Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth Whitehouse

Police

Governor Cuomo had the very good idea of trying to reform the police. However, he asked police departments to reform themselves. Yeah. That's going to happen.  Well, it did in Ithaca and Binghamton to an extent. I do not know what Chemung County did.

Steuben County, underwritten by Corning Incorporated, held a series of listening sessions to form the basis of the reform plan. A huge amount of information was collected, analyzed and disseminated. The Corning police offered to be more open and accountable. I wonder how?  If one has a grievance against the police, you write to the Chief of Police!!! But don't expect an answer.

Ii have knocked on a lot of doors over the past 6 years, and my take-away is that people do not like the police.  There is also a strong feeling tat there are too many.  That is in part because the police do not like people. Much of their training is in firearms use. An officer driving by the other day did wave at me, but that is so rare. People who trust the police have probably never had an encounter.

The impression I get is that police are trained to be suspicious of everyone to the extent that they feel everyone is guilty of something and it's just a question of time before they are found out.

I would love to hear about really positive interactions with our law enforcement officials.

I am reluctant to criticize anyone who puts themselves in harms way for the betterment of society and/or to protect others.

Furthermore, the first 15 years of my adult life was out on the street in emergency services. I had their back, they had mine. I’ve had the advantage of knowing a lot of LEO’s and knowing I could rely on them when needed, both in the job as well as off.

I could plan out a trip to go to door to door to plenty of homes where the people don’t like the police. I’d know their response in advance, and there’s likely a good reason. Conversely I could go to another group of homes knowing full well they’d feel the exact opposite findings than that from other group. So I don’t put a lot of stock in that.

We’ve had to have the police here for not one but two break ins and I can say that they were absolutely a-effing-mazing. Watching two officers go into your house, guns drawn, is something you NEVER forget. You also never forget how compassionate they were after the house was cleared and it was time to catch the scumbags.

If anything, my problem is with the “justice” system and the limp-waisted “justice” that is meted out to those who commit the crimes.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

There is also a strong feeling tat there are too many

Anyone who lives in the country would disagree. Wait around for a trooper or sheriffs deputy who’s 20 minutes away and get back to me.

That is in part because the police do not like people.

This is a complete BS statement. Again, if you’re looking for negative interactions between police and the public, yeah, you’ll find it. You’ll also find more positive, and dare I say even heartwarming stories. The difference is, one sells soap, the other, not so much. 

An officer driving by the other day did wave at me, but that is so rare

How often do you wave? I do it every time I see one out here as a way of saying “thank you”, and they almost always wave back. ( And I’ll note that I don’t know nearly as many officers as 20 years ago, so that’s not why. )

This is a "we'll have to agree to disagree" situation. My encounters with police over the almost 40 years  I have lived here have been rare, but overwhelmingly negative, starting with handcuffing my then 16 year-old daughter for breaking curfew - and then patting her down.

It’s a big world. And not knowing the specifics, I won’t arm chair quarterback.

Were you seriously looking to hear positive police interaction or just looking for something to disagree with?

5 hours ago, Chris said:

How often do you wave? I do it every time I see one out here as a way of saying “thank you”, and they almost always wave back.

Careful, i did that up here few years ago, instead of waving, he pulled me over, claimed i didn't stop long enough at the stop sign and ticketed me.

that said, its much like any other group; there's bound to be assholes you just cannot judge the whole based on the minority. I've long advocated for, at minimum, drive throughs by deputies as there has been an uptick in speeding, break-ins and suspicious activity over the years yet the response has been we are a "low needs area". well many have gotten to the point of not bothering to call because when/if they show up usually within the first 5 minutes of interaction, its rare not to hear " well there's really not much we can do..."

if you look at the majority of those who "hate" police, often times it is because they have run afoul of the Law, got caught yet do not take responsibility for their actions.

if we have too many of anything, id say it would be career politicians of ALL stripes

• Like 1

I can't say I have ever had a negative interaction with a LEO. Even when I was pulled over for a traffic infraction, they were polite and to the point. I was even handcuffed and patted down in front of McDonald's on N Main St and placed in the back of the car and the officer was never negative. 

Yes, some officers are jerks and over the last 20+ years they seem to be more and more. Of course the become jaded. What other job do people have where they are hated because of what officers in other states have done. 

I'm interested in hearing the rest of story on the incident with your daughter. Because I doubt she was just walking down the street 5 minutes after curfew and was stopped. 

23 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

though he would like to see more on the ground, community-based activity. That is, more foot patrols; more face-to-face interaction.

100% City police should have short, varied routes throughout different sections of the City in order to be amongst the people (so to speak) 

Your idea in the other thread about foot patrols is 100% spot on; i think there should be varied and regular routes in different parts of the City that gives officers and the public to be in closer contact; opportunities to get to know one an other instead of a predator v prey scenario( not demonizing LEO btw)

On 8/25/2023 at 11:54 PM, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

he would like to see more on the ground, community-based activity. That is, more foot patrols; more face-to-face interaction. Less confrontation.

I agree it would be nice to see the police walking the beat so to speak. Also doing things to engage kids and the public. The trading cards they did in the laste 80's early 90's was great. The kids interacted with every officer they saw trying to collect the whole set. 

Most SROs in the school do a good job of interacting with kids, but seeing a cop walk your neighborhood and knowing him is a different type of relationship. 

• Like 1

Are SROs armed? Silly question. There is no need for any cop interacting directly with the public to be armed (and primed to shoot first and ask questions later.) Few members of the public will want to approach an officer who might shoot them before hearing what they have to say.

• Confused 1

I'm pretty sure the students at Southside High in 2001 were very happy to have an armed School Resource Officer that they could report concerns to.

And he calmly approached and disarmed the would-be killer....instead of "shooting first and asking questions later".

February 14, 2001
Web posted at: 9:16 p.m. EST (0216 GMT)

ELMIRA, New York (CNN) -- An 18-year-old student was taken into police custody on Wednesday after he walked into his Western New York high school carrying 14 pipe bombs, a shotgun and a handgun, law enforcement officials said.

A fellow student told a security officer at Southside High School about 8 a.m. that the suspect had a gun, Elmira police Capt. Steven Milford told CNN in a phone interview.

The officer approached the student in the school's cafeteria, and the suspect turned over a gun without incident. The officer then found among the suspect's belongings a shotgun and 14 pipe bombs, Milford said. Milford declined to elaborate on where the pipe bombs were found.

Source CNN

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

There is no need for any cop interacting directly with the public to be armed (and primed to shoot first and ask questions later.)

You do realize what the job/expectations are of Law Enforcement right?  Your (mis)characterization that they are "primed to shoot first..." would argue otherwise. First, it is no less offensive than stereotyping blacks, Jews, Gays or any other social/racial group that i am sure would outrage you or any sensible person were they to hear it. Im curious given your statement, what your views on those officers that have been gunned down(ambushed) when responding to seemingly minor calls? 

Second; imagine your home being burgled while you are there or worse yet, sexual assault; when you call the police what is your expectation for them to do, particularly if that criminal is armed, when they arrive? i really dont believe a polite request to cease and follow them to the squad car is gonna quite have the results you seem to imagine.

as has been said time and again: there are bad apples in EVERY group; to judge the many based upon those few is the epitome of ignorance. is there room for more training in dealing with mental issues...of course but before expecting them to add THAT to the plate, perhaps we need to demand better/more mental health care from those we vote into office and hold THEM responsible first.

Law enforcement is designed to deal with the criminal element or at minimum enforce the laws that are supposed to keep society civil. More often than not, when weapons are involved in criminal acts, its an easy bet, the police will be outgunned...Expecting them to use talk-therapy or blow kisses back at those using weapons 

• Like 1

Are SROs armed? Silly question. There is no need for any cop interacting directly with the public to be armed (and primed to shoot first and ask questions later.) Few members of the public will want to approach an officer who might shoot them before hearing what they have to say.

Do you seriously believe this, or are you just shitposting for fun now?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

If they are a good shot there will be no need for questions. 

• Like 2

I do seriously believe it.  I heard a lot while campaigning, and I learned a lot during the very thorough public input period concerning police reform. The police are increasingly militarized, and they are trained to use force if they feel threatened. (The Washington post tracked 8,727 fatal police shootings since 2015). It's easy to say, well, yes, but that doesn't apply to our police. Perhaps not.  But they hunt in packs (Three officers, each a a separate car to respond to a day time call in a respectable neighborhood), and they target the poor and the POCs.

At the end of the day I wonder whether we are getting our money's worth. The police cost the City almost one-third of its budget. Are we getting a good return on investment?

I can't believe you just said that. 

If the police were in fact good shots, they would shoot to disable, not to kill.  But the torso is a much easier target than an arm or a leg.

25 minutes ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

If the police were in fact good shots, they would shoot to disable, not to kill.  But the torso is a much easier target than an arm or a leg.

Speak for yourself.

The fact that you think a shot to the leg or arm would neutralize someone trying to kill the officer or the public show how little you know.

I know that if I was shot in the arm, I would drop my weapon; f I were shot in the leg I would drop to the ground.

The bigger point is that police are very quick to assume that the person they are confronting is trying to kill them.

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I do seriously believe it.  I heard a lot while campaigning, and I learned a lot during the very thorough public input period concerning police reform. The police are increasingly militarized, and they are trained to use force if they feel threatened. (The Washington post tracked 8,727 fatal police shootings since 2015). It's easy to say, well, yes, but that doesn't apply to our police. Perhaps not.  But they hunt in packs (Three officers, each a a separate car to respond to a day time call in a respectable neighborhood), and they target the poor and the POCs.

At the end of the day I wonder whether we are getting our money's worth. The police cost the City almost one-third of its budget. Are we getting a good return on investment?

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Whitehouse said:

I know that if I was shot in the arm, I would drop my weapon; f I were shot in the leg I would drop to the ground.

The bigger point is that police are very quick to assume that the person they are confronting is trying to kill them.

Your breath must smell horrible with all this shit you spew from it.  You and the candidate you represent need to crawl back under the rock you came from. 

Edited by Zapp Brannigan
  • Like 1

Alright, thats about enough for this topic which is neither serious, sane, locally oriented or anything constructive.

In the future let’s keep the posts one or the other, or we’ll have to set new topics to moderator approval. Which is something we’ve never had to do before.

• Like 1