Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

"Thor: Love And Thunder" Is Pure Bonkers Filmmaking

The last full Thor movie was the overstuffed 2017 “Thor: Ragnarok,” with the God of Thunder dealing with dueling brother and sister issues, the imminent destruction of his planet, a boozy sidekick, a huge dog, pal Hulk having a panic attack and the death of his father. 

It was Taika Waititi filmmaking at its most intense, with slo-mo sauntering, stupid antlered headdresses, slicing swords and laser cannons, capes and undead soldiers, a hair-cropped Thor, a typically unbalanced Jeff Goldblum character, a prophecy, alien spacecrafts and lots of Led Zeppelin.

If you thought that was bananas filmmaking, its sequel is the whole fruit basket. 

“Thor: Love and Thunder” — a rare Marvel fourth installment for one character — has giant bleating goats, a horrible Zeus, children in cages, space dolphins, Jodie Foster jokes, teddy bears with laser eyes, an Old Spice commercial parody, Natalie Portman headbutting a villain, blue aliens and lots of Guns N’ Roses.

Read more of the review here.

We watched this last night. And while it wasn't bad, it also wasn't great. Certainly not as good as Ragnorok, which is what I think they were going for. Unfortunately they took the elements that made Ragnorok great, and cranked it up to 11. This made it more of a slapstick comedy than anything, which brought the whole thing down I think. It was also a little too heavy handed with the same sex partners thing. Like, I knew Val's partner was a woman... cool. But now the rock people are all male and... whatever.

Like I said, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it great either. Also:

Spoiler

What the hell, Molnjir?!? The hammer "called to" Jane, only to end up making her more sick and die faster? Kind of a stupid plot line, and almost felt like the writers decided to change directions mid movie. 

The thing to remember is the whole movie is told from Korgs point of view. And he isn't the brightest bulb, so that explains some of the odder parts of the movie, like storm breaker being jealous.

35 minutes ago, Hal said:

In other words they cranked out a clunker ? 

I wouldn't say "clunker", just not as good. 

10 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The thing to remember is the whole movie is told from Korgs point of view. And he isn't the brightest bulb, so that explains some of the odder parts of the movie, like storm breaker being jealous.

That is a very interesting way of looking at it, and I hadn't even considered that. 

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

so that explains some of the odder parts of the movie, like storm breaker being jealous.

Without having seen Love and Thunder yet, this reminds me of this scene from Ragnarok

Watched this last night....and have to concur with Chris: "while it wasn't bad, it also wasn't great"

I'm not sure if I'd have decided to watch it yet if I'd read the spoiler. Jane's decline gave me a few queasy/teary moments that I, personally, wasn't prepared for. 

On 9/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, Kevin said:

That's a good observation.... and it was easy to forget that point on occasion. His "narration" could have been sprinkled a little more throughout the story to "remind" the audience.