TTL News

Chemung County Executive Releases Recommendations For Use Of American Rescue Act Funds

In a statement released a short time ago, Chemung County Executive Christopher Moss released results of an informal survey of county residents on the use of American Rescue Act funds. Additionally, Moss released his own proposed uses for the funding.  

“As the County Executive, I believe we should use the American Rescue Plan funding to leverage our ability to recoup revenue losses due to the pandemic while at the same time implementing projects that will enhance the many services and activities that County residents and visitors to our County have become accustomed to," he wrote. "It’s important to remember that Chemung County has an exhaustive list of capital project needs that will need to be completed in the coming years. ARP funding can assist with some of these future projects as well as projects that had to be postponed or delayed due to the pandemic. Our plan will also give us the opportunity to assist not-for-profit agencies, private business, municipalities, agricultural, tourism and the Chemung County Nursing Facility."

Moss wrote that multiple meetings and conversations have been held with officials from the City of Elmira, County Legislative representatives, business leaders and others prior to the submission of this plan to the County Legislature.

Survey results indicate overwhelming support for funds to be used to help farmers as well as local small business owners drastically affected by the pandemic as well as strong support for projects such as a new building at the county fairgrounds to host a year round farmer's market and banquet hall. However, survey respondents showed less support for utilizing funds at First Arena and Dunn Field. 

Moss's recommendations include county infrastructure projects as well as capital improvements to county properties such as the county fairgrounds, Park Station, Harris Hill, and more. He also recommends a grant program for municipalities that are currently without or are underserved by broadband internet availability; the lack of which was a source of difficulty for many rural families in the county.

"While there is further work to conduct on the logistical implementation of this plan I believe its content meets the overall goal of the American Rescue Plan which is to not only replace lost revenue, but also to stimulate the local economy by creating a variety of projects and initiatives to address the negative impacts of the pandemic. Unfortunately, we’re not in the position to fund every project and idea that was submitted and it’s important to keep in mind that the funding Chemung County received is approximately 7.5% of the County’s overall operating budget."

To see the county executives full proposal, CLICK HERE

Edited by Chris
Bad link now fixed, sorry about that!

And still the few hockey fans want to see the county dump millions more into it and limp it along.

Look, if there was that much of a demand for hockey, it wouldn’t even be an issue. And may I remind folks that issues like mold and rodents didn’t just spring up last week. They’ve been there under CAN-USA’s time at the arena.

• Like 2

I agree to let the arena die and hopefully put something that will be used by more than 5% of the population.  

I also think the should invest some money into Dunn Field.  I like Dunn Field and would like to see more use out of it. Maybe a concert or exhibition games. 

14 hours ago, Kevin said:

I also think the should invest some money into Dunn Field.

I guess for me it would depend on what that money was to be used for. You have any ideas Kevin?

Personally, I don't want to see this pandemic become like the flood of '72 to be blamed for everything going forward. Other communities, equally devastated by Agnes, have managed to recover while we languished for 50 years. 

Many businesses were flailing (and some already receiving taxpayer bailouts) before the Governor's shutdowns. Covid shutdowns hastened their demise....but were not the the underlying cause. Some due to poor visibility/traffic flow, crippling taxes, licensing, codes and/or regulations....or simply lack of market demand.

I think any lump sums of "Rescue" funds for any enterprise without considering whatever pre-existing challenge contributed to decline would be a horrible plan.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kevin said:

I also think the should invest some money into Dunn Field.  I like Dunn Field and would like to see more use out of it. Maybe a concert or exhibition games. 

Unless we can identify (and remedy) why this wasn't happening before the shutdowns, ARP funds would be just an expenditure rather than an "investment". 

Were events offered that the public did or didn't show up for? Why or why not?

Were those events poorly advertised, cut-rate [low demand, low interest] acts, high interest but low prices that didn't cover expenses, bad weather, parking/location inconvenient, scheduled at bad times of the day/week? 

Does anyone recall when Chemung County hosted a wildly successful air show every year? Where near-NASCAR sized crowds came from across the eastern seaboard to see the Blue Angels and Golden Eagles? And many local businesses boomed from the influx? And it made the news in Buffalo and Albany?

Then we cut expenses and replaced the Blue Angels with a big Truck as the main attraction, and started charging out of state vendors to set up their concessions inside the fence. Then they changed dates around because they blamed plummeting ticket sales on the hot weather. 

Then we invested in The Wings of Eagles facility....because that would bring the crowds back. But never proposed to bring back the Blue Angels and see if the crowds might return for the event that they'd actually turned out for in the past.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Does anyone recall when Chemung County hosted a wildly successful air show every year? Where near-NASCAR sized crowds came from across the eastern seaboard to see the Blue Angels and Golden Eagles? And many local businesses boomed from the influx? And it made the news in Buffalo and Albany?

Then we cut expenses and replaced the Blue Angels with a big Truck as the main attraction, and started charging out of state vendors to set up their concessions inside the fence. Then they changed dates around because they blamed plummeting ticket sales on the hot weather. 

Then we invested in The Wings of Eagles facility....because that would bring the crowds back. But never proposed to bring back the Blue Angels and see if the crowds might return for the event that they'd actually turned out for in the past.

This is an interesting observation. 

A couple things can absolutely kill a successful event, greed being one of them. As soon as some see there's more money to be made, they will find a way to dip their beaks even more than before. Eventually vendors and others catch on and stop participating. 

Yeah, you have to change things up a little now and then: new musical acts, new attractions, etc. or eventually it stagnates and people find something else to do. I've seen some of the best music festivals I've ever been to suffer from both of these issues. And now they're no longer around. 

Problem is, you have the same people, with the same motivations and way of thinking at the helm, and they're less than receptive to new ideas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris said:

I guess for me it would depend on what that money was to be used for. You have any ideas Kevin?

I am not talking big money, maybe update the score board so everything works on it. Finish replacing the seats. As for events, I have no clue what could be done there. 

Just a thought and i may be off base with it but bear with me . 
I attended just two concerts at the Arena , one was Vince Gill and Amy Grant Christmas show . We has the cheap seats as one of our kids won two tickets from a radio promo . 
We were wayyy back at the end section and i remember remarking about how many empty seats there were and took a quick head count of actual bodies as compared to empty seats . There were , to my surprise , more people there than i thought . 
Next was the Irish Show ( sorry chris , forgot the name of it ) where we had great seating and again a large crowd but plenty of empty seats . 
Another ( forgot about ) Celtic Thunder , again great seating , like five rows back and center on the ice ! Again same observation . 
Now to my point … Size does matter ! The arena , I believe , was / is just too big a venue for concerts and shows of any kind in this area and as Chris and I were discussing last weekend , people just won’t come to Elmira , at least as many as needed to fill those seats ! 
I believe that Dunn Field would be better suited to concerts /shows etc., the size of the venue and seating would be more than adequate for attendees of the area and any from out of town that would be interested enough to make it a destination event . 
Fill the seats Consistently at Dunn Field and you would have something to brag about , let people see “Sold Out “ at the ticket office or on line and you will fill them all the faster next event , it’s human nature take advantage of it .  
One other thing , DO NOT USE A LOCAL PROMOTER ! They have to fill too many other pockets …

Edited by Hal
  • Like 2

I agree that Dunn Field is a great venue for concerts and shows however, you are limited by the weather conditions and I'm not sure it would be cost effective to try and put a roof on it.

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I agree that Dunn Field is a great venue for concerts and shows however, you are limited by the weather conditions and I'm not sure it would be cost effective to try and put a roof on it.

There is a roof over the Arena … how many concerts/ event have they had lately ? Not being snarky Karen but as with the grandstands at the fairgrounds, rain obstacles can be overcome . As for cold weather events could be booked in numbers high enough to carry maintenance costs etc. over the Winter , that is … If sticky hands were not allowed in the mix !! 

• Like 1

Similar to the airshow situation....if not enough are going to show up due to NON-weather reasons (low demand act, parking, overpriced, inconvenient scheduling, etc) certain improvements won't ever be cost effective.

On the other hand, when venues are profitable enough, there is money to re-invest in that sort of thing (please see a small tavern a few miles away that used profits to build a Summer Stage and multiple buildings as the years have gone by).

It's also important to remember that like restaurants and a lot of businesses, entertainment often runs on a razor thin (or even negative) margin.....But sometimes, savvy businesspeople understand running at a negative margin on one side.....in order to turn a profit elsewhere. They pay to offer a 'draw' that brings in sales for something else.

Cover charge at a bar may not begin to pay the band, but the drink sales that band generate more than make up for it. The band is the 'draw' but drinks are the product. Why do we think concessions at theaters and stadiums are so expensive? Because the 'draw' (sporting event or movie) isn't usually a moneymaker in and of itself.

And a product needs to be offered that the target audience for the 'draw' will want. We would expect higher ice-cream and pizza sales at a Youth League than a alcohol sales.

Edited by MsKreed

Honestly I think the Arena is a good venue for concerts if they're done correctly. You need to have the right act, the right promoter, and so on. Additionally, you need to have the right price point so that people can afford to come. There's where the difficulty begins:

Let's say you want to get a country act in the arena. According to the internet, it's a 3,700 seat facility. I have no idea if that counts floor seating or not, so we'll just use that number. 

Right off the top, you're not gonna get a Top 40 country act like Luke Combs in there without having to charge more that $100 a ticket. Someone like Clint Black, a solid draw, would be about $150,000. Divide that by your seating, you have to get $40 per person, not counting VIP seating and other incentives. I'd guess that's about the high end of what you could do ticket wise, and you're only hoping to break even at that point. 

Where your money starts coming in is the concessions, namely beer, which has a ridiculous profit margin. 

Honestly, I'd probably go see Clint Black there. It's smaller than the arena in Binghamton, which I have been to for concerts, so there's not really a bad seat in the house. Even in the "nosebleeds" you're gonna have a good view and mixed right, sound. 

Dunn Field... yeah I don't know. You have only slightly more seating than the arena plus the field of course. They did a Beach Boys concert there so we know it's possible, but again, it's going to depend on how many people you can put on that field minus the area needed for production vehicles, stage, etc. It looks like they got 7,600 people for the Beach Boys. 

And then you have the weather concerns. You would have to pay something to the artist, even if it's canceled ( at least a good contract will have that in the rider ) so now you're screwed. 

But the arena and Dunn Field is only one piece of the puzzle in this and  I'd rather see the money used for things that are actually being used. Like the nursing facility and such. 

• Like 1

I'd have to say that the "rescue" funds should go to places that had a direct negative impact from the pandemic and the governor's response. 

The nursing facility was on the edge before the pandemic....and already being evaluated.

With that said, it should only be eligible for "rescue" funds if the county incurred extra costs due to covid (OT, PPE, etc etc) and not reimbursed through some other program. 

46 minutes ago, Chris said:

Honestly I think the Arena is a good venue for concerts if they're done correctly. You need to have the right act, the right promoter, and so on. Additionally, you need to have the right price point so that people can afford to come.

Done correctly and price point ( for this area ) , agreed , are key to some success . 
But yes there are other places this so called Rescue Fund could go . But no to non profits , businesses on the edge before pandemic ( as stated  by KReed ) Local Government “ shortfalls “ and some of the others . These funds should benefit the entire County … visibly benefit , not create a couple new jobs on the upper County employee level . 
Look  , the City of Elmira is going to get their own bit of this pie and as shown historically they will screw it up ! They do not have the ability of forward thought , just “flood fear “ ( again see KReeds reference)  . 
Counties cut of this pie should not , I repeat Not include any outlays to the City with the exception of Dunn Field . 
Not sorry for my opinion on this City thing but i am 68  lived in this area all that time and never once have I seen the City do anything to move in a forward direction , always static or backwards . 
The County has a chance now that there is new Leadership at the Executive level to move forward if given the chance . Lets see if the Legislative level will do the same … sure ! 

20 hours ago, Hal said:

Just a thought and i may be off base with it but bear with me . 
I attended just two concerts at the Arena , one was Vince Gill and Amy Grant Christmas show . We has the cheap seats as one of our kids won two tickets from a radio promo . 
We were wayyy back at the end section and i remember remarking about how many empty seats there were and took a quick head count of actual bodies as compared to empty seats . There were , to my surprise , more people there than i thought . 
Next was the Irish Show ( sorry chris , forgot the name of it ) where we had great seating and again a large crowd but plenty of empty seats . 
Another ( forgot about ) Celtic Thunder , again great seating , like five rows back and center on the ice ! Again same observation . 
Now to my point … Size does matter ! The arena , I believe , was / is just too big a venue for concerts and shows of any kind in this area and as Chris and I were discussing last weekend , people just won’t come to Elmira , at least as many as needed to fill those seats ! 
I believe that Dunn Field would be better suited to concerts /shows etc., the size of the venue and seating would be more than adequate for attendees of the area and any from out of town that would be interested enough to make it a destination event . 
Fill the seats Consistently at Dunn Field and you would have something to brag about , let people see “Sold Out “ at the ticket office or on line and you will fill them all the faster next event , it’s human nature take advantage of it .  
One other thing , DO NOT USE A LOCAL PROMOTER ! They have to fill too many other pockets …

The Lamb of God (a metal band for those that don't know) concert packed the arena, and the dinosaur exhibits that came always did very well. It's not the size of the venue that's the issue it's the type of events being offered. People want modern. Not old and eccentric. Bring more modern bands and artists. It's been a missed opportunity for ages. If tags can draw big names in then so could the arena if the effort was truly given amd the concerts could be done year round as its an indoor facility but the building sits empty and not in use most of the time. 

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Honestly I think the Arena is a good venue for concerts if they're done correctly. You need to have the right act, the right promoter, and so on. Additionally, you need to have the right price point so that people can afford to come. There's where the difficulty begins:

Let's say you want to get a country act in the arena. According to the internet, it's a 3,700 seat facility. I have no idea if that counts floor seating or not, so we'll just use that number. 

Right off the top, you're not gonna get a Top 40 country act like Luke Combs in there without having to charge more that $100 a ticket. Someone like Clint Black, a solid draw, would be about $150,000. Divide that by your seating, you have to get $40 per person, not counting VIP seating and other incentives. I'd guess that's about the high end of what you could do ticket wise, and you're only hoping to break even at that point. 

Where your money starts coming in is the concessions, namely beer, which has a ridiculous profit margin. 

Honestly, I'd probably go see Clint Black there. It's smaller than the arena in Binghamton, which I have been to for concerts, so there's not really a bad seat in the house. Even in the "nosebleeds" you're gonna have a good view and mixed right, sound. 

Dunn Field... yeah I don't know. You have only slightly more seating than the arena plus the field of course. They did a Beach Boys concert there so we know it's possible, but again, it's going to depend on how many people you can put on that field minus the area needed for production vehicles, stage, etc. It looks like they got 7,600 people for the Beach Boys. 

And then you have the weather concerns. You would have to pay something to the artist, even if it's canceled ( at least a good contract will have that in the rider ) so now you're screwed. 

But the arena and Dunn Field is only one piece of the puzzle in this and  I'd rather see the money used for things that are actually being used. Like the nursing facility and such. 

Why is it always country? Look into metal bands! Mushroomhead, lamb of god, static X, raven black,, slipknot, etc.... if you watch the tags page people are begging for metal bands. And the cost point is usually much lower than country singers. And when lamb of god came to the arena years ago it packed the place! Plus those bands self advertise on their tour page. And as they are not regularly given venues in upstate it has the potential to draw a crowd. 

If the Imatter fest can bring in top bands like Motionless in White to a event that is free to the public, someone can figure out a way to make money from events at Dunn Field or the Arena. 

I don't know who they have on the lineup this year, but I am sure it is a great lineup as always.

Edited by Kevin

Old , eccentric, Country … 😆. Not laughing at you , laughing with you ( i hope ) ! Anyway these were just used as an example to make a point about empty seats . Now if you were there and saw exactly the opposite with your examples I see that as a good thing and yes you are correct new and more exciting events are needed ! But whats needed more is a professional promoter that can stand aside from the local yokels that have had their chance at the reins ! 

Or just tear the damn thing down …   

44 minutes ago, Kevin said:

If the Imatter fest can bring in top bands like Motionless in White to a event that is free to the public, someone can figure out a way to make money from events at Dunn Field or the Arena. 

I don't know who they have on the lineup this year, but I am sure it is a great lineup as always.

Yes Kevin … someone , a go getter , someone that is not so much worried about their cut of the gate or concessions or pro shop ! Someone that will devote the time and work to getting in the events to fill those seats , new blood , not the same “ good old boys “ that don’t know shite about the entertainment industry ! Of course that would not be me , but I do recognize piss poor management when i see it . And heres the thing … I have seen too much of it !!  

1 hour ago, Metalmom said:

Why is it always country? Look into metal bands!

It’s just the first thing I thought of with a wide appeal. If Slipknot or anyone else you mentioned can bring in 4,000 people, mazel tov!

But honestly this conversation is about 20 years too late. 

Oh, and welcome to the site!!

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

But honestly this conversation is about 20 years too late

Yep ! 

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

Oh, and welcome to the site!!

And yep . Welcome to the Lighter Side of Social Media 👍