SnowAngel

Sad to see WEHH Radio Gone

As of January 1st, 2023 WEHH Radio Elmira is no more.     The 93.9 signal was recently purchased and converted to a Pop Rock format.   Elmira is losing not only a key piece of the community but more of its history.  WEHH had online listeners from across the United States and world because of its unique format and community engagement.      

Edited by SnowAngel

Was just going to say that I thought they had that backwards.  Going from pop/rock to Family Life in conjunction with WEHH.  94 rock to Family Life is quite a flip. lol

• Like 1

94.3 FM will be FLN.

WLVY will now simulcast with WEHH 1600 AM/93.9 FM and WELM 1410 AM/106.5 FM.

$450,000 seems like a good deal. To bad about 99% of the listeners will be changing the station once the format changes.

It drove Hubby nuts but 93.9 was my go to station whenever I drive.  I always told him I liked that station because I could always understand the lyrics to the songs played.   

So today I was curious and did some exploring on the FM dial. 94.3 now is pretty much a message that says 94 Rock moved to 93.9. Which it sounds like it did.

Randomly, I was skipping around on my presets and on 106.5 The Pirate heard the DJ talking about something. Then I thought, “Wait, they don’t have DJs on this one.” Turns out its also where you can find 94 Rock on the radio.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

So today I was curious and did some exploring on the FM dial. 94.3 now is pretty much a message that says 94 Rock moved to 93.9. Which it sounds like it did.

Randomly, I was skipping around on my presets and on 106.5 The Pirate heard the DJ talking about something. Then I thought, “Wait, they don’t have DJs on this one.” Turns out its also where you can find 94 Rock on the radio.

great....same 10 songs on repeat 24 hours a day on 4 stations instead of one!

Arenas and shitty radio....welcome to Chemung County

• Like 1

Is there any station that played the music on 93.9 ?

Who can keep track anymore?

I don't understand why, when a new radio media group steps in and buys up a bunch of stations, they start putting them on different frequencies. For the most part, they own them all already, so why not just leave them where they are and people know to look for them?

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Is there any station that played the music on 93.9 ?

Hi Ann - not that I am aware of.  The WEHH format appears to be gone for good.

From the WEHH Facebook page:

Family Life has been given the rare opportunity of purchasing two stations that will solve the deficiencies in the Elmira, NY, and Erie, PA markets. Family Life has been approached by the owner of an existing 6,000-watt station in Elmira and the owner of a construction permit for a 25,000-watt station that will provide a great signal along Lake Erie from Dunkirk, NY to west of Erie, PA. Both of these commercial owners have expressed to us how blessed they would be to have their stations broadcasting the Good News heard on Family Life.

The combined population reached by these two stations is 480,000 people. Ironically, the final payment for the two stations is exactly $480,000!

Looks to me like WEHH will be broadcast on 94.3, sometime this week according to the news report.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Looks to me like WEHH will be broadcast on 94.3, sometime this week according to the news report.

Hmm I'm not following.  I believe their plan is to continue to simulcast 94Rock on both 93.9 and 106.5.   The WEHH format is not coming back.

94.3, 97.7 and 104.9 will all simulcast religious programming. 

With the imminent closing of its $450,000 sale of 94.3 WLVY Elmira NY, the CHR “94 Rock” brand is preparing to relocate.

94 Rock” is now simulcasting on what was Oldies/Standards 1600 WEHH Elmira Heights-Horseheads/93.9 W230BB Elmira and Classic Rock “106.5 The Pirate” 1410 WELM/106.5 W293CZ Elmira.

WLVY will soon join Family Life Ministries network along with their other Elmira area signals 97.7 WCIG Big Flats and 104.9 WCIM Montour Falls.

Edited by SnowAngel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowAngel said:

Hmm I'm not following.  I believe their plan is to continue to simulcast 94Rock on both 93.9 and 106.5.   The WEHH format is not coming back.

94.3, 97.7 and 104.9 will all simulcast religious programming. 

My impression is WEHH will be broadcast on 94.3 now, and from what it sounds like, going out to a wider audience.

People are confusing the call letters with the frequency.

FLN is going to be on 94.3. 

WLVY, WEHH, WELM  are all going to simulcast on 1600 AM/93.9 FM and  1410 AM/106.5 FM.

Since they are on 93.9, I am assuming they will still call it 94 Rock. 

Whatever format was on WEHH previously is gone. 

You also have to remember that different frequencies also have different coverage areas. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris said:

The WEHH Elmira Facebook page I'm looking has no such announcement......Can you share a link to the one you found?

From the Live Stream I find on their https://1600wehh.com/ website, they are NOT oldies and broadcasting 94 Rock station identification.  I think it looks like @SnowAngel and @Kevin are correct that the old format is gone....even though webpage makes no mention of the change and still has the tagline "WEHH..Where all the good songs have gone!" with the same logo: 

image.png.81b9d6af2a392a1e53c279346bf53579.png

Sometimes it takes a station a few weeks or months to get the notification from the FCC that they have changed the call letters. Until that happens you will hear them sneak in the "Legal ID" somewhere between :50-:10 the hour.

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

People are confusing the call letters with the frequency.

FLN is going to be on 94.3. 

WLVY, WEHH, WELM  are all going to simulcast on 1600 AM/93.9 FM and  1410 AM/106.5 FM.

Ok I see now I was mistaken. I thought WEHH was the Family Life stations call letters.

I see what @SnowAngel is talking about now. Sorry about that.