MsKreed

Proposal To Build New Travel Plaza Next To Sperr Memorial Park

The proposal was introduced by Joe Roman, the Executive Director of the Chemung County Industrial Development Agency. Onvo, the Scranton-based company that would build the new 24-hour plaza, says it would include a drive-through restaurant, indoor food options, a gas station, electric vehicle chargers, and showers. Onvo says its plazas typically serve up to 1,300 cars and trucks per day.

Lawana Morse, Chemung County Legislator for District 1, was the only legislator to raise a question about the proposed plaza’s proximity to Sperr Park.

“Joe, have you talked to the community to get feedback regarding a truck stop across from a park that is well used by kids and community members?” Morse asked Chemung IDA Executive Joe Roman. Mr. Roman said there have been no public meetings so far, but there will be. He said the County has been trying to develop that plot of land for 15 years.

Read More HERE

I heard they were talking a travel plaza in Big Flats but for some reason I though closer to the hospital.  It would be a good addition but proximity to that park is a definite concern.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I heard they were talking a travel plaza in Big Flats but for some reason I though closer to the hospital.  It would be a good addition but proximity to that park is a definite concern.

I agree....North side of I-86 like toward the hospital or Daniel Zenker makes sense. 

But, aside from the Park and walking trail, the CoRt 64 side is a lot of wetland and habitat that would seem questionable to bury diesel/gas tanks, add tractor trailer traffic, and all the resulting pavement runoff. 

While something like this would generate a lot of revenue for the county, I also think they need to pump the brakes a little. Particularly when it comes to location. I'd like to see a more detailed map of the proposed site to get a better idea though. 

20 hours ago, MsKreed said:

But, aside from the Park and walking trail, the CoRt 64 side is a lot of wetland and habitat that would seem questionable to bury diesel/gas tanks, add tractor trailer traffic, and all the resulting pavement runoff.

Absolutely great point. Hell, the increased road salt alone could be a detriment. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I agree....North side of I-86 like toward the hospital or Daniel Zenker makes sense. 

remember this idea is from same person that has continually been the monkey to the Arena's football

one would think public input would be sought PRIOR to proposing any projects to the Legislature

• Like 1

Joe Brennan posted the following picture:

351147062_695273115758023_1507039849366302812_n.jpeg

Tonight we had a full gallery who all spoke to oppose having a gas station being built just off 86 across from Sperr Park. Our meetings are rarely attended by more than a few regulars. This is a pretty clear indication that this project, while not something that we directly vote on as legislators, would be problematic and not find public support.

• Like 1

I watched it later on the Video archive link (HERE)

I really should have gone to bed earlier, but listened to the end. Comments took up nearly 1:15 of the 1:30 meeting, and every one of them articulated their thoughts very well.

There was a well-rounded group of people, with an equally well-rounded list of concerns.

From the Audubon Society and others voicing environmental concerns, to parents of small children and walkers, bikers and others of all ages who utilize the park......as well as friends and associates of Trooper Sperr.  

Edited by MsKreed

Anyone opposed to the travel center is welcome to buy the land so it gets back on the tax roles. Right now it is owned by the county. 

22 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Anyone opposed to the travel center is welcome to buy the land so it gets back on the tax roles. Right now it is owned by the county. 

That’s a good point.

I’m not sure how or why the County came to own that land (that used to be the Rose Farm), and I agree that we have far too much tax exempt property in Chemung County.

Currently, it belongs to the County taxpayers. So, in a sense, the people opposing it already “purchased” it (indirectly through their elected representatives). And if they (as owners) have a strong argument for how it should or shouldn’t be developed, then their representatives should take that into consideration, and weigh it against the arguments from taxpayers who support the proposal. 

At this point, I've seen few voicing support for that particular use of that parcel.....other than Joe Roman and the prospective buyer (who is not a local taxpayer as far as I know).

• Like 1

I'm fine with it going there. They will never find anything to go there that people will be happy with. 

47 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm fine with it going there. They will never find anything to go there that people will be happy with. 

I have no opinion at the moment because I have not actually see any plans for it.  I've been to Sperr Park numerous times and know the road in and how it works.  I've been trying picture this travel center and how it would "border" the park.  At minimum there will be a road between them.  Said road is the only one to the park and the only thing there right now.

I guess I need to see plans, an outline  and total proposal to pass judgement.  

I’m sure there are probably some people who won’t be happy with anything. 

Personally, I’d rather see development that brings better jobs than a retail gas plaza will.  More like what is in the industrial park across the highway on Daniel Zenker.  The traffic created by that would be shift changes and lunch breaks from employees. Or even an Amazon location like Bath has. 

When Consumer Square was built, instead of generating jobs and sales tax, a lot was just shifted from the Mall and Grand Central Plaza, leaving vacant buildings. I think this would have a similar effect.

On a side note, when IDA/STEG persuade developers to bring “manufacturing jobs” to the area I think they should set better expectations than some of the Zenker employers they have brought in.  

I think it would be better for the County to have more full-time jobs with benefits than those who rely heavily on Manpower, Addecco and other temp agencies.

We regularly have Moss and Legislators signing “resolutions” and “proclamations” to bemoan the increasing Medicaid share that Albany is forcing on us. Isn’t it ridiculous that we give tax incentives to places like Demets and CemeCon to “create” jobs where the workforce needs Medicaid?

We would better served to encourage businesses that take as many people off those rolls as possible.

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 3

I wish they would have just left the farm that was there alone, it was a beautiful location ( other than the four lane ) and a shame to see it gone. Other than that, I don't have any skin in the game on this one so I really don't have much of an opinion other than this: Someone, somewhere, pointed out concerns about what would happen to the proposed truck stop once the tax credits run dry? The last thing this county needs is another concrete graveyard.

One of the public comments on Monday was from Steve Hoover (Chemung County Budget Director), who spoke on his own behalf as a resident and taxpayer. 

He noted that economically, his “suspicion” is that the sales tax and payments in lieu of taxes will be quite small and will probably ask to have those figures quantified and made available to the public.

Of course, Hoover’s concerns were ignored the last time he made comments discouraging the Legislature from pulling 5 million from the Fund Balance to give a one-time reduction in property taxes. So perhaps financial "expertise" is only valid when it comes from IDA members.

• Like 2

Methinks the residents / taxpayers of the County should not think this reconsideration by the CCIDA is going to be the end of the matter . The reconsideration from these folks is , as in the past , been just a ploy to proceed to the long game after the stink has worn off . I would ask that the County Executive NOT agree to sign over this piece of County ( us ) owned land to the CCIDA as it seems they are already elbow deep in trying to keep the bulldozers away from that ( the Arena ) other boondoggle this Committee has hung around the necks of us taxpaying Resident“ cash cows “ in the past ! 

I think they'll  do it anyway. I think they are just buying time for you to forget and feel complacent. The county already owns the land anyway. Wouldn't be hard to sneak a deal in before public knowledge. Although a travel center or welcome center whatever you wanna call it isn't really necessary here anyways. The people flying here live here pretty much. Out of towers don't fly here unless they are visiting some family perhaps but no true outsiders who haven't been here before are flying here just to come here or vacation or anything of the nature. 

They are justifying that it will being 50 jobs(no idea what all thrdr people will really need to be doing there full time)and of course money for them. Isn't this a state push though? If they don't come here they will just go somewhere else? Wasn't the same thing recently just proposed somewhere in Steuben County? I think out by like Campbell I thought I heard?

30 minutes ago, JustAGuy said:

The county already owns the land anyway. Wouldn't be hard to sneak a deal in before public knowledge.

This is so sadly true.....and likely would have been approved before public knowledge if we had a couple fewer attentive legislators. If not for two (new) current legislators who spoke up at the committee meeting where this was presented, the public would have been largely unaware of this attempt, and it could/would have passed unnoticed.

Morse (1st district) very strongly supports families and rural agricultural communities and Saglibene (2nd district) represents Big Flats.  Their predecessors (Pastrick and Manchester) would have most likely kept quiet and went along with whatever the CCIDA proposed. But once these two brought it out in the open, the public comments incentivised other legislators to weigh in (rather than quietly voting 'aye').  This sort of thing helps emphasize how important it is to choose good local representatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

This is so sadly true.....and likely would have been approved before public knowledge if we had a couple fewer attentive legislators. If not for two (new) current legislators who spoke up at the committee meeting where this was presented, the public would have been largely unaware of this attempt, and it could/would have passed unnoticed.

Morse (1st district) very strongly supports families and rural agricultural communities and Saglibene (2nd district) represents Big Flats.  Their predecessors (Pastrick and Manchester) would have most likely kept quiet and went along with whatever the CCIDA proposed. But once these two brought it out in the open, the public comments incentivised other legislators to weigh in (rather than quietly voting 'aye').  This sort of thing helps emphasize how important it is to choose good local representatives.

Sadly nobody would know what goes on behind closed doors. These guys may just state things to keep their jobs(meaning a guy like Strange who has been at his post forever, not the newer guys who brought attention to him)I do find it funny though one of the guys I saw speak out was Brennan. I remember when Manchester passed how he made a big post talking about him as a big mentor to him. Just ironic though with what you said t hose older fellows wouldn't have batted an eye. Maybe these two newcomers weren't going to get any of the potential cut of the pot given to the lawmakers who would have made this deal get done. Kudos to them. My gut still doesn't see this ending up well. Just delayed until a certain time. Maybe I'll be wrong. Seems like any time something like this goes public promises are made and the opposite occurs. 

https://www.mytwintiers.com/news-cat/top-stories/the-project-will-not-move-forward-in-this-community-truckstop-not-coming-to-sperr-park-ida-confirms/

BIG FLATS, N.Y. (WETM) — The proposal for a planned truck stop that would have been implemented off of Interstate 86 in Big Flats across from Sperr Memorial Park has been shut down, the Chemung County Industrial Development Agency confirms. Mark Margeson, Chairman of the IDA and Chemung County Legislature, told 18 News that the project will not be coming to that location after an IDA meeting on Thursday, July 13.

• Like 3

Looks like this is dead in the water. It's too bad they couldn't find a better place for it, that's potentially a lot of revenue. 

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Looks like this is dead in the water. It's too bad they couldn't find a better place for it, that's potentially a lot of revenue. 

I've said for a long time that the IDA/STEG need to devote some resources to derelict and vacant properties that are a blight across Chemung County.  Building on undeveloped property should wait until the majority of existing commercial property is rehabilitated.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Building on undeveloped property should wait until the majority of existing commercial property is rehabilitated.

Amen! Lord knows there's enough to choose from!

Whoever owns the old Hills plaza may as well tear that place down. There was a video on YouTube with some guy touring the inside and it's so run down that no one is gonna want to fix it up in order to use it. 

• Like 1

What about that old dead plaza that had Ames. Didn't it also have a drug store called pharmhouse? Another lot just sitting there and dead. Looking like an eye sore.