Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

City Of Elmira To Vote On Use Of American Rescue Plan Funds

According to a press release sent out this afternoon, the City of Elmira has been awarded $28 million dollars ($28,270,386.00) from the Federal Government under the American Rescue Plan.

The first half of the funds, in the amount of $14,135,193 has been received. An internal committee consisting of Mayor Dan Mandell, Deputy Mayor Joseph Duffy, Councilmember Brent Stermer, Community Development Director Emma Miran, City Chamberlain Charman Cattan and the City Manager, P. Michael Collins, has prepared recommendations to the City Council for the distribution of the $14 million dollars.

The following recommendations will be presented to City Council for approval:

• Approximately 35% for Investments in Water, Sewer and Broadband Infrastructure
  •  Approximately 23% will be designated for Assistance to Households, Small Business and Nonprofits
  • Approximately 17% will be designated for Lost Revenue 2020 Actual versus 2019 Actual
  • Approximately 17% will be designated for Tourism
  • Approximately 8% will be designated for Premium Pay for Employees

A special Council Meeting is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, August 3, 2021, at 5:30 PM at City Hall, 3rd Floor Law Library, at which the utilization of these funds will be presented for Council vote.

Looks to me as this American Rescue Plan is a misnomer ! 8% designated for Premium Pay for Employees… what the hell is that ? Pardon me for being a skeptic but damn … 

5 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Approximately 23% will be designated for Assistance to Households, Small Business and Nonprofits

Ummm Non-profits are already making up a large drain on the City already, why the hell are they in on ANY consideration??

5 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Approximately 8% will be designated for Premium Pay for Employees

1. WOnder if that includes the mysterious Mayor...guy only seems to come out when theres money to be had

2. Premium pay is a frikkin joke; your premium is that while many others lost their jobs, yours were safe and your bills kept being paid

• Like 1

"35% for Investments in Water, Sewer and Broadband Infrastructure"

It seems when anything is asked of the water board we hear they are a separate entity and are independent of the city. Must be things have changed when money is to be given out. 

Ya gotta love it:

City council members each received a check of $2,500 last week, from the $1.1 million set aside for premium pay employees, alongside police officers, the fire department, sanitation workers, code enforcement, etc.

SOURCE

“Councilmembers were out in their districts… they were put in harm’s way so to speak,” said Mayor Mandell. 

The ridiculousness of this statement in an an attempt to justify. I can't even... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Ya gotta love it:

SOURCE

The ridiculousness of this statement in an an attempt to justify. I can't even... 

That has always been the problem with Elmira, the “me first” attitude of those in power.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 8:24 AM, Chris said:

City council members each received a check of $2,500 last week, from the $1.1 million set aside for premium pay employees, alongside police officers, the fire department, sanitation workers, code enforcement, etc.

Nick Grasso of city council donated his $2500, because he said they didn't deserve it because they were sitting at home meeting on tablets provided to them.  I don't remember where he donated it to. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Nick Grasso of city council donated his $2500, because he said they didn't deserve it because they were sitting at home meeting on tablets provided to them.  I don't remember where he donated it to. 

We need more Libertarians in elected office. 

• Like 2

❤️ this post.....

image.png.4e02c9aa7042b759c64b2441b0df1866.png

This is even better than donating it all to a local charity.

I think giving directly to family embodies the Libertarian principle of voluntaryism, and underscores the idea that people can often do a better job of helping each other independently  than government.

• Like 3

Yes I saw that a little while ago and absolutely love it. 

• Like 1