Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Report Shows Chemung County Ranked Lowest Life Expectancy In State

Using 2022 County Health Rankings & Roadmaps from the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, Stacker identified counties with the shortest life expectancy in New York. Life expectancy measures the average number of years from birth a person can expect to live, and is calculated based on the number of deaths in a given time period and the average number of people at risk of dying during that period. Counties with unreliable or insufficient data were excluded from the analysis. Mortality data came from the National Vital Statistics System.

According to the data, three local counties are among the top ten in lowest life expectancy, while three counties rank around the middle to higher range in life expectancy.

See the rankings and rest of the article HERE

This is no shocker really. For Christs sake, have you looked around lately? 

This isn’t surprising with the drug availability and local hospitals dropping  the ball with their minimal care available , and low quality staffing . If you even dare to go to the hospital in Chemung county it shouldn’t be for more than a few stitches at this point . 

Edited by DrJen
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJen said:

This isn’t surprising with the drug availability and local hospitals dropping  the ball with their minimal care available , and low quality staffing . If you even dare to go to the hospital in Chemung county it shouldn’t be for more than a few stitches at this point . 

This is so sad because I remember when we had two great hospitals in Elmira staffed by excellent medical care providers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJen said:

one in particular allowed a piss-poor CEO to run the place into the ground. despite months/years of warning, has ignored any rational advice, efforts from literal world renowned surgeon to rebuild a program and essentially bumbled into nothing more than a glorified triage station....but hey, he got a new loaded Jeep during the pandemic and knocks down bit over 600k for his troubles; i can say for sure, one local "hospital" Board of Directors should be ashamed of themselves

• Like 2

Based on things I’ve heard from far too many individuals and their experiences,  (referring to management or others in charge in particular), the mission statement has changed from  “do no harm” to “cya”.   I feel sorry for the caring staff who continue to try and do their best for their patients.  Unfortunately, attitudes of the upper echelons often trickles down and leads to discouragement for those involved in day to day to day care of patients.  The result:  you lose good people.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this more today and ya know, we can’t put the blame solely on the health care system. Perhaps it was the obese person waddling down the sidewalk carrying a couple 2 liters of soda. Maybe it’s years of seeing people, some of them so morbidly obese they can’t even walk, that choose to continue to eat, drink and smoke themselves into an early grave. But something tells me there’s a vast swath of ignorance when it comes to healthy life choices.

And look, I know I’m no Slim Goodbody but I try to get my daily steps in and make relatively healthy eating choices 5-6 out of 7 days a week. 

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

I was thinking about this more today and ya know, we can’t put the blame solely on the health care system. Perhaps it was the obese person waddling down the sidewalk carrying a couple 2 liters of soda. Maybe it’s years of seeing people, some of them so morbidly obese they can’t even walk, that choose to continue to eat, drink and smoke themselves into an early grave. But something tells me there’s a vast swath of ignorance when it comes to healthy life choices.

And look, I know I’m no Slim Goodbody but I try to get my daily steps in and make relatively healthy eating choices 5-6 out of 7 days a week. 

Don’t forget genetics, that is also a factor.

20 minutes ago, Ann said:

lack there-of is more like it. but to Chris's point; a large portion of the health issues can be attributed to 

1. ignorance. its stupifying the number of people that just take pills they were told to and really have no interest in the wherefores of the medicine they take.

2. laziness. why watch what i eat, read the serving sizes or dietary information when i  can go to my Doctor and get a pill for cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure, hell theyre now writing scripts for two diabetes medicines because theyve been found to cause weight loss, incidentally making it more difficult for diabetics who NEED those meds, to get them.

3. economics. look at the difference in price between fresh fruits, veggies and items to prepare at home versus the pre-packaged, highly processed and VERY unhealthy foods, its no surprise folks are in the conditions they are since no one can afford to eat healthy anymore

• Like 1

There’s genetics and then there’s bad life choices. No one is genetically predisposed to require nicotine and/or high fructose syrup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris said:

There’s genetics and then there’s bad life choices. No one is genetically predisposed to require nicotine and/or high fructose syrup.

Agreed, generational bad examples can be huge hurdles to overcome, but they're not genetic. 

I also think the commonly cited "bad food choices are so much cheaper than healthy food" is just as mythical as the "women only earn 70 cents to every dollar a man is paid, gender wage gap".

They're both rousing "statistics" that sound like proof that there are victims, but are based on faulty math and incongruent comparisons. 

14 hours ago, Ann said:

I think what she is getting at is , and correct me if wrong , this . 
Part of the problem in this area is that a large number of families have stayed in the here for generations. These families have conditions, diseases , maladies call them what you will , that are genetic in nature . Some of these folks are from large families one in particular 13 brothers and sisters , kinda normal back in the day , or at least not uncommon. All carrying the genetic predisposition to the aforementioned conditions , lets add into those predispositions heart diseases , cancers just for example . So those family groups go on to pass on these medical conditions to the next however many generations of the same family group in the given area and I believe these would make up a large part of any such study . 
So not being biased 😏 😆 I’m thinking genetics does contribute , even if only in a small part here . 

On 1/12/2023 at 8:15 AM, MsKreed said:

I also think the commonly cited "bad food choices are so much cheaper than healthy food" is just as mythical

simplest one i could posit is: look in the store price of ramen versus buying/making the stock, or even the bullion cubes, and then buying the noodles

or a hungry man style frozen dinner versus buying the fresh components of same meal, the disparity in price IS real

I understand genetics plays a role in obesity overall. I'm not saying every overweight person got themselves there simply because they couldn't pull their face from the trough. I would never say that, especially given what my role was at my last job. But unless Chemung County is some kind of genetic, perhaps inbred anomaly, that only goes so far.

What I'm referring to is the choice to eat one's self into an astronomical BMI with a bag of Doritos and the third Big Gulp of the day. Then following it up with a cigarette. 

There's a socio-economic factor to all this as well. Although how some "can't afford" to buy vegetables but can afford a pack a day smoking habit, well...

As for economy of healthy eating, there are countless food give aways in the area that offer good, nutritional options in large quantities. My buddy volunteers for the Food Bank and says it's amazing what they hand out ( in a good way ). Between that and perhaps stop allowing people to buy high sugar drinks and other junk food with their EBT card, maybe we'd see an improvement. 

And we need to take a look at the garbage that's being served in the schools as well. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Adam said:

or a hungry man style frozen dinner versus buying the fresh components of same meal, the disparity in price IS real

It often comes down to a matter of "scale" and how much effort the shopper wants to put into their meal choices.  Buying any quantity besides "single portion" can require separating portions for the freezer or peeling and chopping produce.  And having a few staples on hand like bread crumbs or butter....to "prepare" instead of shoving it in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes. 

At our local Walmart, a Hungry Man chicken dinner weighing in at a one pound total food weight is $3.74 (that's less than half the cost of a similar meal at the KFC drive thru, so the EBT recipient buying Hungry Man is at least trying harder than those hitting up fast food now that it's allowed).

But still nearly twice the cost, pound for pound, as buying the components add out to be about $1.80/lb (assuming the chicken weight is roughly equal to the side dishes).

Boneless Chicken Breast: $2.97/lb

Potatoes: $.79/lb

Frozen Corn: $1.66/lb

55 minutes ago, Chris said:

Between that and perhaps stop allowing people to buy high sugar drinks and other junk food with their EBT card, maybe we'd see an improvement. 

Preach!

On 1/13/2023 at 12:00 PM, MsKreed said:

It often comes down to a matter of "scale" and how much effort the shopper wants to put into their meal choices.  Buying any quantity besides "single portion" can require separating portions for the freezer or peeling and chopping produce.  And having a few staples on hand like bread crumbs or butter....to "prepare" instead of shoving it in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes. 

At our local Walmart, a Hungry Man chicken dinner weighing in at a one pound total food weight is $3.74 (that's less than half the cost of a similar meal at the KFC drive thru, so the EBT recipient buying Hungry Man is at least trying harder than those hitting up fast food now that it's allowed).

But still nearly twice the cost, pound for pound, as buying the components add out to be about $1.80/lb (assuming the chicken weight is roughly equal to the side dishes).

Boneless Chicken Breast: $2.97/lb

Potatoes: $.79/lb

Frozen Corn: $1.66/lb

Preach!

Wait you can get  fast food now with welfare? Man I chose the wrong career patch.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Wait you can get  fast food now with welfare? Man I chose the wrong career patch.

Yes, the program Hochul signed a law for it in 2021 HERE is touted for recipients who are homeless, elderly or have a disability.... Assuming i's ONLY for recipients that meet those requirements, it would include the disabilities, addictions and disorders that qualify for federal SSI.

Mandates OTDA to Apply for USDA Approval so SNAP Recipients Can Purchase Prepared Foods

Once Approved by USDA, Would Help SNAP Recipients to Use Their Benefits for Prepared or Hot Food at Participating Restaurants and Delis

Launches $25 Million Restaurant Resiliency Program, Building on the Successful Nourish New York Initiative, to Provide a Boost to Struggling Restaurants While Feeding Families in Need

Edited by MsKreed

Being able to buy any of the absolute garbage excuse for "food" that's allowed is insane.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Being able to buy any of the absolute garbage excuse for "food" that's allowed is insane.

yeah, but standing line to vote for the Gubmint while hungry is for suckers anyway