they were not frightfully enthusiastic about the candidates. Hopefully that is changing. There are good candidates running for Council this year.

12 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I don't know what you want. Anyone happy with the current administration will not vote for Jim. That is obvious.  But if you feel that life in Elmira could improve for most of its residents, then you should, perhaps, vote for someone new. Talk to him. Share with him your ideas for improvements.

As I said , I heard nothing new ! Just the same as the present Mayor spewing all the talking points that City Officials have been regurgitating since 1972 ! 
Give us something New … something we haven’t heard . If Mr Hasselle truly wants Ideas for improvement of the City he has but to talk with residents and listen to and echo their concerns. But he has not done that echoing when on the perfect forum to air those concerns. Now if he has been out door to door as you say , why has he not brought the concerns and ideas to light at debate ? 

I have to disagree.  I think Jim has a very good chance of winning this election. His ideas about creating community, revitalizing the downtown and depressed areas throughout the city; taking on slumlords to improve the housing market, housing the homeless, and many other issues have really resonated with the more than 3000 people with whom he has had contact, so far.

Debates, remember, are very much like a trial - you get to answer the questions put to you by the prosecution, and that's it.

The League of Women Voters is holding a candidates' forum on October 26th

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Yes I can. And I have done so in another post to KarenK (I think)

But here they are again, from the Board of Elections: democrats 5067; republicans 3564.  Plus others.

1 hour ago, Hal said:

As I said , I heard nothing new ! Just the same as the present Mayor spewing all the talking points that City Officials have been regurgitating since 1972 ! 
Give us something New … something we haven’t heard . If Mr Hasselle truly wants Ideas for improvement of the City he has but to talk with residents and listen to and echo their concerns. But he has not done that echoing when on the perfect forum to air those concerns. Now if he has been out door to door as you say , why has he not brought the concerns and ideas to light at debate ? 

If you think that Jim is only offering the same as the current Mayor, you were not listening.

A debate is a very limited forum, with little opportunity to introduce new topics. The candidates are at the mercy of the moderator.

I suspect that you have not explored his website which offers insight to many different topics

12 hours ago, KarenK said:

This is 100% true. 

Once upon a time, Democratic candidates such as Jim Hare, John Tonello and the likes regularly won Mayoral elections. Although the County BOE website does not list results before 2013.....I know Sue Skidmore won the seat at least once (in 2011). But it appears that since her term.....the City seems to have lost confidence in Democrats. 

In 2015, the Dem/Working Party, etc candidate received 801 votes to 2880 for the Rep/Con candidate.

In 2019, the Dem/Working Party, etc candidates received 884 votes to 2257 for the Rep/Con candidate.

image.png.ccfd7e1c2ecdd6f45e03e803ced80476.png

As I noted in the "Worst Small Cities" topic, I don't think Elmira is perfect....but I have to admit that it has seen some improvement in the time Mandell has been in office. 

On 10/18/2023 at 3:08 PM, KarenK said:

There are enough Dems and blanks to win without anyone changing party lines (not likely to happen, except in a very few cases).

On 10/18/2023 at 2:58 PM, Chris said:

I have done several times now. Roughly speaking the demographics are 30% unafilliated, 32% republican and 35% Dems.

I can't find your post saying that candidates should anticipate what the questions for a debate are going to be.  Perhaps so, but the moderator selects the questions that come in, and that can skew the conversation.  Out of curiosity, have you participated in many debates?

On 10/18/2023 at 10:15 PM, Hal said:

The concerns of the people are well-known and very generic.  Answers tend to be the same.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:15 PM, Hal said:

Just what would you like to hear?  Residents tend to come up with the same list of issues - streets, crime, drugs, lack of jobs etc.    Talking points are not the problem. Voting is. Nowadays, we are ruled by the voice of about 30% of the population.

On 10/18/2023 at 3:18 PM, Hal said:

What could you possibly get behind?  What does Mandell have to offer?