Sign in to follow this  
MsKreed

Local State of Emergency Declared in Chemung County When Title 42 Expires

I believe Legislator McCarthy mentioned this concern at Monday's meeting.....

Local State of Emergency Declared in Chemung County as Title 42 set to expire

Source HERE 

ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) — With Title 42 set to Expire on May 11, Chemung County Executive, Chris Moss, has placed Chemung County in a Local State of Emergency in response to the migrant crisis and the potential relocating of migrants/asylum seekers throughout New York State.

The announcement comes through as Executive Order #2023-01 and places the county under a Local State of Emergency, and in doing so, prohibits municipal programs from housing migrants/asylum seekers, or risk daily fines.

According to Executive Moss, he has a reason to believe that migrant and/or asylum seekers could be transported to Chemung County, with no reason to believe they will leave. He claims there is a potential emergency for the public with the threat of thousands of people being transported to Chemung County.

• Like 1

I will not call them migrants, they are illegals.  There are immigration laws already in place that should have been enforced from the beginning.  This is an invasion.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ann said:

I will not call them migrants, they are illegals.  There are immigration laws already in place that should have been enforced from the beginning.  This is an invasion.

I have to agree with you......although I will say "migrants" to avoid too many arguments, I draw the line at "asylum seekers". 

Abuse of the definition of “asylum” has allowed the current administration to defy the law.

The concept of asylum was intended to protect people defecting from political persecution by oppressive governments like the USSR, Cuba, North Korea, China, the Hmongs that were facing genocide in VietNam...etc

But now we’re diluting those true asylum needs by letting everyone, from anywhere, claim they’re fleeing from any perceived hardship like crime or poverty.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Local State of Emergency Declared in Chemung County as Title 42 set to expire

I'm okay with this. 

It's the county exec being proactive instead of reactive, when it's too late. For God's sake, we have a homeless population in this area no one knows how to handle. Why would anyone want to add more to the problem?

• Like 1

i dont have an issue with it. in fact, if there is a quote of him mentioning the lack of healthcare availability in the area as one reason for the declaration im wondering then, the FQHC should be a lead-pipe cinch

Edited by Adam

Reply to Ann.  Illegal means that you have broken a law. Possibly a very arbitrary law. that you knew nothing about. Now imagine that you live in a country which may be authoritarian, poor, violent, discriminatory, you name it. Not too far away is the, reputedly, land of milk and honey. A huge country, the self-proclaimed richest that has ever been. Full, I'm sad to say, of people who say "You can't come here; you can't share our wealth; we're not going to give you a chance to contribute to our society or make a better life for your family."

Immigrants - that is everyone in the United States other than the few remaining Native Americans - do not come here to mooch off the country. They come here to work, and improve the lives of all around them, including their own. Where is your "milk of human kindness"? Noticeably lacking.

No one is saying they can't come here. Just get in line like everyone else did, including three out of four of my own great-grandparents did. I'll welcome you with open arms and cheer your efforts to make a better life. 

Ignorance of a law, no matter how "arbitrary" one feels that it may be, isn't an excuse. By circumventing the LEGAL border crossings, they are breaking the law, and therefore, ILLEGAL. 

It's not a hard concept to grasp, really. At least it shouldn't be. 

• Like 2

But they are our laws. These are desperate people who have quite likely tried the "get-in-line" route. The US does not make it easy to come here legally. Not even for those highly qualified in their own fields who should be considered an asset.  My family came here on an H1 visa and were able to get Green Cards quite easily thanks to the help of an influential local company. Someone from El Salvador or Honduras does not have that support system. They could wait for years and never be granted a visa. Many of them will never be granted asylum. Why? Because we are too damn selfish to share our plentitude with others.

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

But they are our laws.

Yep, they are. Obey them. 

• Like 1

Not everyone in the US knows the law, not by a long way. How do you expect those in 3rd world countries wanting to come to the US to know them.  Do you know the laws of Guatamala or Nigeria or Tuvalu?

Of course not.

Ii simply do not understand how Americans (of all stripes, it seems) can be so mean-spirited as to not offer shelter to those whose lives are unimaginably shitty. Explain to me how refugees will diminish your quality of life?

Just now, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Not everyone in the US knows the law, not by a long way. How do you expect those in 3rd world countries wanting to come to the US to know them.  Do you know the laws of Guatamala or Nigeria or Tuvalu?

Of course not.

Oh give me a break. The very act of hiring someone to smuggle you across the border or cutting and ducking through a hole in the fence under the cover of night indicates they know what they are doing is wrong. It's not like they show up shocked that there's not an "Open 24/7" neon sign flashing. They KNOW what they're doing and to imply otherwise is being disingenuous.

• Like 2

They may know that it is wrong by US standards. ut these are desperate people, and desperate people do not always follow the letter of someone else's laws. How would you feel if 1000people from Maui,, whose homes have been burned to the ground, said "Can we come and live n Elmira?"

9 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

They may know that it is wrong by US standards. But these are desperate people, and desperate people do not always follow the letter of someone else's laws.

That's a really weak argument. A drug addict is desperate for their next fix, are you going to feel the same when they're breaking into your house? ( And for the record, no, I am not comparing the two. I am comparing the disregard for laws one may or may not feel applies to them because they are "desperate."

10 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

How would you feel if 1000people from Maui,, whose homes have been burned to the ground, said "Can we come and live n Elmira?"

They're American citizens. Apples and oranges. 

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

No. I do not.

However, I'm doubtful that if I entered one of those countries (even legally as a tourist with a passport) that I'd be exempt from abiding by any of their laws that I'm unaware of. 

For instance, that there are "lengthy prison sentences public display of same sex relationships" or that "photography of government, military buildings and airports may lead to arrest" in Nigeria (link HERE).

But by your "logic" (and vast travel experience to hundreds of countries) you're advising Chris that he can expect the Nigerian government to allow someone to freely violate these laws, since it's unreasonable to expect foreigners to know their arbitrary laws???

That notion is patently absurd.

🤣😂

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 2

Still fruit. Would you welcome 1000 refugees from Maui?

They're American citizens, of course. Someone better have a better plan for them than busing them to cities that can't house them. 

52 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Still fruit. Would you welcome 1000 refugees from Maui?

Yes , I would as they are American Citizens not Illegal Immigrants  . Reading your prior posts I can see you are sympathetic to the plight of those that don’t have an “ influential local company “ to expedite their paperwork , visa ,whatever and thats so very generous of you . Look , I get it , there are children involved here , mothers desperate to make a better life for the little ones my sympathies to them . But , look at the other side of that coin . Do you not see just how many more males , younger and older are mixed in with said mothers and children ? Do you take a quick count or even have a rough guess at how these males are the majority of the illegals . These males and females alike are going to be the ones coming for the things you may have worked hard to get ! How are you going to feel if that happens , are you going to forgive and forget so readily should the unspeakable happen to you and yours … yeah sure you are ! 
 I have been to some of these third World shit holes ( thanks to Uncle Sam ,) that these people are claiming asylum from . I have seen up close how these people exist, the things they do , their way of life , you need to believe that they Are and Will bring with them what seems normal to them but would be unthinkable to the average American. Need proof , just look at some of the living spaces that are / were totally trashed … this is living high on the hog to them . 
So , call it what you will , call them / see them as you will , they are coming here , by definition , Illegally . You are welcome to your opinion of course but my opinion will not change rest assured. 

Sort of like equating six random home intruders taking up residence in your home without permission....to being willing to arrange through proper channels to have one foster child stay in your home.

Edited by MsKreed

The "shit-hole" countries of which you speak are that way because of their corrupt governments, (and limited resources), not because of the population. The population does the best it can with what is available to them.  In many cases, it is the men who come to the US to find a job, not come "for the things you may have worked hard to get" in order to earn money to send to their families. Can you explain to me how a migrant laborer or foreign construction worker is taking away from you?

Talking about living spaces being totally trashed, for 5 years I worked as a tutor for the Migrant Education Outreach Program, which offers educational assistance (and home-school liaison) to any child whose family has moved to another school district for agricultural work during the school year. In Steuben County, the vast majority of those are local. Further north, my colleagues dealt almost exclusively with migrants. All but one of the 2 dozen or so families I worked with were American.  They lived in conditions that would make a third world country embarrassed. Dilapidated, uncared for. One even had a dirt floor where the previous tenants had kept chickens.  For the most part, the kids tolerated the tutoring sessions because they had no choice. The Mexican family, on the other hand, lived in a spotlessly clean trailer and had two wonderful little boys who came to each session, bright-eyed and eager to learn. They were a delight.

MsKreed. Americans are as unfriendly to foster children as they are to immigrants. Perhaps you should consider taking in one of the roughly 400,000 children who are in foster care.

MsKreed. According to Amnesty International (and other sources): The right to seek asylum was incorporated into international law following the atrocities of World War II. Congress adopted key provisions of the Geneva Refugee Convention (including the international definition of a refugee) into U.S. immigration law when it passed the Refugee Act of 1980.

Anyone who is on foreign soil and asks for asylum must be granted a hearing.

MsKreed. Americans are as unfriendly to foster children as they are to immigrants. Perhaps you should consider taking in one of the roughly 400,000 children who are in foster care.

Stay on topic.

48 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Congress adopted key provisions of the Geneva Refugee Convention (including the international definition of a refugee) into U.S. immigration law when it passed the Refugee Act of 1980.

Your select ideas of when people should follow or disregard American law is simply mind boggling. Like, gold medal winning mental gymnastics here. 

35 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

That's rich.

Perhaps you should consider refraining from making obtuse assumptions about how many foster children my family and I may or may not have hosted over the decades....or how many children we've adopted.

And the fact that some of my family members are currently fostering at-risk children (that they chose to welcome into their home), in no way obligates them to extend their compassion and kindness to an inestimable number of lodgers who show up uninvited.

Just like willingly helping Muai victims is not the same as being Involuntarily burdened by illegal migrants. 

Maui disaster: Approximately 13,000 residents involuntarily displaced during an unprecedented one-time event.

Illegal Immigration: Over 100,000 intentional crossings every month as an ongoing occurrence.

17 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

MsKreed. According to Amnesty International (and other sources): The right to seek asylum was incorporated into international law following the atrocities of World War II. Congress adopted key provisions of the Geneva Refugee Convention (including the international definition of a refugee) into U.S. immigration law when it passed the Refugee Act of 1980.

Anyone who is on foreign soil and asks for asylum must be granted a hearing.

The current migration crisis might be less if, instead of broadening the definition of of "asylum seekers" to include things like just "not liking" their homeland.... we followed Amnesty International's definition (you can find the link HERE)

image.png.9f4ed054c2632e62feca6cf311b2e8eb.png

Also...the international definition of a refugee used by both the UN Refugee Convention and Refugee Act of 1980 do not include anything about fleeing because of  "lack of jobs" or "high crime rates":

“someone who is unable or unwilling to return to their country of origin owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion.”

I did not say anyone should disregard American law. If you - knowingly or unwittingly - break American laws you can expect to pay the consequences.

However, the Geneva Convention requires countries to be hospitable to refugees and asylum seekers. Oh, wait, the US did not ratify that protocol.