Sign in to follow this  
Chris

"They Times They Are A Changin"

I totally stole this from another website. There, the original poster wrote the following:

I went skiing for the first time in a while, and was surprised by how the lift pass had changed. They just give you a card that you put in your breast pocket, and NFC readers on all the lifts just open automatically as you approach. It was a complete sea change from the paper stickers that some attendant would check when I was a kid. It's a clearly superior solution, and one using now-common technology, but I hadn't thought about that change being made until I saw it.

Focus: What advances in technology or knowledge have completely supplanted the way things were done/known when you grew up? Especially things that didn't really occur to you until you suddenly realized "oh, it's completely different now."

We were watching the last Jurassic Park movie the other day. I was telling our son that if you showed 5 year old me those high def images of dinosaurs on the TV, my brain would have exploded. Walking With Dinosaurs would have been playing on a continuous loop. All I had was episodes of Land of the Lost, which wasn't remotely accurate, scientifically speaking. Of course as a kid, I had no idea. 

And, knowing now that they weren’t these slow, lumbering, monochromatic things as TV and movies portrayed them? That they were colorful, fast moving and some had feathers?!?

It’s still pretty amazing to me going on 49!

This coming from the kid that could identify and spell the specific names  of the dinosaurs he liked … and he liked them all ! Like Orni —Onit , spell check please … Ornitholestes, thank you spell check ! 😂

Back to topic now . Yes , if when I got my first guitar at 12 years old there was such a thing as internet learning would have been soooo much easier ! No chord sheets no books no access to anything to help me get started except my ears . 
Now with internet , so many tutorials so many ways to learn different styles of guitar and each one finally makes sense to me and I still can’t hardly read music . Oh sure as I grew and left home to visit with Uncle Sam there were books , charts etc but no time to play any instruments ( no place on a ship for guitars ) now … WOW 🤩 it all comes to me through a tiny screen or a medium screen or my 42” screen ! Never would I have thought …

On 1/20/2023 at 3:46 PM, Hal said:

Now with internet , so many tutorials so many ways to learn different styles of guitar

Yeah it's pretty amazing, the amount of information out there. I don't know if I would have benefitted from it like you have, it seems to have taken some serious mental breakthrough to get to where I am at the moment. 

But really, there's a video out there on how to do damn near anything anymore. My father in law was just talking about darning some wool socks he bought and really likes. I was thinking, "who the hell darns socks anymore" but at the price of these babies, I would too. He said it took some doing to find the materials needed, but sure enough there was a YouTube video on HOW to do it. 

It's such a wonderful tool at times.

• Like 1

Weather forecasts, for the most part, are far more accurate than they were back in the day when it was a "weather man" who pasted vinyl graphics on the wall at the local station. The new radar and forecast models are so much more sophisticated now. Sure, they're not always right, Mother Nature can be unpredictable, but they generally are. 

22 minutes ago, Chris said:

But really, there's a video out there on how to do damn near anything anymore.

Oh yeah.....YouTube is an amazing technological resource that I could never have imagined in the past.

Last summer, I diagnosed and fixed and “airlock” in my hot tub circulator like a pro after seeing a YT video.

And just last week I bought a table saw. The manual had pretty crappy images/instructions for assembling the blade guard and pawls. I almost thought I’d need to have my brother or neighbor come over to help me get it figured out. YouTube to the rescue!

It’s also sort of astonishing that we went from watching what was on while it was on, to VCR to record (or buy/rent) and watch later, to nearly unlimited streaming anytime, anywhere. 

This generation will never understand the concept of missing some important plot twist or ending and wondering exactly what happened.

10 hours ago, Chris said:

It's such a wonderful tool at times.

dude, i literally learned and prepped for surgeries through youtube

8 hours ago, Adam said:

dude, i literally learned and prepped for surgeries through youtube

Oh yeah, I it helped me pass my CDL easier than I may have otherwise.

I recently fixed and tuned up a generator for a family member when asked how I knew how to do all the McGyver things I do I told them “ through a lifetime of screwing things up “ ! Much easier now days with you tube but even then you have to pick and chose as we well know there are some (literal ) clowns there . 
Or you  can just change the belts on that snowblower 3 times until you get it right 😂

People seem to find my little percolator coffee pot quaint when there's a Keurig or other automated soffee machine handy ( and yeah, I have a Keurig as well ). That is, until they taste how coffee is supposed to taste, and it's piping hot. I take it on all out of town trips, because most of the time the place we'll stay has a coffee machine, but not the pods or whatever it needs. Or we can't figure out how to get the damn thing to work.