TTL News

Starbucks Workers From Last Two Remaining Ithaca Locations Striking Over More Union-Busting Allegations

ITHACA, N.Y.—Workers at the last two open Starbucks locations in Ithaca are striking after another episode of what they allege is retaliation against them for unionizing by the company. 

On the morning of Aug. 25, union organizer Kayli Gillett was fired from the Starbucks located on the Ithaca Commons, causing the rest of the employees on the floor to walk out and strike for the remainder of the operating hours.

Gillett, who had been with the company for more than four years, was the third worker in the past three weeks to be fired from an Ithaca store, after Benjamin South was fired in the beginning of August. Both South and Gillett had been deeply involved in the local Starbucks unionization effort. 

The Commons locations workers walked out after the firing, and the strike has spread to the South Meadow Street location as well. Tensions have been high between the union and company since the Collegetown location was closed shortly after the successful unionization vote in April. 

Read more here.

I read elsewhere that this employee was 80 minutes late the day she was fired and I'd bet it wasn't her first time. Probably thought that holy union card would protect her and found out otherwise. 

If I was Starbucks I'd just shut down all operations in Ithaca. 

• Like 1

I absolutely love how Starbucks is handling this.

"the NLRB also alleged that the company withheld benefits and wage increases from unionized baristas — which Starbucks denied, falling back on a statement made in July stating that “The laws is clear: once a store unionizes, no changes to benefits are allowed without good faith collective bargaining.”

It also sounds like you are right. 

"According to Gillett, she had been fired by manager Chris Mix after arriving late to work — something the company is typically lenient on, claimed union representative Jaz Brisack, except when the employee is a unionized worker."

Also Starbucks corporate put out a statement. “Some of the complaints from the union have been about our sharing facts and our perspective on this important issue so partners can make informed decisions when they vote. Our hope is the union would respect our right to share information and our perspective just as we respect their right to do so.”

I love the fact they wanted a union and now have to follow the rules that go along with that. That they don't like so much.

• Like 1

On the morning of Aug. 25, union organizer Kayli Gillett was fired from the Starbucks located on the Ithaca Commons, causing the rest of the employees on the floor to walk out and strike for the remainder of the operating hours.
Guess they don’t know they can strike themselves right out of a job ! 

Absolutely Kevin … they have unionized themselves right into a corner !! If they are going to play the union game then they have to accept  all the bullshit that comes with it … 

Go ahead , ask me how I know ! 

• Like 1

I always tell people if you think Unions are so great ask the people at Hostess.

The company told the union they can't afford raises and the union decided to strike. Hostess told the union if you're out for more than a week or 2 we will be closing the doors because we can't afford a stroke. The union went for the strike anyway and a week later they announced they were shutting down. 

When I saw they were organizing unions in the first place I said they need to be careful what they wish for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KarenK said:

When I saw they were organizing unions in the first place I said they need to be careful what they wish for.

From what I have read it is mostly young people being lead by a few older long term employees. The young ones don't plan on staying long, but keep hearing the long time employees saying how great it would be. 

Besides older Starbuck's employees I sort of wonder how many of those younger people are college students who were possibly influenced by professors and faculty singing the praises of unions?  If so, it will be too bad if those faculty members have to settle for McCafe when they're options disappear. 

• Like 2

It's kind of karmic destiny that some corporations with history of the most vocal virtue signaling are suddenly singing a new tune. 

The union now has its sights on another New York warehouse: Workers at an Amazon facility near Albany have gathered enough signatures to petition the National Labor Relations Board for their own election.

However, Amazon has objected to the union's victory, accusing the NLRB's regional office in Brooklyn – which oversaw the election – of acting in favor of the Amazon Labor Union. Amazon also accused the ALU of coercing and misleading warehouse workers.

Source: Amazon loses key step in its attempt to reverse its workers' historic union vote

🤣😂