TTL News

Cuomo Contrite, But Has No Intentions Of Resigning

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 1.45.19 PM.png

At the end of another state Covid briefing earlier today, Governor Andrew Cuomo offered an apology to the women who felt uncomfortable, saying it was never his intent. 

"I want New Yorkers to hear from me directly on this. First, I fully support a woman’s right to come forward. And I think it should be encouraged in every way. I understand that I acted in a a way that made people feel uncomfortable. It was unintentional, and I truly and deeply apologize for it. I feel awful for it, and frankly, I feel embarrassed by it.

I never touched anyone inappropriately…. I never touched anyone inappropriately. I never knew at the time that i was making anyone feel uncomfortable. And I certainly never, ever meant to offend anyone or hurt anyone, or cause any one any pain. That is the last thing I would ever want to do."

"I ask the people of this state to wait for the facts in the attorney general report before forming an opinion," Cuomo said. "I have learned form what has been an incredibly difficult situation… I’m sorry."

When questioned whether the investigation is a distraction from other issues at hand, including the state budget he feels he should step aside, Cuomo told a reporter,  “I'm going to cooperate with the AG investigation and do the budget.

Addressing the picture that’s been circulating, “I understand the opinion and feelings of Ms. Ruch. You can find hundreds of pictures of me making the same gesture with hundreds of people.”

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 1.44.36 PM.png

Cuomo went on to explain that such gestures, hugging and kissing people, are not only his way of greeting people, it was also his father’s, former Governor Mario Cuomo.

"What I also understand is, it doesn’t matter… if anybody was offended by it, then it was wrong. If they were hurt by it, I apologize. If they felt pain from it, I apologize. I did not intend it, I didn’t mean it that way. But if thats how they felt thats all that matters and I apologize."

When asked again about calls for his resignation, Cuomo emphasized he has no intention of resigning. “Im going to do the job the people of the state elected me to do.”

Not all that good a picture but she is clearly uncomfortable . The face tells all even a still photo shows body language ... 

Six...as well as attorney's suggesting a probe into the decision to circumvent the legal requirement of Governor's Office of Employee Relations (GOER) investigation when #2 first complained last year.

Jessica Westerman, an attorney for the law firm representing Bennett — along with her associate Debra Katz — on Monday told the Times Union that the Executive Chamber's decision last year to handle Bennett's complaint "in-house" and not refer the matter to the Governor's Office of Employee Relations (GOER) needs to be a focus of the ongoing probe.

In that case, Jill DeRosiers, fielded the complaint from 25-year-old Bennett, and Garvey, a top member of the governor's legal team, assigned the matter to Judith Mogul, a special counsel for the governor. There was apparently no formal investigation, and it was resolved when Bennett "received the transfer she requested to a position in which she had expressed a long-standing interest, and was thoroughly debriefed on the facts which did not include a claim of physical contact or inappropriate sexual conduct."

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Cuomo-faces-new-allegation-of-sexual-harassment-16011424.php

Sounds like they tried something out of the Catholic Church play book.

• Like 1

" and it was resolved when Bennett "received the transfer she requested to a position in which she had expressed a long-standing interest,"

Sounds like maybe she couldn't get transfer on her own, so she got it anyway she could.  

46 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Sounds like maybe she couldn't get transfer on her own, so she got it anyway she could.  

Quite possibly....she did spend a lot of her short career drafting the "how to" guidelines for filing sexual complaints. 

But even so, pretty incriminating for his legal team to go along with such a "voluntary reassignment" in lieu of following the reporting process that is mandated by law (that AC himself enacted)....unless they had strong reason to suspect that would result in proving misconduct on his part. 

• Like 2

Part of me cannot believe he hasn’t resigned, but really the rest of me isn’t surprised. Still, I thought he was on the ropes last week, now almost all his own party, including Schumer and Gillibrand have turned on him. And yet he’s defiant.

I had CNN on for a little while today and man, they were absolutely gutting him.

The number is now up to 8. I agree he should resign, but how does it look for NY when 2 of the last 3 Governor's have resigned in a sex related scandal.  

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The number is now up to 8. I agree he should resign, but how does it look for NY when 2 of the last 3 Governor's have resigned in a sex related scandal.  

Like the people voting for them need to have their heads examined before being allowed to vote again?

If he isn't removed by impeachment, it seems likely he'll have to have more than Sex and the City as competition for the Democratic ticket....in addition to whoever is running for other parties. 

11 hours ago, KarenK said:

Wouldn't that be 3 for 3?  Spitzer, Patterson and Cuomo.

Paterson didn't resign. He withdrew his name so NYAG. Cuomo could run. He never intended to be Gov. he was thrown in when Spitzer quit. While I don't think he was bad, he had some bad ideas.

15 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Paterson didn't resign. He withdrew his name so NYAG. Cuomo could run. He never intended to be Gov. he was thrown in when Spitzer quit. While I don't think he was bad, he had some bad ideas.

True, he did withdraw his name from the next election but that was after allegations of witness tampering, accepting improper gifts and lying under oath came up. Simply got out before it got worse is my belief.

5 hours ago, KarenK said:

True, he did withdraw his name from the next election but that was after allegations of witness tampering, accepting improper gifts and lying under oath came up. Simply got out before it got worse is my belief.

I didn't realize all that was happening.  

Yup Kevin - another one comes forward today. King Cuomo needs to take his rather large ego and his bullying attitude and hit the road Jack (and don't come back). He doesn't seems to have many friends these days- nearly everybody has thrown him under the bus, except for Bill and Hill, I guess.

• Like 2

It is mind boggling that no one has pulled any quotes, examples or citations from New York State sexual harassment laws....instead of constantly pointing out when there aren't allegations of "inappropriate touching" as if that's a legit defense.

Suggestive comments of the nature that he has freely admitted to making.... are absolutely, irrefutably, 100%, unquestionably, always and forever....illegal sexual harassment when they're from a superior. Zero tolerance. According to the verfy laws he signed to strengthen workplace protections for women.

Workplace condions that expect some to tolerate lecherous comments or gestures violate the law.

It's one thing for a server or bartender to fend off occasional advances from patrons or guests.....but bosses and coworkers is a zero tolerance matter. And saying "that's just the way he is" of a boss is not an excuse. In fact, it's literally a training example of unacceptable excuses. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

It's one thing for a server or bartender to fend off occasional advances from patrons or guests.....but bosses and coworkers is a zero tolerance matter. And saying "that's just the way he is" of a boss is not an excuse. In fact, it's literally a training example of unacceptable excuses. 

You're absolutely correct MsKreed. I sat through those state mandated sexual harassment courses at my workplace a number of times over the years. And why does none of that apply to him - I haven't a clue.