Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

"Masters Of The Universe: Revelations" Is Released

"After a cataclysmic battle between He-Man and Skeletor, Eternia is fractured and the Guardians of Grayskull are scattered. And after decades of secrets tore them apart, it's up to Teela to reunite the broken band of heroes, and solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to restore Eternia and prevent the end of the universe."

Masters of the Universe: Revelation will begin streaming on Netflix exclusively on July 23.

• Like 2

"Nerdgasm" is the term I believe my brother used to describe this. Kevin Smith will definitely do the franchise justice. And with heavy hitters like Mark Hamill doing voice work, how can you lose?

There is no way they are going to kill off He-man. 

Well, it is called Masters of the Universe and not He Man and the Masters of the Universe like it was in the 80s. 

I just watched the first episode.

For the first half, it felt like over the top fan service. But knowing Kevin Smith, I knew it’d get better, and it did. 

Definitely set up for a good season. The voice actors are pretty good, though I feel like Sarah Michelle Gellars voice is too girly for Teela. But listen to the others voices first then look them up. Smith got a LOT of heavy hitters to do voice work.

Overall, I like it and look forward to watching more.

Just finished the first episode! 2 thumbs way up!

I agree some of the voices threw me off, but I will definitely keep watching it. 

I thought Episode 2 was kinda lame in parts, but I’ll give it a chance and keep watching.

Binged the first 5, started pretty slow, by #5 it did get better

15 minutes ago, Adam said:

Binged the first 5, started pretty slow, by #5 it did get better

god i hop so. Episode 2 was rough and that's where I stopped

3 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Episode 2 was rough and that's where I stopped

Yeah I was watching that one thinking, "Maybe Kevin ( Smith ) shouldn't toke and write at the same time."

Edited by Chris
Making sure we keep our Kevins straight! LOL

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah I was watching that one thinking, "Maybe Kevin shouldn't toke and write at the same time."

I had to go to work and didn't get to episode 2. Guess I should've waited to post my review. I was just happy it wasn't a 30 minute infomercial for a new toy. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I was just happy it wasn't a 30 minute infomercial for a new toy. 

Yeah overall it's better than the Filmation cartoon in that respect. 

• Like 1

Man, Kevin Smith is really getting dragged through the mud in this one. And as much as I like the guy and his work, I’m thinking a lot of it is deserved.

He point blank said “your childhood is safe” and promised to do the franchise justice. And really, even though I haven’t finished it yet, I don’t feel like he did. To make matters worse, he’s saying the crappy reviews are an effort to attack him rather than, I don’t know, legit complaints that I can understand.

I’ll watch the rest, ( I’m 2/5 so far ) but I have to agree with a lot of people that he dropped the ball.

I think what some of the issue is most people don't remember how bad He-man and GI Joe actually were. They were just ling commercials to sell new toys. So many people want to think they were so good.  Me, I am one of those people.  

I will watch the other 4 episodes tomorrow and see how it pans out. 

His comments remind me of the female Ghostbuster movie. People hated it because they were misogynist and not that the movie sucked.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kevin said:

People hated it because they were misogynist and not that the movie sucked.

Exactly! And truth was, it was a complete pile of crap.

I don’t want to post spoilers just yet, but he said he’d take good care of the franchise and then pretty much gutted it.

Part of me wants to think the second five episodes will redeem things, but I’m not optimistic.

Here's my final analysis of the "first season" (SPOILER ALERT 😞

• I didn't hate it. I think Episode 2 is the weak link in the story and almost had me tapping out for the absolute stupidity involved ( more on that in a sec ). Episode 3 pulled me back in and by the end of 4 I wanted to see what happened next. Even Abby said 3 redeemed things for her. 
  • The "techno worship" cult set up by Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops was plain stupid. It actually could have been left in as a plot device, just written better. This is one of those things that makes me believe Kevin Smith was writing while high as a kite. 
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar was mis-cast as Teela. She sounds like a 13 year old girl, not a badass warrior. And a whiny one at that.
  • Although if you read about the plot before it was released, the show's trailer was misleading and I think that's where a lot of the hate comes from. Smith said, "Your childhood is safe" and then took some radical leaps in the story beginning with the end of Episode 1. In fairness, some things I read in the months leading up did lay out the storyline that there is trouble in the ranks and it's Teela that brings things back together. 
  • I don't hate Orko quite as much now.
  • Evil-Lynn has hair? Who knew?
  • I both love and hate that no one has "plot armor". As a fan, it's maddening but for a writer it's bold.
  • I don't think Smith deserves the vitriol he's getting as much as I did before I watched Episode 3. The second episode really is that bad in my book, but he redeemed himself.

I hope Episode 5 is a glimpse of things to come and a redemption for both our characters and Jay's hetero life mate ( if you're a fan of Smith, you get it. )

Well while I didn't hate it, it definitely did not leave me pumped for a season 2.  The whole techno worship thing was stupid and if he was high he was smoking some crappy bud.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Well while I didn't hate it, it definitely did not leave me pumped for a season 2.  

I think that there is a lot of what makes up the "disappointment" so many are feeling. Like, we were expecting "epic" and got tepid at best. Still, I'm curious to see what they do in the next season just enough to watch it.