TTL News

New York OK's Human Composting Law, Sixth State In The US To Do So

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Howard Fischer, a 63-year old investor living north of New York City, has a wish for when he dies. He wants his remains to be placed in a vessel, broken down by tiny microbes and composted into rich, fertile soil.

Maybe his composted remains could be planted outside the family home in Vermont, or maybe they could be returned to the earth elsewhere. “Whatever my family chooses to do with the compost after it’s done is up to them,” Fischer said.

“I am committed to having my body composted and my family knows that,” he added. “But I would love for it to happen in New York where I live rather than shipping myself across the country.”

Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul signed legislation on Saturday to legalize natural organic reduction, popularly known as human composting, making New York the sixth state in the nation to allow that method of burial.

Read more here.

• Confused 1

Nope … still requires a box in the ground , screw that I’m claustrophobic! 

On 12/31/2022 at 9:09 PM, Adam said:

pine box in backyard sans embalming might be cheaper

True, but what about meds and/or chemo treatments.  Would that be a potential environmental problem?

6 hours ago, Ann said:

True, but what about meds and/or chemo treatments.  Would that be a potential environmental problem?

cant imagine one or a few bosies worth of that is any worse or same as crap people putting into air/ground now

The process goes like this: the body of the deceased is placed into a reusable vessel along with plant material such as wood chips, alfalfa and straw. The organic mix creates the perfect habitat for naturally occurring microbes to do their work, quickly and efficiently breaking down the body in about a month’s time.

The end result is a heaping cubic yard of nutrient-dense soil amendment, the equivalent of about 36 bags of soil, that can be used to plant trees or enrich conservation land, forests, or gardens.

This raises a couple questions for me...

My thought is that only the um "meat" is broken down in that month, right? So someone has to empty this "reusable vessel" to collect the "nutrient rich" product....then do what exactly with the bones?  Have a burial for the skeleton later....or does the family keep them as Halloween decorations? 

I think I'd prefer the "green burials" that were already legally offered up the road in Newfield at the GREENSPRINGS NATURAL CEMETERY PRESERVE where they don't allow embalming or vaults/liners and use biodegradable "vessels" like:

ACCEPTABLE CASKETS

Plain, untreated, unvarnished wooden caskets, not made of rain forest hardwoods or other nonnative woods -- Jewish burial pine caskets are perfect

Cardboard, papier-mache, wicker

Homemade caskets should be no larger than 84"l, 28"w, 23"h.

ACCEPTABLE SHROUDS

You may use a favorite blanket or quilt, though we ask that you use natural fibers (cotton, wool, silk, hemp). If there is enough time to plan ahead, you can also sew a shroud or body bag, or find a weaver or tailor who will make one for you.

The body must be securely wrapped from head to feet.

http://www.naturalburial.org/caskets-shrouds-stones

9 hours ago, Ann said:

The human composting process breaks down bones and teeth through a combination of microbial and mechanical means. Microbes do the primary work of human composting. By controlling the ratio of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and moisture, human composting creates the perfect environment for microbes and beneficial bacteria to thrive. These microbes are assisted by mechanical steps to help complete the transformation into soil. Recompose staff rotate each Recompose vessel at several points during the process to ensure thorough aeration and decomposition, which helps to break up any remaining bone fragments and teeth. Recompose staff also screen for non-organics such as implants, which are recycled whenever possible. At the end of the composting process, fragments remaining that are larger than one centimeter are processed using the same equipment that is used to process bone in conventional cremation. Soil is tested for safety and screened before it is returned to families or the environment. The final soil may include small bone fragments, which are safe and will continue to break down and return to the environment over time.

https://recompose.life/our-model/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

The human composting process breaks down bones and teeth through a combination of microbial and mechanical means. Microbes do the primary work of human composting.

Wow! I'm blown away. It's fascinating that the whole breakdown is about a month. 

Seeing millenia old archaeological finds, I assumed that "mineral based" human parts wouldn't be part of the process. 

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

Have a burial for the skeleton later....or does the family keep them as Halloween decorations? 

😂! Valid question !

Reading the link at @Kevin ....the process seems to be all readily available stuff. 

Recompose places each body into a stainless steel vessel along with wood chips, alfalfa, and straw. Microbes that naturally occur on the plant material and on and in our bodies power the transformation into soil.

Over the next 30 days, everything inside the vessel breaks down thanks to natural decomposition. The soil is then removed from the vessel, screened for non-organic items such as hip implants, tested for safety, and allowed to dry and cure for an additional two to four weeks.

Which now makes me wonder if we'll need to worry about mob bosses using this information Jimmy Hoffa their enemies.

• Like 1