TTL News

Questions After Announcement That Alvernaz No Longer Police Chief

In a surprise announcement today, Elmira City Manager Michael Collins announced that effective today, Elmira Police Chief Anthony Alvernaz is no longer employed by the department.

No other details were given, nor did the release specify if Alvernaz was terminated or if he resigned.

Collins says that Deputy Chief Kris Thorne has been appointed to the position of Acting Chief for the Elmira Police Department.

So , begs the question… who got pissed in Paradise that is Elmira ?!  

This is pretty shocking. Of course there's rampant speculation on social media that the chief did something wrong, but I have a hard time believing that. I guess we'll see. 

Alvernaz has stated that the decision to leave his position was not his decision and he has been advised by his attorney not to discuss the matter publicly. 

Bringing in the Attorney puts a whole new bunch of spin on this story , but it will come out soon … remember where we are talking about here ! 

Very odd situation.  He's been with the dept for a long time.  I just hope someone isn't being sacrificed in the name of "political correctness"

• Like 3

Until proof is provided to the contrary, I’ll continue to believe Tony to be a good man. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

Until proof is provided to the contrary, I’ll continue to believe Tony to be a good man. 

Me too.  I can't help but feel he annoyed a county official or something.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, Hal said:

So , begs the question… who got pissed in Paradise that is Elmira ?!  

Kinda called this one ! A principled man doesn’t give in to petty politicians but will walk away with dignity and principles intact ! If in fact he answers to the City Council ( correct if wrong please ) therein lies the problem !! 

are there new members of the City Council? i assume that since this occurred in the beginning of the new year, it may be possible a new member(s) may have precipitated this?

13 minutes ago, Adam said:

are there new members of the City Council? i assume that since this occurred in the beginning of the new year, it may be possible a new member(s) may have precipitated this?

Don't think so. This is the election year for Mayor and Council.

11 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Did someone new take over the seat Stermer vacated?

They haven't appointed any one yet, or have not announced it. 

22 hours ago, Adam said:

No, City Council resets next January/.

• Like 1

On the news they reported that the city council ranked the vote to confirm acting Chief Thorn as chief.

There’s got to be a good reason for that, and I can’t wait for the light to shine a little brighter on this. 

of course mayor/managers concerns are that the interim chief's pay isnt going to be accurate....theyre trying to sweep something folks

• Like 1

Does anyone else think there may be a connection between the police chief, who said he was not willing to compromise his beliefs, being let go and the sudden appearance of surveillance cameras all over the city of Elmira?

37 minutes ago, Diane said:

Does anyone else think there may be a connection between the police chief, who said he was not willing to compromise his beliefs, being let go and the sudden appearance of surveillance cameras all over the city of Elmira?

Interesting theory.

We only know that they started installing them this month. 

I can't seem to discern when the Mayor/Council approved or purchased the cameras/contract. We only know that they started installing them this month. The  Elmira City Council Minutes are not easily searchable. 

The release from the Libertarian Party of Chemung County (LPCC) implies that the Council, as a whole, may not have been involved in the ARP spending. That could make one wonder whether the Chief was consulted on the cameras......

The cost is reportedly being covered by federal funding through the American Rescue Plan Act, which was passed in 2021. We are to assume that when that money runs out, the city will just add this expense to the budget at which point, the cost is paid through taxes. With an elected city council of only 6 members plus Mayor Dan Mandell as Chairman, it would stand to reason that the seven of them could come up with a plan to spend Elmira’s over $28 million share. There was a separate committee convened that included the Mayor, Deputy Mayor Joe Duffy, former Councilman Brett Stermer, and 3 unelected city officials (City Manager Mike Collins, Chamberlain Charmain Cattan, and Community Development Director Emma Moran). The process of spending that money should have been more transparent, giving the public a say in the individual line items for expenditures; especially ones that impact people's privacy. 

Even if a committee proposed they buy them, the entire city council would have had to vote on them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

Even if a committee proposed they buy them, the entire city council would have had to vote on them. 

That's what should be expected. The CCLP release seems unclear, almost "indirectly implying" that the Committee acted entirely alone.  

On 1/27/2023 at 10:36 AM, MsKreed said:

With an elected city council of only 6 members plus Mayor Dan Mandell as Chairman, it would stand to reason that the seven of them could come up with a plan to spend Elmira’s over $28 million share. There was a separate committee convened that included the Mayor, Deputy Mayor Joe Duffy, former Councilman Brett Stermer, and 3 unelected city officials (City Manager Mike Collins, Chamberlain Charmain Cattan, and Community Development Director Emma Moran). The process of spending that money should have been more transparent, giving the public a say in the individual line items for expenditures; especially ones that impact people's privacy. 

I tried to find where it's been discussed in City Council Agenda or Minutes but their site is awkward to search. I couldn't find a "Search Box" in any browser to enter keywords, and opening each link to search is too tedious. 

• Like 1

The city council voted to appoint Thorne the interim chief. Grasso and Franchi changed their vote to “yes”. Grasso said Alvernaz’s departure was explained to him personally by the city manager, but wouldn’t elaborate. Kitching was not present.

Follow up: According to a release sent out by the city of Elmira, interim Chief Thorne will be officially sworn in as Chief on Friday, Feb. 10 at 2pm

During his tenure, Thorne has worked as a Patrol Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain and Deputy Chief of Police. His supervisory roles have included the Detective Bureau, Drug Enforcement Unit and Patrol. In addition, Thorne was the Elmira SWAT Team Commander.

Thorne and his family reside in Erin. 

• Haha 1