TTL News

Ollie's Coming To Former Horseheads K-Mart Location

As reported by First News Now

HORSEHEADS, NY - Once local residents saw the banner hanging on the old Kmart building at the Grand Central Plaza, the word was out across social media and this photo was sent to FNN this afternoon.

FNN was told the banner appeared on the empty building at the plaza sometime on Tuesday afternoon, June 15, 2021. Local and distant shoppers were immediately excited about the business opening up in the near future.

In case you do not know, the business is called Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, aka "Ollie's". Ollie's Bargain Outlet is an American chain of discount retail stores founded in 1982 by Morton Bernstein and Mark L. Butler with backing from Harry Coverman and Oliver "Ollie" Rosenberg. According to Ollie's they are one of America’s largest retailers of closeout merchandise and excess inventory.

Ollie's Bargain Outlet presently has 407 stores. The company has opened 18 new stores since November 2020. One of the newest store is celebrating their Grand Opening today, June 16, 2021, in San Antonio, TX, while another store will be celebrating it's Grand Opening on June 23, 2021, in Valdosta, GA.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.24.12 AM.png

Photo by Bud Baldwin

FNN has not yet received word back from the company about when Ollie's Bargain Outlet store will open in Horseheads, NY. In fact, the company has not release any information on the newest store opening at the Grand Central Plaza, with the exception of their banner hanging on the empty old Kmart building.

Ollie's stores feature its namesake co-founder Oliver E. Rosenberg, in the form of humorous caricatures throughout its stores' interiors, merchandising displays and on its logo, as well as, exterior signage. Rosenberg, a capital area realtor and entrepreneur, passed away in 1996 at age 75.

For the Horseheads area and for residents the business will be a great addition to the Grand Central Plaza. The old Kmart store has been closed since March of 2019. Business owners in the area are also excited, as the new Ollie's Bargain Outlet will attract more customers to the area, which will also benefit their businesses.

• Like 1

So basically a Big Lots store only bigger ! At any rate it will bring business to an empty building and a failing plaza .  

13 minutes ago, Hal said:

So basically a Big Lots store only bigger ! At any rate it will bring business to an empty building and a failing plaza .  

I hate to knock it because it does at least make one less empty business... But yes.  When we browsed through the one in Ithaca, the quality of merchandise didn't impress us. Seemed like there was probably good reason why the stuff hadn't sold at regular retailers.

Of course, Kmart had become a dilapidated building that offered mostly junk.....so not like this is really a step down.

What I like about Ollie's is the selection of discount books. All the one's I have been to have a large selection and I always find a new book.

• Like 1

I have never visited this store at its other locations so i really can’t/ won’t  make any negative comments other than to compare to Big Lots that has the similar products . 
On a much smaller scale there is a similar store directly in back of that building , Luckys i believe it’s called will be pushed out . But hey , being in that situation myself at one time I was informed by one of my suppliers … “ oh well , thats business” .  

Not gonna lie, I like Big Lots and I was pretty excited about Ollies.

I am also happy to see them coming. Usually the books and rugs are the only things of quality,  but sometimes you find something else hidden on a shelf somewhere.  I never even bother with the food or snacks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

What I like about Ollie's is the selection of discount books. All the one's I have been to have a large selection and I always find a new book.

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I am also happy to see them coming. Usually the books and rugs are the only things of quality,  but sometimes you find something else hidden on a shelf somewhere.  I never even bother with the food or snacks.

This makes a huge difference to me! 

I don't remember seeing a book section on the occasion I shopped there. As packed as it was, I'm guessing we missed that aisle. 

32 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

This makes a huge difference to me! 

I don't remember seeing a book section on the occasion I shopped there. As packed as it was, I'm guessing we missed that aisle. 

Everyone I have been in the books have been in the front of the store to the right of the doors.

3 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Update: Ollies has opened. You can get a look at their recent flyer here.

Packed parking lot the entire day on opening day.  I heard in and out easy enough and good deals. 

On 6/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, KarenK said:

Not gonna lie, I like Big Lots and I was pretty excited about Ollies.

I always forget about Big Lots until I drive by.  Have shopped there a few times and no complaints.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Anyone been to the new Ollie's location to check it out? If so, what did you think?

Not yet.  I've been waiting for the novelty to wear off a bit.  There is another craft show on the other side of the building this weekend so I might hit up both.

• Like 1