Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

More Than 400 NY Localities Say "No" To Pot Sales

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — More than 400 towns and villages across New York have opted to block local marijuana dispensaries and consumption lounges as a statewide deadline to do so nears, with many officials deciding to stay out of the upcoming market until regulators provide more clarity.

The law that legalized recreational marijuana in New York this year gives municipalities until Dec. 31 to “opt out” of hosting dispensaries or on-site consumption lounges once retail sales start in a year or so. Localities cannot ban legalized possession.

With three weeks left to act, more than a quarter of the New York’s towns and 31% of its villages had voted to become the cannabis equivalent of dry towns when it comes to dispensaries — at least initially. Numbers were slightly higher for consumption sites. Relatively few cities have officially opted out, and none of the state’s largest ones, according to an online tracker maintained by the Rockefeller Institute of Government.

See the rest here. 

What do you think? Did they choose correctly?

Our Village Idiot apparently decided against it without discussion from anyone 

• Haha 2

The link to the Rockefeller Tracker https://rockinst.org/issue-areas/state-local-government/municipal-opt-out-tracker/ says only six out of the 14 municipalities in Chemung County had public hearings so far.....and only one held a referrendum for the voters to ratify. 

image.png.65e6ee3e983aae2d1a4eb67e158562ca.png

I can also attest to the sites disclaimer that decisions are not posted in real time.  

Our Town website says it opted out at the meeting following this week’s public hearing....so I assume the other 3 that held public hearings this week probably made decisions as well that aren't in these statistics.

image.png

Edited by MsKreed

I had no clue our town was having a public hearing on this issue. Or any for that matter. I think because they only put it in the Star Gazette. It's not even listed on the town website:

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 11.09.43 AM.png

34 minutes ago, Chris said:

I had no clue our town was having a public hearing on this issue. Or any for that matter. I think because they only put it in the Star Gazette. It's not even listed on the town website:

Same here.....

They only post that monthly meetings take place on the 2nd Thursday, but particulars on agendas or topics are not posted in advance on the website. Just recap after the fact. 

Village of Horseheads is right on top of that incoming tax money lol. Funny they opt out of legal dispensaries but still allow the gray area sticker stores to operate. I had a good conversation with a local business owner who said people have been beating down the door to try and rent the 2 open spaces next to him for sticker stores. Anyways his concern was that these shops are face it selling consumables ie; smokable products or edible products with no liability who is testing the products for safety besides the customers. 

I find it funny the and sad at the same time the kids small villages and communities that complain they are not getting enough money from county taxes are the first ones to opt out where they would get funds from a dispensary. 

Also I am not sure if anyone would open a dispensary where your market is 35 people and a bunch of livestock. No hate to the people in those community, but Uncle Ricky probably sells it cheaper than a dispensary will. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Also I am not sure if anyone would open a dispensary where your market is 35 people and a bunch of livestock. No hate to the people in those community, but Uncle Ricky probably sells it cheaper than a dispensary will. 

Good ole Uncle Ricky !! 😆😆

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

Also I am not sure if anyone would open a dispensary where your market is 35 people and a bunch of livestock.

Okay, fair point LOL

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Also I am not sure if anyone would open a dispensary where your market is 35 people and a bunch of livestock.

i see the point but if you dont swing at the ball you'll certainly NEVER hit it....im thinking more long term that if enough towns/areas at least allow dispensaries, that opens a possibility, albeit remote, for growing of crops to sell in said places as well as normalizing the growing of Hemp. Agriculture that this area has plenty of land to promote

but again, village idiots and all

• Like 3

I would love to see hemp crops allowed. But narrow minded people that think they know better are in control!

9 hours ago, Adam said:

i see the point but if you dont swing at the ball you'll certainly NEVER hit it....im thinking more long term that if enough towns/areas at least allow dispensaries, that opens a possibility, albeit remote, for growing of crops to sell in said places as well as normalizing the growing of Hemp. Agriculture that this area has plenty of land to promote

but again, village idiots and all

Unfortunately I do not think you will see many small farmers selling to dispensaries the amount of taxes both parties have to pay during the transaction make it not so lucrative then to turn around and sell it for a profit on top of including charging the customers taxes I don't see it happening.  I estimate the retail tax in Boston dispensaries at 25%

• Like 1

Yeah , if I feel so inclined I’ll visit Uncle Ricky !