Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Remembering Beanie Babies: How These Tiny Stuffed Animals Became A Global Craze

Beanie Babies, adorned with their iconic heart-shaped tags, became more than mere playthings. They became coveted symbols of an era, representing both the innocent joy of childhood and the dizzying allure of financial gain.

Beanie Babies were first introduced in 1993 by Ty Warner at the World Toy Fair in New York City, New York. Manufacturing began in 1994, and the toys were first sold in stores located in Chicago, Illinois for around $5 U.S. Dollars.

There were nine original Beanie Babies: Legs the Frog, Squealer the Pig, Spot the Dog, Flash the Dolphin, Splash the Whale, Chocolate the Moose, Patti the Platypus, Brownie the Bear (later renamed “Cubbie”), and Pinchers the Lobster (with some tag errors labeled “Punchers”).

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 9.48.47 AM.png

What began as a humble line of plush toys crafted with care and creativity eventually morphed into a global craze that gripped the hearts and wallets of collectors around the world.

Read more about it here. 

My Mom loved to collect these.  I’m not really sure what happened to them all when she died.  Hopefully family members took them.

3 hours ago, Ann said:

My Mom loved to collect these.  I’m not really sure what happened to them all when she died.  Hopefully family members took them.

I remember getting some of them, so yes

• Like 1

I thought she was more into Boyd's Bears?

I remember being at the station early in the morning and watching QVC where a couple meatheads would be practically screaming how rare and valuable these things were. Particularly the bears. So I couldn't help but think they would be a worthwhile investment. You know, like those old baseball cards and all that?

So I began buying the bears. And, they were kinda fun to hunt down and collect. I won't tell you the price I paid for one of them, considered to be REALLY rare at the time. I know it isn't worth what I paid now, but you know what? Screw it. In the moment, with people standing around and watching me, I was a baller LOL

I still have them all, in their little acrylic cases, because, why not? But I learned a lesson that would serve me well later as a Star Wars and other vintage toy collector: If something is marketed as a "collectible", it likely won't be worth much. At least not in this lifetime. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I thought she was more into Boyd's Bears?

She collected those too.  We have a good many Boyd’s Bears in our attic, gifts from her and ones I bought.

I thought I just heard recently these are making a comeback of sorts. I remember collecting them as a kid cause it seemed like everyone did  But they definitely never amounted to any real money that I can recall. Just like Pokémon cards another suckers bet so to speak. 

34 minutes ago, JustAGuy said:

Just like Pokémon cards another suckers bet so to speak

Actually, Pokemon cards have seen a huge spike in collectability and price for both the ones from the 90's and now. 

1 hour ago, JustAGuy said:

I thought I just heard recently these are making a comeback of sorts. I remember collecting them as a kid cause it seemed like everyone did  But they definitely never amounted to any real money that I can recall. Just like Pokémon cards another suckers bet so to speak. 

Well Ill be the sucker if you have any Pokémon cards laying around you wish to dispose of.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Well Ill be the sucker if you have any Pokémon cards laying around you wish to dispose of. 

LOL!

Our buddy in Savona couldn’t keep the things in stock for a while there. He had people coming from Rochester even. 

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Actually, Pokemon cards have seen a huge spike in collectability and price for both the ones from the 90's and now. 

But I mean at the time. Everyone had these cards but nobody ever played the game. I always wondered if there was a way to buy all the cards at once. But I never looked into it. Trading was half the fun though. I wish I kept mine to a degree. I still can't believe Pokémon is relevant in society but they made that game where you searched around for Pokémon. Never tried it.  Seemed a bit odd to me to go outside and search for these characters and then do what once you spot them. I remember after Pokémon other stuff started coming out like Digimon 

4 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

It's been so long I couldn't even tell ya my best card. I did not have the coveted Charizard though. I always wish I could have played the game once. Everyone would read those cards and say this one would beat that one because of this....but if nobody was playing the actual game to really find out all you have are the attributes the card said to go off of. 

I had no idea they were making a movie about Ty Warner, but:

On 7/19/2023 at 8:54 AM, Chris said:

I had no idea they were making a movie about Ty Warner, but:

They are out of ideas. Hence star wars is now into a borderline 3rd generation.