TTL News

Police Investigating Crash In Town Of Chemung, One Arrested

The Chemung County Sheriffs Office is investigating a motor vehicle collision involving two vehicles which occurred on February 29, 2024, on County Road #2 in the Town of Chemung.

At about 11 :45 p.m. Sheriffs Deputies were dispatched to the area of County Road #2 just north of Hoffinan Hollow Rd. to investigate the collision. Upon arrival, deputies discovered an overturned van with two occupants in it on the shoulder of the road. The occupants were taken to Robert Packer Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

While interviewing the operator of the van, Chad Burgess, Burgess informed that he was driving his vehicle in a southerly direction on County Road #2 when a pickup truck approached his vehicle from behind. According to Burgess, as the two vehicles continued south, the pickup truck struck his vehicle multiple times causing Burgess to lose control of his vehicle, leaving the shoulder of the road, and overturning.

Deputies did not locate a pickup truck at the scene, however vehicle parts from a pickup truck were located at the scene along with signs of fresh fluid on the road surface. Deputies followed a trail of fluid which led them to a pickup truck on Hoffman Hollow Rd. Deputies found two subjects with the pickup truck, one seated in the passenger seat and the other standing outside the vehicle.

As a result of the investigation, deputies determined the vehicle was operated by 38-year-old Ryan E. Purvis

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 12.04.23 PM.png

As a result of the investigation, Purvis was arrested and charged with DWI and Assault in the Third Degree. The investigation continues and additional charges are likely.

The Sheriffs Office was assisted by the New York State Police.

i seen on facebook someone said this is the same guy he was arrested for assaulting a few years ago 

realnice guy

1 hour ago, TTL News Bot said:

The Chemung County Sheriffs Office is investigating a motor vehicle collision involving two vehicles which occurred on February 29, 2024, on County Road #2 in the Town of Chemung.

At about 11 :45 p.m. Sheriffs Deputies were dispatched to the area of County Road #2 just north of Hoffinan Hollow Rd. to investigate the collision. Upon arrival, deputies discovered an overturned van with two occupants in it on the shoulder of the road. The occupants were taken to Robert Packer Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

While interviewing the operator of the van, Chad Burgess, Burgess informed that he was driving his vehicle in a southerly direction on County Road #2 when a pickup truck approached his vehicle from behind. According to Burgess, as the two vehicles continued south, the pickup truck struck his vehicle multiple times causing Burgess to lose control of his vehicle, leaving the shoulder of the road, and overturning.

Deputies did not locate a pickup truck at the scene, however vehicle parts from a pickup truck were located at the scene along with signs of fresh fluid on the road surface. Deputies followed a trail of fluid which led them to a pickup truck on Hoffman Hollow Rd. Deputies found two subjects with the pickup truck, one seated in the passenger seat and the other standing outside the vehicle.

As a result of the investigation, deputies determined the vehicle was operated by 38-year-old Ryan E. Purvis

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 12.04.23 PM.png

As a result of the investigation, Purvis was arrested and charged with DWI and Assault in the Third Degree. The investigation continues and additional charges are likely.

The Sheriffs Office was assisted by the New York State Police.

Holy crap.  🤣🤣

But he's a great guy who is totally misunderstood.  Ask him, he'll tell ya.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rod said:

i seen on facebook someone said this is the same guy he was arrested for assaulting a few years ago 

realnice guy

Saw that too.  

Posted (edited)

Mr. Burgess should request an order of protection.  
I heard on one of the local television stations that Purvis was charged with felony DWI.  Felonies are handled in County Court.  The local Court will do arraignment and  hold Preliminary Hearing.  Once Prelim is held, or If DA presents to Grand Jury and indictment is handed down , or if Defendant waives the Preliminary Hearing it is transferred to County.  
Hopefully the felony DWI isn’t reduced to a misdemeanor as that keeps it in the local Court.  I always thought that happened too much.

Edited by Ann
Correction.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ann said:

Mr. Burgess should request an order of protection.  
I heard on one of the local television stations that Purvis was charged with felony DWI.  Felonies are handled in County Court.  The local Court will do arraignment and  hold Preliminary Hearing.  Once Prelim is held, or If DA presents to Grand Jury and indictment is handed down , or if Defendant waives the Preliminary Hearing it is transferred to County.  
Hopefully the felony DWI isn’t reduced to a misdemeanor as that keeps it in the local Court.  I always thought that happened too much.

It's my understanding that there was a child in the vehicle that got run off the road.  Kind of escalates the situation to a higher level I think.  

• Like 2

im curious as to the identity of the passenger

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot more comments on the post about his arrest than usual? A lot of them indicating a pattern of behavior. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KarenK said:

It's my understanding that there was a child in the vehicle that got run off the road.  Kind of escalates the situation to a higher level I think.  

If true, that could be the felony DWI, not that it was his second DWI in 10 years.  That should also include Endangering the Welfare of a Child.  If his actions were proven to be deliberate I wonder if it would include Attempted ………

Serious, dangerous and sad situation.   

• Like 1

Seems like this was an intentional assault using truck as a potentially lethal weapon. And he fled the scene with injured victims. And as Karen noted, there was a child victim to boot. 

That feels like he could theoretically be written up for multiple felonies in addition to DWI....and those degrees and "classes" could depend on the seriousness of injuries and his BAC. 

I always thought that 'reduced' charge negotiations generally involved dropping (or lowering to a lesser charge) the most serious charges..... and prosecuting lower charges. If my perceptions on that are correct.....then something like a Class E DWI itself could be a reduced/lowered charge in lieu of a some other charge(s) like aggravated vehicular assault (or the less likely "attempted murder" as some suggest from his pattern).

3 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Seems like this was an intentional assault using truck as a potentially lethal weapon. And he fled the scene with injured victims. And as Karen noted, there was a child victim to boot. 

That feels like he could theoretically be written up for multiple felonies in addition to DWI....and those degrees and "classes" could depend on the seriousness of injuries and his BAC. 

I always thought that 'reduced' charge negotiations generally involved dropping (or lowering to a lesser charge) the most serious charges..... and prosecuting lower charges. If my perceptions on that are correct.....then something like a Class E DWI itself could be a reduced/lowered charge in lieu of a some other charge(s) like aggravated vehicular assault (or the less likely "attempted murder" as some suggest from his pattern).

DWI charges are not supposed to be reduced out of that category.  You can reduce a felony to misdemeanor or a first DWI to DWAI.  
Once, I had to report a DWI reduced to a regular VTL charge and DCJS would not accept that report.  OCA attorneys called the Court.  I’ve also seen Felonies reduced to misdemeanors then further reduced to violations.  It was discouraging to see Monty Hall’s Let’s Make A Deal in the justice system.  I hope it doesn’t happen in this case. 

Thanks for clarifying.

I knew from seeing convicts in prison that there are felony “vehicular assault” and "vehicular manslaughter” charges that are based on BAC but separate from any DWI that also may apply.

So for example....

*Stopped by a roadblock with BAC 0.08 and initially charged with DWI that could be reduced to DWAI. It was a roadblock with no accident, damage, victims,et ....so no other charges. Class E felony DWI is the most serious conviction this arrest could result in. 

*Hit someone causing injury while drunk and charged with Vehicular Assault. Depending on severity of injuries and BAC (.08 to over 0.18%), it could be First Degree, Second Degree or Aggravated (Vehicular Assault. I believe those are Class E, D and C felonies respectively). And, of course, still also be charged with DWI. 

So in a case where assault and fleeing the scene with injuries are added on, one or more Class D or C felonies would also be charged over and above a DWI/DWAI.  Then it seems like the prosecutor would still have discretion to reduce the DWI, but not required to drop to DWAI, if they choose not to aggressively pursue any potential C/D assaults.

(FYI, if convicted of Class E felony DWI they are usually assigned to minimum security prisons and often eligible for "Shock" incarceration.....any higher Class and/or assault, endangerment, etc and they will almost certainly be seeing a maximum security facility instead of Shock/min security).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I hope it doesn’t happen in this case. 

I have little doubt we'll see it reduced so he serves minimal to no jail time, despite what a lot of people on social media are hoping for. 

Judging by the comments on social media, ( which interestingly seem to have been reduced in number on the sheriff's dept. page ) there are a LOT of people who don't like this guy and are glad to see him getting arrested. 

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I have little doubt we'll see it reduced so he serves minimal to no jail time,

and many of us know how he and family will see that as indication of being innocent

any word on those additional charges ?