TTL News

Chemung County Politics Open Chat

On 7/5/2023 at 7:25 PM, Chris said:

I see on Facebook an $11k raise for the county executive made it out of committee with a 3-2 vote. It will go before the entire legislature next week.

Lol what a joke. I bet he's got a nice pension plan from all his years of being an officer/sheriff 

On 2/8/2023 at 9:42 AM, Diane said:

The county executive’s behavior has been a great disappointment  almost from his first day in office.

I dismissed his alleged behavior during his time as sheriff as just being something disgruntled employees would say. But now  I realize it’s just the way he is, a bully.

Moss is a turd. Which is unfortunate. His brother is a professor at CCC and he's a pretty cool guy. Guess the apple fell far from the tree. 

On 12/29/2022 at 1:21 PM, Chris said:

According to WENY News, the legislature voted to approve raises for themselves and other workers, but County Executive Moss vetoed it. Read more here. 

Lol that's pretty funny I can't lie. Real champions of the people. Of course Moss makes a play to make himself look good. Even though I bet he got a nice "retirement" package when he became county executive. Still blows my mind that the county sheriff had to become county executive. Definitely hiding skeletons in the closet, then. 

Thank You to the Legislators who voted "No" regarding the most recent County Executive raise of 7.2%( I say this having been a long-time supporter of the Exec. btw). Take out all the drama between to two branches and look at it in the simplest manner: whether Legislator or Executive, wage compression is a poor argument. We the People do NOT want career politicians; at any level, nor ones that do it for insurance and pay, for if that is their motivation, the voters are not well represented.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adam said:

Thank You to the Legislators who voted "No" regarding the most recent County Executive raise of 7.2%( I say this having been a long-time supporter of the Exec. btw). Take out all the drama between to two branches and look at it in the simplest manner: whether Legislator or Executive, wage compression is a poor argument. We the People do NOT want career politicians; at any level, nor ones that do it for insurance and pay, for if that is their motivation, the voters are not well represented.

You have a point but let's be real....if they weren't paid would they do it? Does anybody really want to be into politics to do actual work? If they did having a career in it wouldn't exist. It would be like just being back in school and it being temporary extra credit on top of your regularly scheduled job. 

15 hours ago, Adam said:

I agree we do not want career politicians nor the ones who do it only for insurance and pay and then never show up at meetings or out in the public.  However to JustAGuys point, they do deserve some compensation because those that do the work put a lot of time into those positions on nights, weekends, special committees, special meetings etc on top of their day jobs.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:03 PM, JustAGuy said:

Still blows my mind that the county sheriff had to become county executive. Definitely hiding skeletons in the closet, then. 

Not really sure what you mean by that?

4 hours ago, JustAGuy said:

You have a point but let's be real....if they weren't paid would they do it? Does anybody really want to be into politics to do actual work?

Not saying NO pay should be given, but lets look at their compensation 15k or more plus health insurance for less than part time hours(actually worked) yet other part time County employees are prohibited from getting insurance.

Many of these Legislators have served multiple terms and when topic of term limits comes up they, like clockwork, reply with  elections are the opportunity to limit terms, yet they do not/would not trust those same voters with determining whether they deserve raises or not. so they continue to reward themselves....which goes to your second point:

there are SOME who are interested in working to improve governance, that being their primary intention, not their primary source of income

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

Wow.  Some very close results in many districts.  So if any of the losers were running on another party they will probably be on the ballot in November as well.

And the winners have work to do, namely courting votes from other party or non-party voters. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

I agree we do not want career politicians nor the ones who do it only for insurance and pay and then never show up at meetings or out in the public.  However to JustAGuys point, they do deserve some compensation because those that do the work put a lot of time into those positions on nights, weekends, special committees, special meetings etc on top of their day jobs.

I can see freshman doing something....or young unestablished people but at the same time they might just be doing it to become established so they can stay. Who would turn down those perks? Especially if you're a primo BSer? I don't doubt there are some people who are trying but the ones who would try often don't last. 

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

Not really sure what you mean by that?

Potentially covering up some form of corruption is about the jist of that thought. 

58 minutes ago, Adam said:

Not saying NO pay should be given, but lets look at their compensation 15k or more plus health insurance for less than part time hours(actually worked) yet other part time County employees are prohibited from getting insurance.

Many of these Legislators have served multiple terms and when topic of term limits comes up they, like clockwork, reply with  elections are the opportunity to limit terms, yet they do not/would not trust those same voters with determining whether they deserve raises or not. so they continue to reward themselves....which goes to your second point:

there are SOME who are interested in working to improve governance, that being their primary intention, not their primary source of income

You make a good point. A guy like Strange for example has been doing it long enough. Hasn't he been a cook at the elbow room forever if I'm not mistaken? I can get doing politics as another thing to do, volunteering/civic duty or what have you but he's been there a long time. Even a young guy like Joe Brennan has been in it long enough now. Seems like it's the same names. Wonder why they trust you to vote for them but not on their pay raises. I guess nobody knows what they do come counting time. During national elections you hear of voting machine errors and votes just disappearing. Not that I'm saying Trump won 2020 but whose to say votes weren't tossed or changed. Voting by mail? Nah no way that couldn't be tqmpered with. I get it there is an honor system and you're supposed to trust people but that doesn't mean anything behind closed doors. 

17 hours ago, JustAGuy said:

You make a good point. A guy like Strange for example has been doing it long enough. Hasn't he been a cook at the elbow room forever if I'm not mistaken? I can get doing politics as another thing to do, volunteering/civic duty or what have you but he's been there a long time. Even a young guy like Joe Brennan has been in it long enough now. Seems like it's the same names. Wonder why they trust you to vote for them but not on their pay raises. I guess nobody knows what they do come counting time. During national elections you hear of voting machine errors and votes just disappearing. Not that I'm saying Trump won 2020 but whose to say votes weren't tossed or changed. Voting by mail? Nah no way that couldn't be tqmpered with. I get it there is an honor system and you're supposed to trust people but that doesn't mean anything behind closed doors. 

i am firm believer in term limits, however Rodney and Joe could not be further apart when comparing. Rodney has served his district well, has been very helpful, and is engaged in issues county-wide. Joe on the other hand is only interested in what he can squeeze out of taxpayers to help him keep from getting a real job

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adam said:

i am firm believer in term limits, however Rodney and Joe could not be further apart when comparing. Rodney has served his district well, has been very helpful, and is engaged in issues county-wide. Joe on the other hand is only interested in what he can squeeze out of taxpayers to help him keep from getting a real job

Term limits would be good across the board but it would mean too many people would actually have to try and do things besides reappear come election time. Term limits would get younger people interested perhaps. Instead of what you have now. If you're young unless you are connected there's no point in running because the same people get in over and over again locally and nationally. The senate and congress are embarrassing for example. You have people like Pelosi who are 80 some and can barely talk. You have people like Diane Feinstein and Maxine Watters who are like never present. Comrade Sanders is another beauty. Heard that guy has 3 homes. 

Every time redistricting and Term limits come up the elected officials freakout. It would limit their powers and redistricting means cutting the number of people to serve. 

This is something that popped up on Facebook in the last couple days. I'm just seeing it today:

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 9.27.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 9.28.07 AM.png

I don't see "Marilyn J. Paulo" on the ballot. The name that is on there leaves out the middle initial.

Maybe this is a case of there being more than one Marilyn Paulo and someone is confused?

• Like 1

Who knows if it's the same lady? As of the time to file petitions, the one who is running must have been legally registered to vote with Maple Ave as her address for the BOE to put her on the ballot. 

And (according to WETM) she has been a member of the Chemung County Republican Committee for decades....so it's a safe bet they verified her eligibility also. 

Sounds like a very bitter opponent is grasping at straws. LOL

When I worked for a local law firm I remember a conversation with one of the attorneys.  He admitted that attorneys, at least locally, want to get on local Boards and government positions for the benefits…period.  At that time the law firm did not provide any benefits except for paid holidays but the attorneys and their families had bennies, especially health insurance and pensions through the State.  
Term limits, absolutely.  I’d go further and advocate no benefits once leaving office.  Service to your community is awesome but not for how it benefits you.

• Like 1

Also noted that FB page was created for apparently the sole purpose of slamming this lady.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KarenK said:

Also noted that FB page was created for apparently the sole purpose of slamming this lady.

Yeah I had no doubt that's all it was intended for. 

I have to say, I like the way the Board of Elections has the results page working this year. You can break it down by how the votes came in, and is much easier to keep track of. 

• Like 1