MsKreed

Fatal Route 13 Crash Near Alpine Junction

Preliminary investigation shows the Chevy was trying to merge left as the right lane was ending. Authorities say that’s when the vehicle driven by Vaness made contact with the Chevy, sending it into the opposite lane where it was struck by a Freightliner truck.

The 25-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. He has not yet been named by authorities. Vaness was transported to a trauma center and is in stable condition. The driver of the Freightliner, 33-year-old Jeremy Sobles, of Skaneateles, was not hurt.

Source whcuradio.com/

Route 13 is a road I try to avoid.  

There were just two others killed there just last weekend (Source elmiratelegram.com.  

What do you think makes it so dangerous and what could be done (besides avoiding it)?  

Here's more information about yesterday's crash.

It's funny ( strange, not "ha-ha" ) that we have these stretches of road like Route 13 and Clemens Center Parkway that have existed for decades but now are considered "dangerous." It's not the roadways that are the problem. 

Like Clemens Parkway, Route 13 is a frickin drag strip anymore. If this happened where I think it did, then that's a common spot for people to race to get ahead of slower moving vehicles. 

On the flip side, you do have those slower as molasses Sunday drivers that can cause traffic to lag and build up, as does drivers' frustrations. Sometimes it's those slow drivers that cause the speeding as people try to get around them. Please note, I'm not saying the deceased was driving this way. 

If I am going to Syracuse and beyond, I try to avoid 13 anymore. Especially on a Friday. I go to Binghamton and up 81. Not only does this avoid the above named issues, it also keeps me out of Ithaca on a Friday. ( Speaking of frustration completely justified. )

I'm fairly certain we're gonna see some tickets issued on this one. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chris said:

Like Clemens Parkway, Route 13 is a frickin drag strip anymore. If this happened where I think it did, then that's a common spot for people to race to get ahead of slower moving vehicles. 

Agreed.

The drag racers on Rte 13 scare me more than deer (which are always a valid concern).

And those short “slow traffic” lanes only seem to incite more lead-footed behavior. It appears from the reports that the deceased driver was correctly using that lane and she zoomed up on him trying to beat him as the lane ended.

It seemed like the DOCCS official who was recently charged with road rage was known to the other driver as agressively speeding that route on a regular basis.

Being a truck route doesn’t help either (before I-99, speeding semis on the old 2-lane Rte 15 to Mansfield were terrifying).

From what i have seen , on both sides of the hill before the junction there are those slower traffic lanes that merge back to two lanes at the top ( please correct if wrong ) . So when the trucks move over into those lanes its a race by regular vehicles to get by them ( trucks ) before they have to merge back into regular lanes at the top . It can be a CharlieFoxtrot as sometimes there are those that pass the vehicles in the regular lane . In other words everyone is in a hurry to get past the trucks before they have to merge back into the regular lane and some that just have a need to be ahead of everybody else . 
This just from what I have observed and I don’t travel it as often as most of you all . 

5 hours ago, MsKreed said:

Source whcuradio.com/

Route 13 is a road I try to avoid.  

There were just two others killed there just last weekend (Source elmiratelegram.com.  

What do you think makes it so dangerous and what could be done (besides avoiding it)?  

That one was between the two Parrott Rds and yep cars do speed to try and pass.  The one accident where the 2 drivers died was by the Sebring Rd intersection and basically was due to horrible weather.  Dark, rainy, no streetlights and a motorcycle down.  Supposedly the guy just didn't see them in the road.  Who would expect it?   I would never have been on a bike in those conditions to begin with.

The other one was a lady waiting to turn into the store. Rearended.  3rd or 4th time in that very place which is almost to Ithaca.  No idea what they can do to fix it.  That is straight up driver inattention.

The road isn't dangerous, the drivers are.  I don't know how you can fix stupid.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MsKreed said:

And those short “slow traffic” lanes only seem to incite more lead-footed behavior. It appears from the reports that the deceased driver was correctly using that lane and she zoomed up on him trying to beat him as the lane ended.

when i first read the article, this is exactly what i pictured as have seen it all too often on that stretch over the years 

seeing this along with the inability, or more likely refusal, for drivers on the highway( including rigs) to NOT move over so those trying to merge in, can...happens at least twice a week to me in sayre

the self-absorbed " i might be 0.05 seconds behind if i show courtesy/brains" just one more proof that society as a whole has FA long enough and is due for a FO moment

Yeah except in this case the wrong person was on the receiving end of that “find out.”

• Like 1

My only issue with this is that he was merging into oncoming traffic.  Not sure legally that he had the right of way.

I don’t want to speculate too much, but the way the report reads, the deceased was merging ( I assume correctly ) into the lane:

”The investigation revealed that the Chevy began to merge left due to the right lane ending. The Ford then sped up in an attempt to get around the Chevy, making contact with the rear of the Chevy and trailer, causing it to lose control and travel into the southbound lane.”

To me that indicates he had room to merge had she not sped up. And even if he misjudged, she could have backed off the gas and just let him over. Though we know there’s countless drivers out there who’d never do such a thing.

The striking vehicle at the very least could be ticketed for following too closely. Though I suspect the investigation could result in more. Or if nothing else open her up to a civil suit.

22 hours ago, Rod said:

Jeesh.  That was almost 7 years ago.  Hopefully she got help and those things were not a factor or that will be a game changer when charges are filed.

46 minutes ago, Chris said:

”The investigation revealed that the Chevy began to merge left due to the right lane ending. The Ford then sped up in an attempt to get around the Chevy, making contact with the rear of the Chevy and trailer, causing it to lose control and travel into the southbound lane.”

To me that indicates he had room to merge had she not sped up. And even if he misjudged, she could have backed off the gas and just let him over. Though we know there’s countless drivers out there who’d never do such a thing.

I'm picturing the same.  

image.png.09eb2f33098ebc0317e63d72c3ea24e5.png

• Like 3

So the usual race to be in first place on that section was the cause then ?! Shame that some drivers just can’t deal with having to be behind the the driver in front . 

13 hours ago, Chris said:

Yeah except in this case the wrong person was on the receiving end of that “find out.”

THATS the big PIA; it never seems to be the ones that need it that get get hurt