TTL News

Twin Tiers Covid News

What's everyone's take on the presser today from Chemung County? 

• No plans for county wide mask mandates outside of county owned properties
  • Public attendance at legislature meetings are at the discretion of the Legislative Chair, not the County Executive
  • Holiday surge is to be expected 
  • A lot of graphs

It was refreshing to hear Buzzetti to acknowledge that limited testing toward the beginning of the pandemic resulted in undercounting, so actual current cases aren’t as alarming when we consider how many direct contacts went untested early on.

And Moss made a relevant point about vax mandates reducing staffing...resulting in fewer beds being available. I'd like to have seen numbers to support that statement.

Other than that....with each Covid update videos they host, the less of a fan I’m becoming of the County Exec and Health Director.

I think it’s an unprofessional approach to present graphs (that are difficult to read), while declining to share that data with the public on official county government platforms. Today Moss indicated that they can only fit so much information on the daily “dashboard”, so that’s all the public is entitled to. I find it hard to believe that we can't afford the cloud storage to allow a few more images on the County website.

A daily snapshot that deletes previous data is not a useful tool for the public. Clearly, they do believe that historical trends and timeline data is valuable....since they themselves feel that format is beneficial to illustrate their points. That information should be easily accessible and “no room on the dashboard” is a lame excuse to conceal data.

Edited by MsKreed

I would happily have set up something on here, like a sub forum for each month or something and then screen shots of daily reports. I wish I'd thought of it sooner. 

But I agree, those graphs are all well and good, but should be something more accessible. Although the other side of the coin ( for me at least ) is the amount of self-appointed experts out there that would try and manipulate that data to suit their own viewpoint. 

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

I would happily have set up something on here, like a sub forum for each month or something and then screen shots of daily reports. I wish I'd thought of it sooner. 

Early on, I was taking the daily screenshots from the FB page that CCHD posted and entering it into a simple spreadsheet. I stopped they'd jumped from daily to every other day because it was getting tedious to look up and I was busy with more important things....then when they rolled out the dashboard, I assumed it would have a graph. 

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

Although the other side of the coin ( for me at least ) is the amount of self-appointed experts out there that would try and manipulate that data to suit their own viewpoint. 

I get that....but on the whole, I believe it's easier to correct those people when you have the data yourself to cite. AAAND....having the history could reduce their ability to cherry pick if the whole dataset is out there.  

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

What's everyone's take on the presser today from Chemung County? 

• No plans for county wide mask mandates outside of county owned properties
  • Public attendance at legislature meetings are at the discretion of the Legislative Chair, not the County Executive
  • Holiday surge is to be expected 
  • A lot of graphs

I watched it.  No real surprises.  I still think whoever does that rolling average has some mathematical challenges but since we don't even get as much data as we used to it's hard to tell.

Today's dashboard was a 4 day number which averaging out had daily totals lower than they have been for awhile so 🤷‍♂️.

26 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I still think whoever does that rolling average has some mathematical challenges

That frustrates me...... they shouldn't need a "who" to do any calculations.

All they should need to do is enter a few basic daily numbers and they should have a formula plugged in that will "math" for them.

37 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

…but on the whole, I believe it's easier to correct those people when you have the data yourself to cite. AAAND....having the history could reduce their ability to cherry pick if the whole dataset is out there.

Good point!

Wegmans and Tops have both announced mask mandates in their stores, regardless of vaccination status. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Wegmans and Tops have both announced mask mandates in their stores, regardless of vaccination status. 

Well, it's a NYS mandate now so.............

16 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Mandates are not Laws...I will not comply! (along with sunning my Taint, taking Vitamin D, drinking plenty of water)🙄

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, KarenK said:

They could have gone the other way and required proof of vaccination. A blanket mask requirement is a hell of a lot easier.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

They could have gone the other way and required proof of vaccination. A blanket mask requirement is a hell of a lot easier.

Agree. However they know that would have had legal challenges.  You can't tell someone they have to be vaccinated so they can buy groceries. 

I've never had a big issue with the mask.  It's a challenged for long periods of time but running into the store to pick up a few things it's really no big deal to me.

• Like 2

I saw that somewhere else earlier today too.  I saw 4 of those straight up say, we will not enforce this. The rest are pretty much saying they don't have the resources to enforce it and not outright being non-compliant.  

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Seen on Twitter this evening:

2A8D3677-FB8D-4448-8051-E60516742ACA.jpeg

Quite frankly, i see many things over past year that are showing him to be the politician i hoped he would not be. Vax issue aside, masks are a proven, safe and simple way to decrease the spread, when those that are supposed to be leaders make statements/posts like above it gives the Joe Brennans of this world more fuel for their 1776 wet-dreams

• Like 1

I don't think a one word Twitter reply does a very good job of relaying a thoughtful message. 

I think the (more complete) explanation that he and Buzzetti offered previously to the news media is reasonable: They are asking businesses to comply, but do not have the staff and resources needed to enforce the mandates.  

How could they?  The Health Department needs to concentrate on contact tracing with 400-500 active cases.  And law enforcement did have the time to stop in to every business they get a call about.....they can only issue a citation when they see a violation taking place. Like a lot of traffic signals, people who blow through it when no one is around follow the rules when LEO is watching. 

39 minutes ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 11.58.39 AM.png

A simple, common sense request.

As a rule I don't answer unknown numbers but I can say the contact tracing call I got came from a 518 area code which I knew was Albany/Upstate so I did answer it.  I also knew I had been exposed so was expecting it.

It would also be nice if humans or test positive did the right thing and told people they know they had been in contact with.  I did and Dave did but I know many who didn't.

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

It would also be nice if humans or test positive did the right thing and told people they know they had been in contact with.  I did and Dave did but I know many who didn't.

And that’s really the crux of the issue, isn’t it? Just do the right thing. Think of others.

But unfortunately it’s been too politicized and in fairness, too full of mixed signals. Everyone is dug in, and all we can do is ride it out.

I know you can download the app that tracks cases and who has been nearby. My wife has it, I don't like having extra apps on my phone so I do not.  And on the rare occasion I go anywhere she is usually with me. 

As far as I know I am the only person I know that has not even had a Covid test let alone a scare. 

13 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I don't think a one word Twitter reply does a very good job of relaying a thoughtful message. 

I think the (more complete) explanation that he and Buzzetti offered previously to the news media is reasonable: They are asking businesses to comply, but do not have the staff and resources needed to enforce the mandates.  

How could they?  The Health Department needs to concentrate on contact tracing with 400-500 active cases.  And law enforcement did have the time to stop in to every business they get a call about.....they can only issue a citation when they see a violation taking place. Like a lot of traffic signals, people who blow through it when no one is around follow the rules when LEO is watching. 

thats just the thing, that one word reply offers enough intimation to keep the hardcore Republicans(masks=tyranny) potentially in his camp without actually coming out and sounding like Brennan while at same time allowing the out of "well i was just reminding them Chemung County was left out"

These politicians, much like business owners, need to have enough nuts to say The Mandate makes sense, its unobtrusive and better than a vax mandate...wear the frigging mask or you wont be allowed on the particular premises

These hesge-my-bets actions/answers at all levels of governance does nothing but send mixed messages, makes even intelligent people unsure of what is right and feeds the loonies with hard-ons for dumping boxes of masks in their own regional Boston Harbor

Arnot's drive through testing at the old St. Joes Emergency room entrance is pretty efficient, at least it was today. The hardest part was waiting on the phone for about 40 minutes to get through to someone and schedule a time. Other than that, I'd suggest better signage on Church St. to advise you have to come in from the Washington St. driveway, not the one off of Church. 

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

Arnot's drive through testing at the old St. Joes Emergency room entrance is pretty efficient, at least it was today. The hardest part was waiting on the phone for about 40 minutes to get through to someone and schedule a time. Other than that, I'd suggest better signage on Church St. to advise you have to come in from the Washington St. driveway, not the one off of Church. 

Dave was in and out both time he went through there.  

Should I ever feel sick again and take the home test and get a positive result I'm going to go get the PCR too.  Not 100% positive I'm comfortable with that home tests positive results.  

29 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Should I ever feel sick again and take the home test and get a positive result I'm going to go get the PCR too.  Not 100% positive I'm comfortable with that home tests positive results.  

I figured it was best to have some better documentation, but also to make sure the home test result was accurate.