TTL News

Twin Tiers Covid News

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

I figured it was best to have some better documentation, but also to make sure the home test result was accurate. 

I was definitely sick for a few days however the more I look at covid vs cold/flu symptoms from various websites including the CDC I have to wonder if I actually had it.  None of my symptoms were typical Covid and other than picking up strong saltiness in food, no loss of taste or smell, no fevers at all.  Worst symptom was the non stop runny nose which is a highly unlikely covid symptom.

What would really be helpful is being able to call back the "Covid Hotline" ( state level, not county ) and actually be able to get through to someone. 

I called the number they left on our answering machine twice. Both times I sat through 2 1/2 minutes marketing BS for everything from prescription savings to roadside assistance. Then it disconnected. 

How many times do you think people are going to jump through that hoop before they say "to hell with it" and go out shopping or visiting someone?

Chemung County has added a list of the deceased and municipality, as well as age and vaccination status for December:

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.48.33 AM.png

53 minutes ago, Chris said:

Dec. 30 2021:

Dec. 30.png

Jan 3 2022:

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 12.17.35 PM.png

Looks like a lot of people got together for Christmas!  

Yea now if only the other things were accurate, like how does the total percentage of vaxxed residents go down in a week?  It was 54.36% last week and today it's 52.24%.  The total # of first doses hasn't changed in 2 weeks.

40 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Looks like a lot of people got together for Christmas!  

Who knows?    My friends wife is sick again for the 2nd time since last April I think. She's vaxxed and boosted and she is symptomatic although not as ill as she was the first go around.  She goes nowhere at all.  She was at her hairdresser and through the supermarket that's it. She wears the mask all the time and no one at her hairdresser place or other customers have reported having it.

It's all starting to feel a bit weird to me.

32 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Who knows?    My friends wife is sick again for the 2nd time since last April I think. She's vaxxed and boosted and she is symptomatic although not as ill as she was the first go around.  She goes nowhere at all.  She was at her hairdresser and through the supermarket that's it. She wears the mask all the time and no one at her hairdresser place or other customers have reported having it.

It's all starting to feel a bit weird to me.

It's hard to say. When someone has a cold, or the flu, they generally know it. But with this thing, people could be spreading it and not show any signs or symptoms ever. It makes it really hard to pin down where you could have got it from. I wracked my brain trying to figure it out for me,( more out of curiosity than anything ) but there's so many variables and so many people I was around in that window. I have no idea. 

Two of my sisters have Covid and one works at Arnot.  Occ-Med called her today, asked if she still has symptoms.  She said yes: still congested, no sense of taste or smell.  With no additional testing she was told she can report to work tomorrow.  She has to wear a mask and goggles, eat alone, but can report to work.  She was advised to stay out of public places like grocery stores, etc.

Makes no sense to me.

My employer sent out an email saying that if we were positive, but asymptomatic, we could return to work after five days. But we were to come to work only, and go back home and isolate. No stops in between. 

Didn't make a difference to me, I'm still coughing my head off. I seemed to be doing pretty good but then yesterday stuffed up and hacking again. 

I just saw that Spencer-Van Etten will be all virtual tomorrow:

S-VE students will transition to a virtual learning day for tomorrow, Friday, January 7th, due to staffing shortages across the district. At this time, we have been notified of 13 staff positives and 7 staff pending results due to COVID. We are already at a substitute shortage with 11 positions lacking sub coverage with potentially more occurring as we learn results.

Your student has been instructed to bring their devices home tonight. Specific details will come from your child’s building and/or teachers.
We will look at the data from the weekend on Sunday afternoon and make a determination for our learning plan on Monday, January 10th. We will send a communication on Sunday by early afternoon regarding the plan for Monday.

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

My employer sent out an email saying that if we were positive, but asymptomatic, we could return to work after five days. But we were to come to work only, and go back home and isolate. No stops in between. 

Didn't make a difference to me, I'm still coughing my head off. I seemed to be doing pretty good but then yesterday stuffed up and hacking again. 

I just saw that Spencer-Van Etten will be all virtual tomorrow:

And why do they get to tell you whether you can make stops or not on the way to or from work?  Your 10 day must be up by Sat isn't it?  

4 minutes ago, KarenK said:

And why do they get to tell you whether you can make stops or not on the way to or from work? 

Thats the state DOH I imagine. But honestly, "you're okay to come to work, but that's it" strikes me the wrong way. 

5 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Your 10 day must be up by Sat isn't it?  

Tomorrow is my last day. Although I'm still hacking, but you know me, that could go on for weeks. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Thats the state DOH I imagine. But honestly, "you're okay to come to work, but that's it" strikes me the wrong way. 

Tomorrow is my last day. Although I'm still hacking, but you know me, that could go on for weeks. 

Sure can, ask Dave. It's been almost 2 months and he's still hacking

1 minute ago, KarenK said:

Sure can, ask Dave. It's been almost 2 months and he's still hacking

Well I meant aside from Covid. Respiratory things have really knocked me for a loop the last few years. But yeah, I hear ya

The Chemung County Office of Emergency Management has received approximately 3700 Health test kits to be distributed throughout the community.

Each municipality within Chemung County received a number of test kits based on their respective percentage of the population within their jurisdiction. The test kits will be available as of Friday, January 7th  and can be obtained from your City, Town, or Village Hall during normal business hours.

You must reside within the municipality from which you are requesting a kit. Further kits will be disseminated as they are received from New York State or federal authorities.

For assistance to properly utilize a COVID-19 iHealth Test Kit, please visit www.chemungcountyny.gov/covid for an instructional video. Contact information for each municipality can be found below:

Towns:

Ashland (607) 732-0723

Baldwin (607) 398-7208

Big Flats (607) 562-08443

Catlin (607) 739-5598

Chemung (607) 529-3532

Elmira (607) 734-2031

Erin (607) 739-8681

Horseheads (607) 739-8783

Southport (607) 734-1548

VanEtten (607) 589-4435

Veteran (607)-739-1476

Villages:

Elmira Heights (607) 734-7156

Horseheads (607) 739-5691

Millport (607) 739-0703

Wellsburg (607) 271-9129

City:

Elmira (607) 737-5644

3 hours ago, KarenK said:

I'm thinking Erin will get about 10.  lol

I think that is pretty generous. Lol

I called the phone number for Town of Baldwin this morning and it’s all voice mail.  Wanted to know where we pick up the tests.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ann said:

I called the phone number for Town of Baldwin this morning and it’s all voice mail.  Wanted to know where we pick up the tests.

I believe you'd pick them up there, I'm sure she'll get back to ya.

58 minutes ago, Ann said:

Same with our Town Hall. I didn't bother to leave a voicemail. 

They only have office hours 6 hours a week. And not again until Monday. I'm sure there's only a few available and will be handed out to staff, family and friends by then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I believe you'd pick them up there, I'm sure she'll get back to ya.

I hope so.  Wasn’t sure if the Fire Dept. would hand out like the KN95 masks.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I hope so.  Wasn’t sure if the Fire Dept. would hand out like the KN95 masks.

Have your middle son go down to the school today and pick up a couple if he hasn't already. He's got two in the schools, so he'd get two kits, a total of four tests. 

Spencer-Van Etten went remote Friday and today, with plans to re-assess for the rest of the week. If I recall correctly it was because they didn't have enough staff due to Covid. 

I saw this morning that Notre Dame is all virtual through Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Spencer-Van Etten went remote Friday and today, with plans to re-assess for the rest of the week. If I recall correctly it was because they didn't have enough staff due to Covid. 

I saw this morning that Notre Dame is all virtual through Wednesday. 

Yep, according to my neighbors with kids at SVE it is due to staffing.  Too many teachers positive and not enough subs.  I also noticed they are posting desperate need for substitute teachers.