Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Chemung County Fairgrounds - Is There A Better Way To Utilize Them?

12 hours ago, Chris said:

IMG_6174.jpeg

I love this concept!!

I would go further and suggest the County consider a concept like this on a regular basis......perhaps as part of the Community Building that has been proposed with ARP funds. As encouraging as I am about the new leadership for the Fair Board, it's disappointing to see the endless value of the Fairgrounds limited to Ag Society's occupancy for one week a year.

• Like 2

Perhaps if the cost of using the grounds for other activities weren’t so prohibitive that would become a possibility once again .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This week’s Standing Committee Meetings HERE, committee proceedings were preceded by several presentations (From Public Health lead poisoning to Wastewater Treatment, to the services of Cornell Cooperative Extension)

Around the 1hr25min mark.....The Ag Society’s new President had the a presentation.

He began by highlighting plans for this year’s Fair (sounds very promising!). 

Then he discussed infrastructure projects they have done on the Fairgrounds recently. As well as appealing for County Funding ($100k) to facilitate infrastructure grants that the County can’t apply for itself (they can only be awarded to the Ag Society). And that rolled into a discussion about the value of utilizing the Fairgrounds year round. 

It sounds like there is interest from outside (regional) organizations (like Monster Truck rallies, etc). However, it doesn't seem that the County any staff (as the property owner) to promote coordinate.  

There wasn’t any specific mention of the Building that was proposed with ARP funds approved...but it sounded as if the Legislature could be hearing a more complete plans (hopefully in the near future).  While the gentleman from the Ag Society seems very motivated, sincere and capable.....it isn't quite clear to me who would be responsible for bringing events to the the Fairgrounds if the County eventually approves a multi-use facility. 

I understand the Ag Society has deep ties to the Fairgrounds, but they are really only a "tenant", that doesn't control the property.  But I doubt that would be any worse than having the Fairgrounds "operated" by the IDA/CCCR like First Arena. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

While the last thing we need is another person on the taxpayers dime, would it be beneficial to maybe hire someone to manage things like bringing events to the fairgrounds? Perhaps a part time position?

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

There wasn’t any specific mention of the Building that was proposed with ARP funds approved...but it sounded as if the Legislature could be hearing a more complete plans (hopefully in the near future).

I am very interested in hearing these plans.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:34 PM, MsKreed said:

There wasn’t any specific mention of the Building that was proposed with ARP funds approved...

I can say there has been no discussion of rebuilding the old secretary's building at any of the Ag. Society's meetings. We are booked with getting things ready for the fair. The front page of the fairs website has a bubble map that's shows where everything is going to be. It will take a few years to get it where we want it, but this year is a giant leap.

https://chemungcountyny.gov/1072/Chemung-County-Fair

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 7:29 PM, Ann said:

Admission fees will be reduced to $2.00.  I don’t remember what was said about those under 16.  Definitely a step in the right direction.  Too bad the space for vendors under the grandstand wasn’t rebuilt.

Sorry for the late reply. The space under the grandstands is still there. It was rebuilt when the grandstands were rebuilt. The food vendor spots behind the bleachers that burned down was not rebuilt. Code and health dept would not allow them for various reasons.

• Like 1

As you may or may not have heard Wheelock Rides closed their doors over the weekend. Why does that matter? That happens to be the same company that has been contracted to provide rides for the 182nd Chemung County Fair. 

We have already reached out to different companies including a well known one in the area. Once a new one has been found and a contract signed I will let you know. 

This will not stop the demolition derby, truck and tractor pulls from still going as planned. The contract for the concert has also been signed already so The Oak Ridge Boys farewell tour will also go on as planned. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

The contract for the concert has also been signed already so The Oak Ridge Boys farewell tour will also go on as planned. 

I think will be a successful day for the fair, drawing people in from further away. 

• Like 1

and as per usual, all those productive Citizens with great ideas themselves are trashing the Fairboard/county, as if those entities had something to do with the ride Co. going out of business.

will admit though, there are some stressing the need to bring back the agricultural element of past fairs, i would think this is the perfect opportunity

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam said:

there are some stressing the need to bring back the agricultural element of past fairs

Right, put the focus back on agriculture and events based around that. Demonstrations, more exhibits, etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam said:

and as per usual, all those productive Citizens with great ideas themselves are trashing the Fairboard/county, as if those entities had something to do with the ride Co. going out of business.

will admit though, there are some stressing the need to bring back the agricultural element of past fairs, i would think this is the perfect opportunity

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Right, put the focus back on agriculture and events based around that. Demonstrations, more exhibits, etc.

Agree but those types of events do not draw the welfare crowd which is why it is always scheduled for the first week of the month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was told that the fair committee could have signed the company that does the carnival at the mall,"Main Event", as early as November 2023 but decided they were happy with Wheelock and signed with them. Not that anyone could have seen this coming, but with Wheelock's showing at last year's fair, and the public response, it's hard to see how someone could say they were "happy" with it. 

• Like 1

IMG_6474.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s great news!

I did some looking and it’s the same company that  provides the rides for the Spencer Picnic. Their website says they have 16 rides, and it looks like a good variety of stuff for all ages. 

• Like 1

From Facebook:

The Chemung County Fair Board just received the best news from the new ride vendor. They are bringing every ride they have to the Chemung County Fair. Watch the fairs FB over the next couple weeks for lists and photos of the rides. This is a huge step to bringing the fair back to where it was 20 years ago.

Gate Admission this year is only $2 for adults 16 and under are free. Plus the Elmira Heights American legion will be hosting BINGO from 1-8 on 08/01. $1 a game.

07/31 is Military appreciation day. All vets and active duty with ID have free admission and discounts on everything else.

08/01 is Senior day. 55 and older are free and also have discounts.

08/2 First Responders day. Do I need to type it out?

08/03 Family day, Free Admission for everyone.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 10:16 AM, Zapp Brannigan said:

Agree but those types of events do not draw the welfare crowd which is why it is always scheduled for the first week of the month.

There it is, one of the dumbest comments I have read today! 

On 5/16/2024 at 5:52 AM, Chris said:

The board and 4-H have had tension the last few years. The new board seems to have gotten part that and we are working on bringing more AG events. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

Well in fairness to Zapp, I know a lot of people believe the timing has, historically speaking, been more than coincidence. Myself included.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well in fairness to Zapp, I know a lot of people believe the timing has, historically speaking, been more than coincidence. Myself included.

If it's moved back a week we conflict with Troy if we move it forward a week we conflict with Steuben county. Troy, Chemung and Steuben have always collaborated together, so we don't want to conflict with them. And let's be honest we would lose. 

While NASCAR at the Glen was moved to September this year, it has always been right after Steuben county.

So it's not that they target a certain demographic, it's that the Chemung County Fair has for as long I can remember been at the end of July. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 11:55 PM, Kevin said:

Awww shucks thanks!!!

Edited by TTL News
Be nice.
  • Like 1

Dear Friends,

You guys wanna know something? Can you all keep a secret? Lol

At this year's Chemung County Fair, all-day ride wristbands are just $25.

And admission is a whopping $2.00 for adults

Plus, if you fall into the theme day category:

• 07/31 Military Appreciation Day
  • 08/01 Senior Day
  • 08/02 First Responders Day

You get an additional $5 off the all-day wristbands and free admission. Vendors will also be offering discounts for those people. So for $20, you can ride all day!!

That is 1/3 cheaper than other carnivals happening in the area.

This year's fair also features free shows throughout the grounds. A magician and hypnotist will perform two to three shows a day. The artisan village will feature a chainsaw carver, blacksmith, sawmill demonstrations, and a guy who makes balloon animals.

Speaking of animals we are an agricultural fair, so it would not be complete without barns full of cows, pigs, goats, rabbits, chickens and other animals.

Don't forget we will have local bands playing around the grounds every day from 1-7. You can see the schedule at ChemungCountyFair.com

If you want to enter something to be judged, the 2024 fair book is now available for download from the fair's website.

In addition to all that awesomeness, we have fantastic grandstand shows scheduled.

• 07/31 7:00 PM Demolition Derby
  • 08/01 7:00 Oak Ridge Boys Final Tour
  • 08/02 12:00 PM Patriot Pulling series (think lawnmowers with big engines)
  • 08/02 7:00 Truck Pulls
  • 08/03 7:00 Tractor Pulls

Purchase grandstand tickets here.

• Like 1

The new committee has done one hell of a job putting a new fair together under adverse conditions. Hell, I may even go for the first time in years to have a look around!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 11:55 PM, Kevin said:

No … I see this as the truth . I grew up in ,and around , the Fair community , with very few exceptions the Fair was timed around the first of the month . Now was this to draw the “welfare “ crowd ? Without having taken an official “ who’s who” count all those years there is no way to prove this out. But dollars to donuts most would have the same thought as Zapp whether or not they speak it out aloud. I know most of us spending all day at the Fair all those years would! 

Now , I would have to agree that the New Committee is doing a Damn Good Job against all the odds they have faced!! 

• Like 1