Sign in to follow this  
MsKreed

Local State of Emergency Declared in Chemung County When Title 42 Expires

Obtuse: annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand; difficult to understand, especially deliberately so. Neither of these applies to me.

What you refer to as illegal immigration is, for the most part, asylum seeking. I thought that Americans prided themselves on being hospitable and generous. Apparently not all Americans.

We (I am only recently included) have the space and the resources to host far more than those currently seeking a new home here.

FWiW, I could/would willingly host 3 families of refugees.

46 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

MsKreed. According to Amnesty International (and other sources): The right to seek asylum was incorporated into international law following the atrocities of World War II. Congress adopted key provisions of the Geneva Refugee Convention (including the international definition of a refugee) into U.S. immigration law when it passed the Refugee Act of 1980.

Anyone who is on foreign soil and asks for asylum must be granted a hearing.

I don’t believe there is any Nation on this planet that has the ability or resources to properly process the hundreds of thousands or millions that have crossed our southern border illegally to date.  Hearings are scheduled years out and in the meantime these individuals are shipped across this country to communities that do not have the ability or resources to take them.  

America and Americans have proven their generosity many times over throughout history.   There is a difference between helping and being taken advantage of.  The citizens of this country have the right to know that anyone coming to this country is not a danger to them or this Nation and the way things are now, with the vast numbers of illegals crossing into our country, there is no way to properly ensure the safety of our citizens or this Nation. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

The "shit-hole" countries of which you speak are that way because of their corrupt governments, (and limited resources), not because of the population. The population does the best it can with what is available to them.  In many cases, it is the men who come to the US to find a job, not come "for the things you may have worked hard to get" in order to earn money to send to their families. Can you explain to me how a migrant laborer or foreign construction worker is taking away from you?

Talking about living spaces being totally trashed, for 5 years I worked as a tutor for the Migrant Education Outreach Program, which offers educational assistance (and home-school liaison) to any child whose family has moved to another school district for agricultural work during the school year. In Steuben County, the vast majority of those are local. Further north, my colleagues dealt almost exclusively with migrants. All but one of the 2 dozen or so families I worked with were American.  They lived in conditions that would make a third world country embarrassed. Dilapidated, uncared for. One even had a dirt floor where the previous tenants had kept chickens.  For the most part, the kids tolerated the tutoring sessions because they had no choice. The Mexican family, on the other hand, lived in a spotlessly clean trailer and had two wonderful little boys who came to each session, bright-eyed and eager to learn. They were a delight.

So you have been to these places then like Port-au-Prince and others , cool then . Yes they do quite well with the hillside cardboard condos all tucked together with just enough space between to use as bathroom’s . 
But more to the point of the amount of young men of age coming in illegally… 

I Governments or the Dictatorships are so corrupt ( which i’ll not argue ) and making life miserable why are these young men not pushing back instead of fighting the corruption ? What have young American men and women done when faced with corruption in Governments or Leaders ? Hey there you go you got it … We Fought Back even in / for other Countries ! so please don’t try to push that crap on me ! Out of these young men looking for “ work “ how many , can you hazard a guess , are already “ making bones “ in a gang or doing smash and grabs ? And the context of my question was , how forgiving and sympathetic are you going to be when one or more of these illegal immigrants come to take your hard earned belongings or worse ? Didn’t answer that , no instead you turned it back on me ! 
So I will tell you what will happen in my case . I will again fight for what is mine , my family , my home , whatever I have worked hard to call mine in my Country , you know , the place where we , well most of us , abide by the law
And as to the housing provided for these illegals, have you not seen the endless pictures shown on News Media of the trashed hotel rooms and other housing in the onslaught of all these poor and downtrodden who were greeted by a Sanctuary City , welcomed with open arms … until they were bussed out of the Five boroughs to more affluent areas ! Boy did the “ not in my backyard “ attitude kick in . So I will once again leave you with a question. How many of these folks are you willing and sympathetic enough to take into Your home ? 

If you don't like your homeland, you immigrate. Although the US is not my homeland (but after nearly 40 years , my home), I have frequently thought of leaving this benighted country. But I have family, friends and familarity here, and i have chosen to stay. I have that luxury. Millions of people don't, and they do what they have to in order to survive.

Statistics show that the threat from immigrants is far less than that from citizens. Remember that immigrants want to be here. US citizens are stuck with what they have got.

I don't know. Do you?

But I do know that the vast majority of people who seek to move to the US are doing so because they see little hope for their families in the countries where the currently reside. All see the move as improving their lives. Ha! Little do they know that they will be moving to a country dominated by Christian Conservatives who don't give a fig about human rights and civil liberties. Or cares about the future of life on earth. The sixth extinction has already begun, and the US is to blame.

5 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

If you don't like your homeland, you immigrate. Although the US is not my homeland (but after nearly 40 years , my home), I have frequently thought of leaving this benighted country. But I have family, friends and familarity here, and i have chosen to stay. I have that luxury. Millions of people don't, and they do what they have to in order to survive.

Then you agree ( somehow I doubt ) these men should fight to survive and maybe turn their bad situation around to something even a little better ? I could respect and get behind them if this were the case but most just run leaving women and children to suffer and that to me is just Cowardice not seeking asylum. 

19 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I did not say anyone should disregard American law. If you - knowingly or unwittingly - break American laws you can expect to pay the consequences.

While you may not have come out and said it, you’ve implied that laws can be considered “arbitrary” and if someone is “desperate” then we should be understanding.

No, absolutely not.

You also, either intentionally or not, continue to imply that we are against immigration across the board. Nothing could be further from the truth. I absolutely welcome people who want to come here and make a better life for themselves and their families. I am the product of that dream that immigrants in my own family dreamed a century or less ago. Trust me, in at least two instances, they were desperate, and yet they came here legally.

Anyone who comes here illegally, has, by that very act broken our law. Not only did they disregard our law, the showed no regard for those trying to do it the right way.

It doesn’t work like that. Get in line or GTFO.

29 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

What you refer to as illegal immigration is, for the most part, asylum seeking.

Wait, so do you honestly think those people sneaking across the border at night or are trucked in by “coyotes” are going to the local immigration office to file for asylum after they get here? Please tell me you don’t believe that they do.

19 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Obtuse: annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand; difficult to understand, especially deliberately so. Neither of these applies to me.

I disagree.

When I made an analogy of welcoming foster kids (Maui victims), your smug jab telling "me" that I should consider foster care was indeed annoyingly insensitive....since your self-righteous ego showed zero sensitivity to what my personal history with the Foster Care system may be. And it sure seemed deliberate.

• Like 1

I sort of thought that it would come to this. My first impression of Twin Tiers Living was that it was - as you suggest - a forum for all sorts of ideas. But, it seems, those ideas have to align with majority thinking. There seems to be no avenue for dissidents.

17 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Statistics show that the threat from immigrants is far less than that from citizens. Remember that immigrants want to be here. US citizens are stuck with what they have got.

Erie County welcomed 500+ illegals from New York City, a self proclaimed sanctuary city.  A man from the Congo sexually assaulted an employee of the hotel where the illegals were housed.  A woman was raped in front of a 3 year old child by a man from Venezuela.   Tell these two individuals how safe it is to let unknown people into the Country.   The County Executive has refused to accept anymore illegals as these individuals are not being properly vetted.

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I sort of thought that it would come to this. My first impression of Twin Tiers Living was that it was - as you suggest - a forum for all sorts of ideas. But, it seems, those ideas have to align with majority thinking. There seems to be no avenue for dissidents.

I disagree.  Conversation and discussion is what I see.  Opinions differ and that’s fine, we can agree to disagree, but no one has tried to silence anyone.  Who knows, something might be said that could lead to a different point of view.

Ann. Have you looked at the numbers of people in Buffalo who have been assaulted by Americans? I seem to remember that there was an egregious attack on black people at a Tops store not that long ago.

10 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Yes , statistics … of all statistics most are disproven if a person opens their eyes and sees what actually is happening instead of counting on half baked studies , but by then its to far too late to remedy a given situation as it is now far too late to stem the tide of increased illegal Immigration . 
I would disagree that U.S Citizens are “ stuck “ with what we have got . Remember that even the longest fuse eventually ignites an explosive. 
But as I stated earlier you have the right of rigorous discussion ( thank you for that ) and to voice your opinion , and your Welcome by the way . 

5 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

(Bold text added by me for emphasis.)

Well, you sure worked hard to get it to this point, didn’t you?

I told you in the very beginning that all are free to express their thoughts and ideas here. That doesn’t mean you’re free from people disagreeing with you.

You’ve made numerous thinly veiled personal jabs against others who disagree with you. You’ve questioned our integrity and frankly, your arguments often appear contradictory, you’ve apparently ignored points made contrary to your own or attempt to steer the conversation differently altogether. I’m having a hard time taking you seriously to be honest.

Whatever your impression of what this site is, is not my problem. If someone is looking for honest and serious discussion, that’s what we’re all about. But if you’re looking for a place to pontificate, then perhaps it’s best to look elsewhere.

to Ann: If you have indeed provided foster care of any sort, all you need to do is say so. You have not, which leads me to believe that you have not (provided foster care).

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Ann. Have you looked at the numbers of people in Buffalo who have been assaulted by Americans? I seem to remember that there was an egregious attack on black people at a Tops store not that long ago.

That doesn’t change the fact that at least two so called asylum seekers, who broke the law when they entered this country illegally, committed criminal acts once here.  

17 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

That is your view. One that is not supported by actual evidence. Have you looked into the amount of money that these "cowards" send home to their families?

As to the money they send home maybe you could help me out with some statistics on that to help maybe change my mind . But in the immediate I will maintain that if they would fight to make changes in whatever situation they find themselves living they could stay with their families at home and not have to “ send “ their money, however its gained , back to that home .

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

to Ann: If you have indeed provided foster care of any sort, all you need to do is say so. You have not, which leads me to believe that you have not (provided foster care).

No, stop…stop right f--king here.

No one here has to explain themselves or provide their bona fides to you. 

I don’t give a flying shit what you believe about me lady, but you’re not gonna question the integrity of others here according to your batshit crazy idea of right or wrong.

I’ve been nice, and now I’m done being nice. Piss off.

Edited by Chris
Broke my own rules.
  • Confused 1

IMG_5408.thumb.png.b4967ddf8796c3e499d0a88ccc6d2da6.png

Hi, I think you meant to address that to me.

And I most certainly did allude to my involvement in Foster Care. But apparently you overlooked the entire context in your haste to clutch your pearls over the word "obtuse".

• Like 1