TTL News

NY Dems Introduce Bill To Raise Legislative Pay

Albany Democrats introduced legislation late Monday night to raise their own pay by $32,000 per year in a special legislative session expected as soon as Thursday.

While state lawmakers will face a $35,000 per year limit on outside income, those changes will not take effect until 2025 compared to the pay bump from $110,000 to $142,000 per year they would get by January 2023 if the bill passes the state Senate and Assembly by the end of 2022.

Such a salary increase would make New York legislators the highest paid in the nation ahead of second-place California where lawmakers will make a relatively paltry $119,702 this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislators.

Republicans have blasted the idea of a special session in recent weeks after months in which Democrats rejected suggestions to return to Albany to change controversial criminal justice reforms amid rising crime amid calls by the GOP and Democrats like New York City Mayor Eric Adams.

State lawmakers typically meet in between January and June each year.

Read more from this article HERE

“One-party, all-Democrat control of New York State government continues to show no shame," said Republican State Senator Tom O'Mara. "New York is the highest taxed state in America and Albany Democrats think they deserve to be the highest paid legislators in America? Albany Democrats see this state becoming less safe, less affordable, less free, less economically competitive, less responsible, and far less hopeful for the future, and their first order of business is to give themselves a huge pay raise? It’s wrong, it’s irresponsible, and it can’t be justified by any measure of accountability or integrity. One-party, all-Democrat rule has been a disaster for New York. It’s out of control and it’s about to go from bad to worse in the new year.”  

Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone could set their own raises.

Why not? the County Reps did the same thing despite feigning concern for saving taxpayers $$ by lowering the levy despite warnings of potential future fiscal issues

“I believe that legislators need to be compensated for the hard work that they do."

Hard work is something you do with a pick and shovel. Hell, my job aint hard work and I accomplish more than these dolts. 

People don’t realize the sacrifice that they make being away from their families,” Heastie told reporters earlier this month.

Aw, poor baby. Maybe you should find another line of actual work, requiring less "sacrifice" then. 

Give me a friggin' break. 

And they'll get their raise folks, and there aint a god damned thing you can do to stop them. What's more, they know it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

Aw, poor baby. Maybe you should find another line of actual work, requiring less "sacrifice" then. 

In the. Public sector they would be told pretty much just that ! 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Hard work is something you do with a pick and shovel. Hell, my job aint hard work and I accomplish more than these dolts. 

Give me a friggin' break. 

And they'll get their raise folks, and there aint a god damned thing you can do to stop them. What's more, they know it.

They "work" Jan til June and a great deal of the time they aren't even in Albany. They vote remotely or don't vote at all.  

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

They "work" Jan til June and a great deal of the time they aren't even in Albany. They vote remotely or don't vote at all. 

Helluva Gig the have going innit !