Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

WENY Report - Homelessness In Elmira: Growing Problem

ELMIRA, N.Y. (WENY)-- Homelessness is a growing problem in the City of Elmira. Many homeless people were living under the Clemens Center Bridge and one shelter had to shut down due to safety concerns.

The City of Elmira recently cleaned up the homeless encampment under the Clemens Center Bridge, however many people who were living there returned a short time later.

Officials offered help to the people living there but say the overwhelming majority of homeless people refused help. With winter around the corner, the city and its homeless are in a tough spot.

Elmira removed the encampment after putting the people who lived there on notice.  However, they are back! Joseph Calkans is one of them.  He has a blue tent under the bridge facing north towards the water. It is where he and his girlfriend and dog live 

"On the street, we feel as if we got more freedom, we ain't being judged. I felt belittled they think they are better than us when this can happen to anybody at any time, all it takes is that one second and there you go you're homeless,"  Calkans said.

See the full report here.

There are people wandering the streets that shouldn't be. They are unable to care for themselves and it's time to re-examine how we treat mental health in this country. Big shocker there, right?

I for one am sick and tired of seeing the grocery carts full of junk abandoned along the streets or the piles of garbage left everywhere throughout the city. 

I agree wholeheartedly that mental illness is a contributing factor to being homeless, even an addiction . For the most part the Psych Center closing is at fault for this part of the problem ! Here comes the “but “ … but ( warned ya ) there is a large percentage of those that are homeless by choice and as for them they are comfortable with the freedom from responsibility such as taxes , bills or having to work to eat , drink whatever just don’t want to be bothered . This is not a mental illness it is a life style they chose . But to foist that lifestyle on others with the messes and messing under the bridges or as Chris says the shopping carts of what little they have or have stolen to sell is not to be forced on those that choose a normal , or some other lifestyle ! 
The burden of cleaning under the bridges is not forced on them although they create that mess again not being burdened by that responsibility thing but now they are back and will return again and again ! How to break that cycle … Hell , I don’t know I have my own ( responsibility ( theres that word again ) and its not that I don’t care but in all honesty I as with many others of like mind have become desensitized to the “plight” of the “poor and downtrodden “ especially when I am informed that other poor unfortunates are getting another increase in EBT benefits from the Gummit , and don’t get me started on the misnomer “ earned income credit “ !  
Please rember this is just my opinion but one based on th number of others who in conversation have expressed the same feelings . 

Senator O'Mara addressed the Legislature at Tuesday's meeting Found HERE

Among other topics (impacts of NYS Green initiatives, new gun legislation, etc), there was also some discussion on homelessness and mental health. 

At around the 24:22 time stamp. Legislator McCarthy raised the topic of "Walking Zombies" who "shouldn't be in neighborhoods ruining good tax paying citizens' lives".

Edited by MsKreed

And, as I alluded to in another topic about the arena.... Downtown 'revitalization' will continue to be a challenge because of this problem.

Those employed nearby may still patronize downtown businesses by day when they're already in the area....But are deterred from making a trip to visit downtown for entertainment and evening events that entail walking more than a block or two in the the dark. 

15 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

At around the 24:22 time stamp. Legislator McCarthy raised the topic of "Walking Zombies" who "shouldn't be in neighborhoods ruining good tax paying citizens' lives".

For an elected Official to make this statement is asinine ! If he needs to refer to our homeless population as “walking zombies “ maybe he needs to take a tour of LA or similar Cities. I would hope that my post didn’t reflect that degree of ignorance or arrogance.

While that phrase wasn't very professional, the discussion and his points about lack of mental health and substance abuse solutions are valid concerns for his district. 

Overall, the entire meeting was a good listen and brought up many relevant points, from O'Mara, legislators and the public.

• Like 1

Honestly while I haven’t listened to the meeting yet, it doesn’t sound like McCarthy’s statements are too far off the mark. Nor would I take them as an intentional insult against the mentally ill or homeless. 

I spend a lot of time driving around the neighborhoods in the city, and honestly, it’s an apt description for the drug addled people wandering the streets both day and night, stealing anything that isn’t locked down tight.

11 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Officials offered help to the people living there but say the overwhelming majority of homeless people refused help. With winter around the corner, the city and its homeless are in a tough spot.

no, its not, help/resources were offered and declined, roust their asses out of there and provide one way bus ticket...no option given

11 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

On the street, we feel as if we got more freedom, we ain't being judged. I felt belittled they think they are better than us when this can happen to anybody at any time, all it takes is that one second and there you go you're homeless,"  Calkans said.

so which is it; choice or happenstance?

On 10/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, Hal said:

For the most part the Psych Center closing is at fault for this part of the problem ! . 

I swiped my badge to get into the facility this morning. I see aides and doctors. I just finished working with patients. I see services being provided. 

Is my life a mirage. Am I dreaming?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I swiped my badge to get into the facility this morning. I see aides and doctors. I just finished working with patients. I see services being provided. 

No, you're seeing the bare bones that's still being provided. Or perhaps the services offered there now aren't what they were 20-30 years ago.

The problem is, the need is far greater than that or any other facility in this area can possibly manage. Getting someone who is in a mental health crisis admitted to the care they need is next to impossible for far too many families. Christ, even getting someone in to see a mental health counselor is difficult. There's not enough of them to meet the need, and the ones that are out there are at their breaking point trying to help.

45 minutes ago, Chris said:

No, you're seeing the bare bones that's still being provided. Or perhaps the services offered there now aren't what they were 20-30 years ago.

The problem is, the need is far greater than that or any other facility in this area can possibly manage. Getting someone who is in a mental health crisis admitted to the care they need is next to impossible for far too many families. Christ, even getting someone in to see a mental health counselor is difficult. There's not enough of them to meet the need, and the ones that are out there are at their breaking point trying to help.

I’ve lived it personally and professionally. Not telling me anything I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

That was something O'Mara remarked about in last week's Legislature meeting:

It wasn't there many years ago they wanted to close Elmira Psychiatric Center completely. But what they've done in the meantime, since they didn't close it, is they put it a census track in. That it can only trend downward on occupied beds. So the number of beds open can only go down from year to year. It can never go up regardless of how full those beds are. And that's the policy that New York State mental health is follow. It's not good.

I just recalled a conversation I had with someone who once participated on here and iElmira. I don't recall their screen name and won't use their real name, but they made a really great point. You could have all the nice shops, restaurants, etc. in downtown and it wouldn't matter because of the people wandering the streets throughout the day. 

They mentioned someone they knew who decided to have a lunch meeting at that restaurant that was once in the Arena. ( A great place, for those in position to make it happen lurking and looking for more ideas. ) Anyhow, they were seated by the windows, taking in the downtown scene when some vagrant looking guy came by and made quite a scene, I believe hocking a loogie on the window before wandering off. 

Now multiply that story x "God knows how much" because the city is crawling with people who apparently don't know how to behave in public. And in fairness, this isn't just an issue of mental illness by the way. There is a lot of ignorance on the street.

4 hours ago, Jack said:

Maybe a simple “ its still open “ would suffice . Sarcasm is a better fit on FB . 

1 hour ago, Hal said:

Maybe a simple “ its still open “ would suffice . Sarcasm is a better fit on FB . 

Yeah.

Exercising any “right” or “freedom” is supposed to be accompanied by a correlating “responsibility”.

For instance: children who aren’t capable of making safe and responsible decisions are allowed the “freedom” to drive, own firearms, consume alcohol or buy spray paint. When/if a responsible adult chooses to do these things, they are accountable for any consequences.

Likewise, the “right” to refuse services should come with responsibility.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, TwinTiersLiving said:

Elmira removed the encampment after putting the people who lived there on notice.  However, they are back! Joseph Calkans is one of them.  He has a blue tent under the bridge facing north towards the water. It is where he and his girlfriend and dog live 

"On the street, we feel as if we got more freedom, we ain't being judged. I felt belittled they think they are better than us when this can happen to anybody at any time, all it takes is that one second and there you go you're homeless,"  Calkans said.

This guy has an entitled attitude and somehow thinks having to follow rules for whatever agency/service is “judgment”.  Nope. Respect and responsibility are just the price of sharing a living space with other humans.  Whether your living space is a home, a shelter or a railroad bridge on public property, you’re infringing on others’ “rights and freedoms” if you’re stealing stuff, discarding drug paraphernalia, or spitting and urinating all over the place.

If it’s truly his choice, then he should be held to city ordinances and codes like anyone else. Unfortunately, the current justice system in NYS no longer supports enforcement of criminal behavior.

On the other hand, if it’s not a choice but a disease (whether mental illness or addiction), then it should be treated like other Public Health emergencies. It’s well established that treatment mandates and/or restrictions can be placed on those with an infectious disease that could potentially pose a risk to others (Polio, Monkey Pox,  Hepatitis, etc).

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

Exercising any “right” or “freedom” is supposed to be accompanied by a correlating “responsibility”.

An idea that erodes every day in our society. 

A very long established homeless shelter in the area closed down this summer due to safety concerns for staff.  We can blame the homelessness in this area on drugs and mental health to a degree, but let's not kid ourselves here, there is a percentage of the population that chooses to live that way.

And either way the result is piles of garbage, behaviors and conditions that are a public nuisance. This city will never become what people want it to so long as this problem continues. 

It's time to reopen long term care mental health and drug rehabilitation centers with strict oversight to avoid a repeat of the horrors that patients in these facilities had to endure in the past. And provide those who choose this lifestyle a one way ticket out of town like they used to do 20-30 years ago.

8 hours ago, Chris said:

It's time to reopen long term care mental health and drug rehabilitation centers with strict oversight to avoid a repeat of the horrors that patients in these facilities had to endure in the past. And provide those who choose this lifestyle a one way ticket out of town like they used to do 20-30 years ago.

Staffing? People already don’t want to work in these facilities. It doesn’t get talked about in the papers or on social media, but staff in these facilities are assaulted as much as those who work corrections. Piss, shit, spit, violent attacks. 

Until my promotion, I didn’t have a week where I worked less than 60 hours due to inadequate staffing. Why would any one subject themselves to that abuse for a pay check? Family time? It was a dream until my promotion.

But boy, those paychecks were nice. 🙄

And trust me, the horrors this population faced in the before Willowbrook aired are not what they are facing now. There is always room for improvement and it continues to improve. There is strict oversight. 

The mental health facilities can only do so much.

At what point does it come to the responsibility of the patient to participate in their recovery? To stay away from the drugs? To stay on the medication they are prescribed? To keep appointments? They aren’t dropped off a cliff at discharge. 

A stay in a rehab facility isn’t the cure. 

Open more long term facilities. Fine. Spread staffing and the funding even thinner  

There is only so much a doctor, a SW, a psychiatrist can do. At some point it falls on the patient to hold up their end of the bargain. 

If everyone that screamed mental health applied to work, we could have all the facilities in the world. 

And for those that can’t hold up that end of the bargain? We have patients currently here with stays longer than years I’ve lived. There are no short term facilities. 

I love my job. My fellow staff love their jobs. 

But we are tired. We are burned out. We are doing our best. We are doing our best with no support from those we should have support from. 

Every one has solutions but never wants to be part of the solution. 

We know where the blame ultimately falls. 

Thats all I’ve got for this conversation. I took this a little more personal than I should have. Thats my fault. I’ll work on that. 

But I will not sit idly by while those who continue to show up daily and do the work are slandered. We are the facilities  

Edited by Jack
Clarification
  • Like 1

Jack where did you see anyone slander the mental health profession? Go back and re-read what I said:

On 10/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, Chris said:

There's not enough of them to meet the need, and the ones that are out there are at their breaking point trying to help.

know what it’s doing to the mental health care providers out there, and despite all obstacles, they keep going.

Perhaps I should have been more detailed about what I meant when I said:

On 10/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, Chris said:

Getting someone who is in a mental health crisis admitted to the care they need is next to impossible for far too many families.

Insurance companies are absolute heartless pricks when it comes to proper treatment. They’d rather pay for a pill that hides the symptoms but doesn’t actually cure the cause.

I stand by my belief that we need more long term care facilities again. And with that would be the need for meaningful changes in how things are run and how staff is treated or compensated. Which can be said for health care across the board, mental health facilities aren’t unique in the need for improvement.

But FFS you can see multiple times on this site where I’ve stated they need better funding, better incentives for staff retention, better… well, everything. NEVER have I blamed the people in the frontlines for the failure of the system, the system is broken and failing them.

And of course the patient bears responsibility in their treatment, when they have the mental ability to take any of that responsibility. But so many don’t. So what do we do with them? Continue to let them wander the streets?

44 minutes ago, Jack said:

I took this a little more personal than I should have. Thats my fault. I’ll work on that. 

Honestly, yeah, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a “fault”. You are passionate about what you do and feel the need to stand up for you and your colleagues. Stick around, I’m sure you have a lot of good perspective when it comes to this particular part of the homelessnesses problem.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chris said:

And of course the patient bears responsibility in their treatment, when they have the mental ability to take any of that responsibility. But so many don’t. So what do we do with them? Continue to let them wander the streets?

There is no answer in our current system....There's a spiral that we are seeing play out:   

It's purportedly a cruel violation of human rights to compel someone to follow a treatment plan. 

If they are free to ignore (or exacerbate) their condition (whether addiction or mental illness), their behavior violates criminal laws.

The penalties for those violations rarely include incarceration. And when it does, the care in jail isn't what they fully need, and is short term.

Involuntary mental health committal is not easy, not long-term and has limited capacity & staffing levels.

So they will be released. And once released, It's a violation of human rights to compel them to follow a treatment plan. 

OHM funding (for increased staffing,capacity, pay and training) needs to be increased. Along with funding, laws that govern mental hygiene need to changed to allow more compulsory inpatient treatment (in a supervised, controlled 'round the clock setting). This is needed to mitigate "refusal" of care (that results in unsafe living conditions and petty criminal behavior).

• Like 1

cannot count how many folks either didnt get heart surgery because they wouldnt stop smoking or lose weight first, or had surgery and kept smoking. or cancer patients who continue to smoke, diabetics and bariatric patients who do not change their diets yet display the utmost surprise and befuddled looks when their treatments do not work or get offended when told they need to do more than take a pill or shot

its not much in offering solution, but perhaps explains the behavior; Healthcare is touted as a Right and as any other is taken for granted and, yes abused.

needs to be clear that healthcare is a privilege and a finite one at that. if one does not want to partake in their plan of care(for those with capacity) then they lose the privilege, freeing up resources for those in need and reducing the surplus workload....

i know bit harsh and unrealistic, but a breaking point needs to be reached soon or nothing is going to change.

While I don’t want this thread to get too far off topic, I’m sorry, but you’re comparing apples to oranges.

Theres a large segment of the homeless population that are mentally I’ll and can’t be relied upon to do something as simple as take their meds regularly. They’re too busy talking to their imaginary friends or running from demons that to them are as very real as I am to you. 

9 hours ago, Adam said:

…but a breaking point needs to be reached soon…

Haven’t we already? How many more mass shootings does it take? How many more people living under a bridge?

So to get back on topic, what do we do besides clucking our tongues or clutching pearls? Because the current excuse for a plan isn’t working. 

11 hours ago, Chris said:

I’m sorry, but you’re comparing apples to oranges.

not sure where you buy your fruit but it IS linked in that it shows the issue goes well beyond just mental health aspect unfortunately, it is both a systemic( "right" of healthcare, patients becoming customers and insurance companies profiting as well as Administrators making exorbitant salaries while their facilities whither away) and societal( sense of entitlement, everyone is special and my way right away mentality). 

Hospitals are not resorts and they should not be attended nor staffed as such

20 hours ago, Adam said:

if one does not want to partake in their plan of care(for those with capacity)

note the parenthetical

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Haven’t we already? How many more mass shootings does it take? How many more people living under a bridge?

So to get back on topic, what do we do besides clucking our tongues or clutching pearls?

no quick fix for any of it seemingly but much of it ,long term sadly, is that we must raise the bar in who we choose to govern. war on drugs, poverty, mental illness, poor healthcare, guns, or what have you have been promised for decades yet each has gotten exponentially worse. common thread? same politicians holding office for as many decades as those issues have made headlines. maybe with leaders instead of politicians there could be limits placed on profit margins for insurance companies, caps placed on out of pocket co-pays and/or premiums. allow healthcare providers to do their jobs; help those in need, those who will actively participate, and yes, move those who show no interest get the dregs for a change. short of that, clucking of tongues is all youll get to see