TTL News

Local News Bites

I saw this on Facebook this week:

Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 1.34.34 PM.png

Not sure if this was originally sent in to Star Gazette or what. Anyhow, what's your thoughts on the matter?

• Like 1

He has a point.  There is no place for people to live in Elmira.  Heck there is no place for people to live anywhere around here right now that would be considered "affordable" . 

Horseheads went through that same backlash when they approved the apartment complex on Gardner Rd.  The neighborhood right behind is a little "high end" and had a fit about ruining their housing values, crime that would move in and all kinds of nonsenses.  Nothing of the sort materialized and they are beautiful well kept apartments.  Rent controlled, NOT section 8 although I believe some get subsidies.  You have to be employed to even be considered.  It's all about strong oversight and management of the complexes.

Elmira needs the same thing.  Horseheads needs more.

Even the most recent master plan poll in Erin indicated the residents here (who are more than happy with our small town feel) have indicated that more affordable housing was needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KarenK said:

He has a point.  There is no place for people to live in Elmira.  Heck there is no place for people to live anywhere around here right now that would be considered "affordable" . 

Horseheads went through that same backlash when they approved the apartment complex on Gardner Rd.  The neighborhood right behind is a little "high end" and had a fit about ruining their housing values, crime that would move in and all kinds of nonsenses.  Nothing of the sort materialized and they are beautiful well kept apartments.  Rent controlled, NOT section 8 although I believe some get subsidies.  You have to be employed to even be considered.  It's all about strong oversight and management of the complexes.

Elmira needs the same thing.  Horseheads needs more.

Even the most recent master plan poll in Erin indicated the residents here (who are more than happy with our small town feel) have indicated that more affordable housing was needed.

Elmira does not need more low-income housing projects. If there is one thing such projects have in common, it is keeping its residents low-income. Any housing projects should be mixed income.

And there are lots, I mean lots, of empty properties.

one argument is that Yes, there IS a need for housing in almost any area of the country; the real concern is what kind of housing? these residents are likely envisioning another Dewitsburg/Hathorn court/Jones Court development...and can anyone really blame them? Elmira is not exactly the vision of middle-class white picket fencing and frankly any deals the City has entered into these last 20+ years would make the Village Idiot wince.

As to property values i have to agree with the concern; these pie in the sky projects are funded, generally, by taxes, paid for by property owners. Now, many of these housing projects are owned/operated by either the municipality or some developer getting a huge tax incentive/write-off/grant money pay-out and therefore generate little if any tax revenues. the occupants of these buildings, by design or piss-luck, are  not the most productive of citizens, nor do a certain number really care for appearances of the property( his last paragraph is telling in which population these developments are geared towards)

in a few years when the incentives have expired, the managing group will move on their responsibility and interest to the area evaporated; do you think the surrounding properties will be given tax breaks or fair market value offered when they cannot sell? 

Mr Brinn is correct, he has a duty to ALL the people in his district. property owners, specifically responsible ones, are what can anchor a neighborhood and to the Rev's point: looking years beyond the next election cycle means recognizing that a multi-unit rental development, particularly geared towards homeless/recovery/etc is not a way to draw people into an area, at least not those with the means to rehab the large numbers of properties so desperately in need of it.

End of the Day, he must take off the Reverend cap and look beyond the "instant gratification" of housing those in recovery and legislate wisely in order to recover the housing issue this area faces.

11 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

Elmira does not need more low-income housing projects.

I wholeheartedly agree. 

I know someone in that neighborhood who was vehemently against this project and her concerns were valid. Just because you have an empty plot of land doesn't mean you need to jam an apartment complex in there. Let the neighborhood remain a quiet, open place as it's been since those families first bought their homes ( and paid taxes on ) all these years. 

As for representation, well, I have to disagree with Brinn and others on that. If ones constituents are overwhelmingly against something and you vote in favor of it, you are not representing them as you were elected to do. Yes, you represent everyone, but that doesn't mean you go with your own feelings or the feelings of a small handful of people against the wishes of the rest.

48 minutes ago, Chris said:

As for representation, well, I have to disagree with Brinn and others on that. If ones constituents are overwhelmingly against something and you vote in favor of it, you are not representing them as you were elected to do. Yes, you represent everyone, but that doesn't mean you go with your own feelings or the feelings of a small handful of people against the wishes of the

Exactly what a large portion of Any of area representatives seem to overlook! Elmira does Not need more “ low or no income housing “ . Rather than income based housing how about “age based “ housing? To explain my point a bit … At one point our family lived in the Eastgate homes . At that time ( mid to late seventies) the complex was owned by a local contractor with their own person managing. 
She would attempt , most times successfully, to keep people of like mind or ages or family types in the same buildings. It worked well for years until it got caught up in the whole Section 8 thing and they were no longer allowed (thanks to Government subsidies) to place residents as before . 
As can be seen now the whole area went to hell in a hand basket since over the years since ! 
Point is this , as stated previously income based housing and private residential areas do not mix at all
Representative's … listen to your Constituents not your own ideals , if not , step aside ! 

On 12/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, KarenK said:

I remember that. In fairness to the residents, a good portion of their outrage was manufactured by local politicians. Some Village officials were peeved that the Town didn't include them in the decision (because....duh....it's not in the Village and not up to them).  It was made out to be some "secretive" plan that was kept from voters...blah blah blah. 

And....of course, the County Legislator for that location was (and still is) pushing the narrative of it causing "drugs and homeless" problems

image.png.fb37ace5fea60d94e66de32d870446bb.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I remember that. In fairness to the residents, a good portion of their outrage was manufactured by local politicians. Some Village officials were peeved that the Town didn't include them in the decision (because....duh....it's not in the Village and not up to them).  It was made out to be some "secretive" plan that was kept from voters...blah blah blah. 

And....of course, the County Legislator for that location was (and still is) pushing the narrative of it causing "drugs and homeless" problems

image.png.fb37ace5fea60d94e66de32d870446bb.png

I know several people who live there and I've seen none of that there. Of course, when I am there I am in and out for the most part but have always thought it was very nice.

How would it cause homelessness?

Police say a large fight broke out in the early hours of Monday morning on South Main Street in Horseheads.

Horseheads Police say this happened at 3312 South Main Street.  Officers say a space was rented out for a party, which got out of hand and ended in a fight.  As many as eighty people were involved...

Source

Just one more reason to be happy I stay home on Amateur Night. 

ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) – The Elmira Police Department’s Detective Bureau has two new, full-time Investigators focusing exclusively on shootings and gun cases. The positions were created after Elmira P.D. received a New York State grant to join the “Gun Involved Violence Elimination Initiative,” also known as “G.I.V.E.” Data shows reported gunshots in Elmira more than doubled from 2018 to 2023.

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 9.10.29 AM.png

The City of Elmira received a $383,147 grant for the G.I.V.E. initiative in the summer of 2023. Former road patrol officers Tristan Hillman and his partner Timothy Murphy were hired in September. The New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services says G.I.V.E. “provides state funding to local law enforcement agencies for equipment, overtime, personnel, as well as focused training and technical assistance.”

Read more here. 

1 hour ago, Twin Tiers Living said:

The Elmira Police Department’s Detective Bureau has two new, full-time Investigators focusing exclusively on shootings and gun cases. The positions were created after Elmira P.D. received a New York State grant to join the “Gun Involved Violence Elimination Initiative,” also known as “G.I.V.E.” Data shows reported gunshots in Elmira more than doubled from 2018 to 2023.

Just skimming over the excerpt, my first impression was to question the wisdom of spending a lump sum grant on creating new positions. Getting so excited to spend “free money” that it’s treated as some ongoing, permanent revenue instead of what it is: a one-time windfall.

It’s fiscally irresponsible just like the FLOCK cameras. Salaries and benefits for the new positions will need to be squeezed from local tax revenue once the grants end.

By definition, the funding is intended to be a temporary infusion of money.

We all really hope that the Elmira/Chemung County GIVE unit is successful. But the criteria for the G.I.V.E funding is that they remain among the highest counties for gun violence in the state.  Once they successfully lower gun violence in this area, the grants end....and then those salaries and benefits for the new positions will need to be squeezed from local tax revenue.

With that being said, it’s not in any way a reflection of the dedication of the local law enforcement agencies. The following remark hits on the most vital point:

“We try to take these things further to court to get indictments, to hold people accountable for their actions,” said Investigator Hillman.

The defense attorneys know that judges are forced to dismiss charges if the investigation falls short of new legislation that requires much more documentation of evidence than the past.  Which places a higher burden on the officers who respond and investigate these crimes.

• Like 2

On January 29th 2024 at approximately 10:37am, Elmira Police, Elmira Fire Department, and Erway Ambulance personnel responded to the Norfolk Southern Railway between E Hudson St and Pennsylvania Ave for an unresponsive person.

A deceased, identified as 47-year-old Melissa Swido of Elmira, was located on the gravel shoulder of the railway. The identity of the deceased female is being withheld at this time pending notification to next of kin.

The Elmira Police Department is being assisted by the Norfolk Southern Police in this investigation.

Edited by Chris
ID
  • Sad 1

On Sunday, troopers from State Police in Wellsburg responded to a one-car fatal motor vehicle accident on County Route 60 in the town of Chemung. 

A preliminary investigation revealed the 2021 Chevrolet Malibu operated by  29 year old Isiah J. Montgomery of Binghamton, NY, was traveling west through the curve on County Route 60 when it exited the roadway on the north shoulder, striking a tree. Montgomery was pronounced deceased at the scene by the Chemung County Coroner. 

State Police say this remains an active investigation.

• Sad 1

On Sunday at approximately 1:39 p.m., the New York State Police from SP Horseheads responded to a capsized kayaker on Seeley Creek in the town of Southport. 

A 44-year-old male, Shawn R. McWhorter of Pine City, NY, was kayaking with two other individuals when his kayak capsized. McWhorter was eventually removed from the water and transported by Erway Ambulance to Arnot Ogden Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased.

The two other individuals were able to make it to shore safely. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Twin Tiers Living said:

On Sunday at approximately 1:39 p.m., the New York State Police from SP Horseheads responded to a capsized kayaker on Seeley Creek in the town of Southport. 

A 44-year-old male, Shawn R. McWhorter of Pine City, NY, was kayaking with two other individuals when his kayak capsized. McWhorter was eventually removed from the water and transported by Erway Ambulance to Arnot Ogden Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased.

The two other individuals were able to make it to shore safely. 

Crazy.  The water levels were super high.  No one should have been out there.  What a shame.  😞

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Just saw this:

IMG_6133.jpeg

shes in the area soon, to do a book signing, really hoping there is a great turnout for her

• Like 1

In case anyones wondering what the local effect of April's eclipse will be, here's an idea of what to expect:

429642386_945202426977095_7815657565063660654_n.jpeg

429654631_945202456977092_1124306012028154159_n.jpeg

22dc-trump1-superJumbo.jpeg

The Horseheads Animal Shelter has announced they will be closing:

434500121_817416000420043_1547017128087145048_n.jpeg

• Sad 1

ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) — One person was injured after an Elmira City School District bus and a bicyclist crashed in Downtown Elmira on Tuesday night.

The school bus and bicyclist crashed at the intersection of East Water Street and Madison Avenue at about 9 p.m. on April 16. According to an 18 News Reporter at the scene, the bus had passengers inside and appeared to have been traveling west down East Water Street at the time of the crash.

Source

Would not be surprised that the bicyclist ran the red light or just crossed in front of the bus.  

From what I was told, the bicyclist ran into the bus. Now, I know that goes against the opinions of the local experts on Facebook and the conviction of the public opinion court, but... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris said:

From what I was told, the bicyclist ran into the bus. Now, I know that goes against the opinions of the local experts on Facebook and the conviction of the public opinion court, but... 

Plus those "eyewitnesses" who claim to have video & have yet to actually post it.   You know damn well if they had it, they would post it.

It would have to be a dash cam and I'm not sure how someone would be lucky enough to be right there at that angle when the crash occurred.

54 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Plus those "eyewitnesses" who claim to have video & have yet to actually post it.   You know damn well if they had it, they would post it.

One of them mentioned a bike lane and that the bus was crossing over on to it.

There isn’t a bike lane there. I checked.

And yet thats where people get their “news.”