Chris

First Arena

Joe Roman gave a quarterly CCIDA update at this week's Budget Meeting (Video HERE)

At about the 52:00 minute mark, he talked about the Arena, its current status and bother the progress and challenges that Donner has reported. 

At around 54:30.....Tom Sweet noted that interest from a leader in High School Sports in the Arena hosting the HS Basketball Championships.

Then a revelation was made that the Basketball Court (apparently along with tens of thousands of dollars of "very expensive time clocks" and up to half a million dollars of equipment in total) are 'gone' and there is a question of when/where it was removed and that CCIDA may not have the means to locate or recover any assets missing from the property. Huh?? 

Edited by MsKreed

3 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Joe Roman gave a quarterly CCIDA update at this week's Budget Meeting (Video HERE)

At about the 52:00 minute mark, he talked about the Arena, its current status and bother the progress and challenges that Donner has reported. 

At around 54:30.....Tom Sweet noted that interest from a leader in High School Sports in the Arena hosting the HS Basketball Championships.

Then a revelation was made that the Basketball Court (apparently along with tens of thousands of dollars of "very expensive time clocks" and up to half a million dollars of equipment in total) are 'gone' and there is a question of when/where it was removed and that CCIDA may not have the means to locate or recover any assets missing from the property. Huh?? 

i found that interesting too, not only to person that "took" the items but whoever was responsible at the time for knowing what was in the building and who owned versus leased needs to be bounced asap

14 minutes ago, Adam said:

i found that interesting too, not only to person that "took" the items but whoever was responsible at the time for knowing what was in the building and who owned versus leased needs to be bounced asap

And for all the lamenting that the previous lease failed to include any inventory, responsibility or ownership of equipment.....no one thought to make a point to ensure those things are included in the CURRENT Lease Agreement?

I'm not too happy that Smith wants to throw ARP funds at replacing the missing equipment. But whether or not any new tax money is poured into the facility or not.....given that a half a million in assets disappeared sometime in the last few years, wouldn't it seem prudent to make a list of every single item (from $25k sports timing clocks, down to office furniture) that is taxpayer property???

• Like 2

Posted this morning to the Chemung County Executive Facebook page:

Earlier this week I was furnished with an e-mail dated June 9, 2022 that was sent to Joe Roman, the Executive Director of Chemung County Industrial Development Agency, the e-mail was sent by IDA board member and county legislator Mark Margeson. The e-mail outlines Mr. Margeson’s frustration with the IDA’s inability to retrieve several items of property that are allegedly missing from the First Arena and belong to the IDA. The items were allegedly taken by the First Arenas former tenant “CAN/USA Sports”.

The list of items furnished in the e-mail are as follows: 
• DakTronic service manuals (two) 
• Video Security System Manual 
• Metal Dock Plate  Custom Floor Drain Inserts (two) 
• Suction Cups (Four)  Plug Manifolds for power drops (five or six) 
• Kitchen tray transfer boxes (not sure of proper description, two) 
• Welder in hot boxes from kitchen 
• Wooden Floor ramp (used section 102) 
• Basketball Net Assemblies (two) 
• Electronic Shot Clocks and mounting hardware (two)   
• Ladders both A-frame and extension       
• At least 3 extension ladders orange (1 8FT, 1 10FT) At least 3 A-frame ladders orange (2 28ft 1 32ft not 100% sure
• 1 6ft A-frame ladder with a patriotic theme 
• Round 6ft tables (EST), 10 or 12 on movable cart 
• Blue chairs in locker rooms at Dunn Field.  Maybe 200 total purchased bars / tubs for portable beer stands for first arena   
• 6 foot banquet tables marked Coach  USA  

Mr. Margeson raises some legitimate questions, unfortunately no one seems to have the answers. When the previous IDA President and Board approved the lease agreement in 2018 with the former tenant, there was no inventory completed on the property inside the Arena. I’m advised that the receipts for the equipment listed above can not be located as the Arena has changed hands multiple times since some of the equipment was purchased. Absent those receipts or sworn statements from individuals with first hand knowledge of what property was in the Arena prior to the latest lease agreement, proof of ownership can’t be established. While Mr. Margeson is frustrated and stated to Joe Roman in his email dated June 9, 2022, “I understand Dave Sheen and Chris Moss and you are very concerned that I continue to bring this up to you 3” the fact of the matter is that Mr. Margeson’s frustration should lie with the individuals who drafted the previous 2018 agreement. I’ve continually advised the Chairman of the IDA David Sheen, Executive Director Joe Roman and Mr. Margeson that I would fully support any action they wanted to take in the retrieval of property belonging to the IDA, as long as they could prove ownership. That proof has never been brought to my attention by Mr. Margeson or anyone else. Prior to the latest lease agreement being signed, a complete inventory of all Arena equipment was conducted and a comprehensive photo log attached. If this would have occurred once the Arena had originally fallen into the hands of the IDA we wouldn’t be in the current situation we find ourselves.

While I’m glad to see the Arena open and alive once again, I hope it receives the community support it deserves. The new tenants have worked very hard and utilized their own capital to make major improvements throughout the facility. I continually remind the IDA that the ultimate goal is to get the Arena into private hands, as I firmly believe county government should not be in the Arena business. At the end of the day, I think it’s time to move on and work on assisting the new tenants in anyway we can to make sure the Arena remains a part of our overall success in downtown Elmira.

Chemung Co. Executive
Chris Moss

I know we're getting older and my memory isn't what it once was, but wasn't there a private buyer a few years ago? And didn't Mr. Moss's actions or statements cause that deal to fall through?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Diane said:

I know we're getting older and my memory isn't what it once was, but wasn't there a private buyer a few years ago? And didn't Mr. Moss's actions or statements cause that deal to fall through?

Yes.....the previous County Executive attributed the buyer's withdrawal in 2017 to Moss's statements.

County Executive Tom Santulli released a brief statement Tuesday regarding Brian Barrett's decision to withdraw from negotiations, but declined to take questions along with other members of the Chemung County Industrial Development Agency.

The statement says Barrett withdrew from negotiations after reading a June 21 article in the Star-Gazette containing statements made by Chemung County Sheriff Christopher Moss last week after Deputy County Executive Mike Krusen — who also serves as the IDA's executive director — filed a libel lawsuit against him.

Krusen files libel suit against Sheriff Moss

At a June 21 press conference addressing Krusen's suit that was attended by multiple media outlets, Moss said his office is investigating the IDA's acquisition of First Arena, including possible conflicts of interest Moss said were posed by Krusen's involvement with the IDA, as deputy county executive and as a member of several boards, including the Southern Tier Regional Economic Development Council, which granted a $500,000 loan to the arena's previous owners in 2014 for a restaurant at the facility.

The statement says the article, prompted by Moss' statements, made "unfounded allegations surrounding the acquisition of the First Arena by the Chemung County Industrial Development Agency. These allegations have caused the potential buyer of the arena, with whom the agency had been negotiating since the issuance of its RFP last year, to withdraw from those negotiations."

SOURCE

11 hours ago, Chris said:

I’ve continually advised the Chairman of the IDA David Sheen, Executive Director Joe Roman and Mr. Margeson that I would fully support any action they wanted to take in the retrieval of property belonging to the IDA, as long as they could prove ownership. That proof has never been brought to my attention by Mr. Margeson or anyone else. Prior to the latest lease agreement being signed, a complete inventory of all Arena equipment was conducted and a comprehensive photo log attached. If this would have occurred once the Arena had originally fallen into the hands of the IDA we wouldn’t be in the current situation we find ourselves.

since the issue is being raised now, and i doubt anyone in their right mind would raise concern over 500k worth of stuff without some sort of proof, Mr. Moss has a responsibility, no, DUTY to have the issue investigated....ya know, like when he ran Sheriff's Dpt, you investigate to find evidence or lack there of....short of that, i think the exec needs to ask for the resignation of Mr. Roman at the very least

On 6/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, Chris said:

There has been a lot of great news coming out down there on Main Street this week. Including a new coach.

image.png.52273141003bfe286493ecc3d8982648.png

So, what exactly is do terms like "organizational leadership" and "leadership team" refer to? 

I guess I'd assumed this included members of coaching teams?

1 minute ago, MsKreed said:

I guess I'd assumed this included members of coaching teams?

But perhaps not an assistant coach? I don't know. I have a feeling that was a way to keep "certain people" from returning.

• Like 1

I don’t know if they may have had particular past owner in mind to exclude.....but honestly, I’d say that it should exclude any/all past management.  Clearly, every past owner/tenant of the venue failed to keep the place above water under their own operation/revenue.

As far as the team....the language does seem oddly specific and at the same time, mysteriously vague in what “leadership of the team” entails.

If “leadership” refers to coaching, then “any individual from a leadership team” would seem like it could include the whole coaching teams of past hockey teams.

Seems like they're announcing new, higher calibre stuff pretty regularly:

293057842_164429589478560_3764620646417288372_n.jpg

I've never heard of box lacrosse, but it's coming to the Arena:

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 4.03.04 PM.png

• Like 1

I have to say, the new hockey jerseys are pretty cool looking:

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 9.53.49 AM.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adam said:

that may be worth attending....maybe even partaking

I've already started reaching out to a couple artists to try and get a booking.  We have some talented artists in this area, but I like the portrait work of some of the other ones attending. 

• Like 2

I was checking out the Arena website today and I see they have Rumors of Fleetwood Mac coming in Oct. That should be a good show. 

Oddly enough they don't have the tattoo expo listed on their calendar.

The Elmira Mammoth announced on Monday that head coach Glenn Thomaris has requested a leave of absence due to family matters. His duties as head coach have been relinquished immediately

Source

The Professional Box Lacrosse Association has put a stop to the current season. 

According to Steve Donner:

...the main funding source for the league informed all participants that they will not continue funding the league . Myself and a small group of prominent lacrosse people are working feverishly on a solution to continue the season and grow the league into the future .

We are optimistic there is a solution that will work to keep the league operating and will provide updates over the next 72 hours as we have them.

We appreciate the concern and support for the PBLA and do everything possible to continue our season .

Just saw this:

MAMMOTH SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCEMENT

INDOOR BOX LACROSSE RETURNS TO ELMIRA

For Immediate Release

February 16th, 2023

Mammoth Sports & Entertainment CEO Steve Donner would like to proudly announce that through the efforts of players and coaches Box Lacrosse will come back to Elmira next Saturday February 25th at 5pm.

The Challenge Series will consist of 4 teams competing, the Elmira Renegades, Binghamton Bombers, Syracuse Spark and the Jim Thorpe All-Americans. The first game will be between the Spark and the All-Americans at 5pm. Following that the Renegades will take on the Bombers at 8pm here at First Arena.

“When we all received the very surprising news that the season was being suspended I began to get calls immediately from the players and coaches. To a man they all said that they wanted to find the solution involving Elmira, as this is where it all started back in September. They saw how the community embraced the Renegades and they knew that I co-founded the league. Thankfully, we were able to put it all together for them”, said Steve Donner.

The schedule includes 4 weekends of double headers and there will be a fifth weekend of playoffs to determine the Challenge Series winner in mid-April.

In addition to the Challenge Series players and coaches are working together with organizers to host a players invitational tournament in Elmira featuring as many former PBLA teams that are interested in participating. The tournament is tentatively scheduled for March 18th and 19th, this will hopefully be coming with a formal announcement within the week.

“We are grateful to Steve for working with us to make this a reality”, said Joe French of the Charlotte Bootleggers. He continued, “The vision Steve had for our sport was the best lacrosse we have ever played. We are grateful that he agreed to work to secure a conclusion to our season and to build a bridge to the long-term goal that he originally had”.

Ron Cogan, coach of the Syracuse Spark, added, “Elmira is the perfect arena for us to allow the teams, the players and the fans to see this through. The players had all bonded as teammates. We are grateful to the organizers for allowing us to continue to play this exciting version of our game…it means the world to the players”.

Tickets for all games will be $25 for side seats and $15 for end seats. Kids 12 and under are just $10. Tickets go on sale Friday, February 17 at 10:00AM at the First Arena box office and at Tickets.com. For more information contact First Arena

First Arena is a proud partner of this amazing community. For upcoming games visit www.firstarena.net