TTL News

New York Restricts Families From Sending Packages To Inmates

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — As part of an effort to keep illegal drugs and other contraband out of state prisons, New York is taking away one of the few pleasures of life behind bars: It will no longer let people send inmates care packages from home. 

Under the new policy, which the state began phasing in last month, friends and family aren’t allowed to deliver packages in person during prison visits. They also won’t be allowed to mail boxes of goodies unless those come directly from third-party vendors.

While the rule won’t stop prisoners from getting items that can be ordered online, like a Snickers bar or a bag of Doritos, they will lose access to foods like home-cooked meals or grandma’s cookies. 

That’s a letdown for people like Caroline Hansen, who for 10 years hand-delivered packages filled with fresh vegetables, fruits, and meats to her husband, who is serving a life sentence.

“When I first started bringing him packages, he said he loved avocados. He hadn’t had them in about 20 years,” said Hansen, a single mother of two who works as a waitress in Long Island.

“What breaks my heart is, I take for granted having a banana with my yogurt. Imagine never being able to eat a banana?” she added, saying her husband’s prison cafeteria serves bananas once a month, at most.

Read the rest here. 

Deprived of his "basic necessities"?  I'm pretty sure NYS DOCCS is providing him with more "basic necessities" than that cab driver has.

Hansen, whose husband is serving time for killing a cab driver, said having to order goods through vendors that charge “ridiculous prices,” was no solution to the contraband problem.

“My husband basically thinks this is one more way to deprive him of his basic necessities,” Hansen said.

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

“What breaks my heart is, I take for granted having a banana with my yogurt. Imagine never being able to eat a banana?” she added, saying her husband’s prison cafeteria serves bananas once a month, at most.

My heart bleeds for him... truly. 🙄

• Like 2

If you don’t want to lose your bananas don’t commit crimes ! 

• Like 1

Trying to muster up a tiny bit of sympathy here.  Killed a cab driver and now the state is cruel for depriving him of his banana's.  It's comical really.

• Like 1

I didn't even bother reading more or looking up what he did. The fact that he was sent in for life told me all I needed to know. 

12 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Send him bananas from Amazon. 

Amazon is one of those vendors that charge  “ridiculous prices”....and besides, vendors won't go the extra mile to lace the stuff with drugs like loyal and loving family will.

11 hospitalized after fentanyl sent to Dannemora prison

Staff at Marcy Correctional Facility seized multiple drugs from inmate packages

• Like 2