Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Pop Culture Junk Drawer

This section is for anything pop culture related that may not warrant its own separate topic. A quick article, interesting picture, etc. 

LONDON (AP) — King Charles III’s wife has been officially identified as Queen Camilla for the first time, with Buckingham Palace using the title on invitations for the monarch’s May 6 coronation.

Camilla, who until now has been described as queen consort, is given equal billing on the ornate medieval style invitations that will be sent to more than 2,000 guests and were unveiled on Tuesday.

The new title is another step in the remarkable transformation of a woman once derided as a homewrecker because of her role in the breakdown of Charles’ marriage to the late Princess Diana.

Source

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 5.17.40 PM.png

We finished watching “1883”, the prequel to “Yellowstone.” Damn, what’s a great series. Of course you have Sam Elliot, ‘nuff said there. But also Tim McGraw and his real life missus, Faith Hill, were really frickin good in this.

The ending was pretty much telegraphed in the last couple episodes except for one part, which I didn’t like. But that’s how it goes I guess.

There were rumors of another season, but the creator has said that no, he told the story he intended and that’s it. When I read that, I was disappointed but now that I’ve seen the ending, I get it.

I wasn’t going to watch “1923” but I was told it’s really good. So we’ll add that to the list.

On 4/4/2023 at 5:17 PM, Chris said:

I believe in the past, the King’s wife was also crowned Queen, not just referred to as Queen Consort.  Perhaps because the women were usually daughters of other Kings.  I thought Queen Elizabeth II approved Camilla to be referred to as Queen Consort but I guess Charles can do what he wants now that he is in charge.

13 hours ago, Chris said:

We finished watching “1883”, the prequel to “Yellowstone.” Damn, what’s a great series. Of course you have Sam Elliot, ‘nuff said there. But also Tim McGraw and his real life missus, Faith Hill, were really frickin good in this.

The ending was pretty much telegraphed in the last couple episodes except for one part, which I didn’t like. But that’s how it goes I guess.

There were rumors of another season, but the creator has said that no, he told the story he intended and that’s it. When I read that, I was disappointed but now that I’ve seen the ending, I get it.

I wasn’t going to watch “1923” but I was told it’s really good. So we’ll add that to the list.

We weren’t able to find this on Cinema, Hubby was disappointed.

2 hours ago, Ann said:

I believe in the past, the King’s wife was also crowned Queen, not just referred to as Queen Consort.  Perhaps because the women were usually daughters of other Kings.  I thought Queen Elizabeth II approved Camilla to be referred to as Queen Consort but I guess Charles can do what he wants now that he is in charge.

You are correct, that others were called "Queen".....but I don't think it was because of their previous station. Queen "consort" is the specific technical title of whoever is married to the King, as opposed to a Queen "Monarch" (who has ascended to the throne herself), but they have historically been shortened to just "Queen" as a title. 

Once her daughter ascended to the throne, Duchess Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon became Queen Mother. She was the daughter of some minor nobility, not a king, but while her husband was King, she was technically considered Queen consort. However, The Official Royal website repeatedly uses just 'Queen' when referring to her.

Accession

King George V died in January 1936. When King Edward VIII abdicated on 11 December the same year, his brother, Albert, Duke of York, was proclaimed King George VI, and his Duchess became Queen Elizabeth, the first British-born Queen consort since Tudor times.  

Activities as Queen

The King and Queen continued to visit other Commonwealth nations and overseas countries. Between the coronation and the outbreak of war in September 1939 they made two important visits: in July 1938 to France, and May and June 1939 to Canada and the USA.

With the outbreak of war in 1939, there was some suggestion that the Queen and her daughters should evacuate to North America or Canada. To this the Queen made her famous reply: 'The children won't go without me. I won't leave the King. And the King will never leave.' Thus throughout the Second World War the Queen and her children shared the dangers and difficulties of the rest of the nation. She was in Buckingham Palace when it was bombed in September 1940. She and the King visited badly damaged areas throughout the country after the air-raids, and toured Britain visiting hospitals, factories and troops.

• Like 1

As a side note......if she out-lives Charles, I can’t see her ever being called “Queen Mother”.  But I think William could let her go by Queen “Dowager” if he wants.

Well they have some cause for grumbling.

One, talk about an upstart. She picks up a lightsaber and suddenly she’s Master Jedi Rey. Not to mention everyone else around her is suddenly Force sensitive.

More for me, it was annoying how she fought in anger. All the screaming and grunting and lunging for the first attack… that’s not the Jedi way, she’s acting and fighting more like a Sith.

Ill give it a chance, but there’s a lot more they could be doing when it comes to news from that part of the galaxy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chris said:

One, talk about an upstart. She picks up a lightsaber and suddenly she’s Master Jedi Rey. Not to mention everyone else around her is suddenly Force sensitive.

I didn’t quite get how Rey or Luke achieved Jedi-hood, starting out as young adults. How is that when the premise was that a 7 yr old Anakin was “too old” to train as a Jedi? 

I just have to chalk it up to the idea that once we buy into the rest of the sci-fi fantasy.....there's some requirement to "suspend disbelief" about the minutia. LOL

Edited by MsKreed

On 4/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, Ann said:

but I guess Charles can do what he wants now that he is in charge.

• Haha 2

HBO Max has rebranded to just "Max", apparently because they wanted to get rid of the HBO association in the title? Executives are stupid

One of "Max"'s first announcements is the heavily rumored remake series of Harry Potter

Pretty interesting, I've actually been rewatching the movies and while they still hold up, the later ones were lacking a lot of substance from the books, so a TV series with each season being dedicated to the books has lots of potential. It'll be strange getting used to a new cast, though. They definitely have Hagrid-sized shoes to fill

It certainly can't be as bad as that dumpster fire that was "The Cursed Child", and the later Fantastic Beasts movies though!

Edited by Andy

I have no interest in watching a remake of a movie series that’s barely 20 years old (first one was released in 2001).

There’s so many stories that could or should be told but Hollywood isn’t even trying anymore. 

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A memoir from the top aide to former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomoduring the deadliest days of the COVID-19 pandemic, and an investigation that concluded he sexually harassed 11 women, will come out in the fall. 

Union Square & Co. will release “What’s Left Unsaid: My Life at the Center of Power, Politics, and Crisis,” on Oct. 24.

Melissa DeRosa was secretary to the governor from 2017 until she resigned in August 2021, just before Cuomo announced his own resignation. She was the first woman to hold the powerful position — and was known for appearing at the governor’s side during his daily pandemic briefings, occasionally answering reporters’ detailed policy questions.

Source

On 4/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, Elmira Telegram said:

A memoir from the top aide to former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomoduring the deadliest days of the COVID-19 pandemic, and an investigation that concluded he sexually harassed 11 women, will come out in the fall. 

Union Square & Co. will release “What’s Left Unsaid: My Life at the Center of Power, Politics, and Crisis,” on Oct. 24.

This might actually be worth a read. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Very fun game, but it is catching a lot of criticism for abysmal performance, shame

Aerosmith Announces Farewell Tour

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Aerosmith will be touring a city near you for the last time to celebrate the rock band’s 50-plus years together.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band announced Monday the dates for their farewell tour called “Peace Out” starting Sept. 2 in Philadelphia. The 40-date run of shows, which includes a stop in the band’s hometown of Boston on New Year’s Eve, will end Jan. 26 in Montreal.

“I think it’s about time,” guitarist Joe Perry said. 

Perry said the group, with frontman Steven Tyler, bassist Tom Hamilton, drummer Joey Kramer and guitarist Brad Whitford, learned from the staging and production from their recent Las Vegas residency shows.

Perry believes the time to say goodbye is now, especially with every founding band member over the age of 70. Tyler, 75, is the oldest in the group.

“It’s kind of a chance to celebrate the 50 years we’ve been out here,” Perry said. “You never know how much longer everybody’s going to be healthy to do this. … It’s been a while since we’ve actually done a real tour. We did that run in Vegas, which was great. It was fun, but (we’re) kind of anxious to get back on the road.“

Read more here. 

2 hours ago, Elmira Telegram said:

Aerosmith will be touring a city near you for the last time

The last time for real, or one of those "last time" tours that they'll be back to do again in five years. Ya know, like KISS, Motley Crue, etc.?

Carrie Fisher got her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today for May the 4th!

IMG_1407.jpeg

• Like 1