Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Gina Carano Fired From The Mandalorian After Social Media Post

Carano fell under heavy criticism after she posted that “Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors.... even by children.”

The actor continued to say, “Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.09.58 AM.png

Carano, who played the recurring character Cara Dune on the “Star Wars” series, deleted the post but it was widely shared online and spurred the #FireGinaCarano hashtag to trend. Her character appeared in several episodes of the second season of “The Mandalorian,” a series about a bounty hunter and his quest to unite a powerful, young user of the Force with a Jedi Knight.

The actor continued to say, “Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

Carano, who played the recurring character Cara Dune on the “Star Wars” series, deleted the post but it was widely shared online and spurred the #FireGinaCarano hashtag to trend. Her character appeared in several episodes of the second season of “The Mandalorian,” a series about a bounty hunter and his quest to unite a powerful, young user of the Force with a Jedi Knight.

Read the rest of the article here.

What do you think? Did Carano finally cross the line or was she unfairly terminated?

The post wasn't wrong. Another case of people being offended by the truth.

• Like 2

She said nothing wrong and was unfairly terminated.  Anyone who doesn’t believe history can repeat it’s self is a fool.  Current political/entertainment/news commentator talking heads spouting talk about re-programming people for their political beliefs need to be called out and held accountable.  This stinks of McCarthyism.

• Like 1

Here's how I look at it as a fan: This sucks. "Cara Dune" was an absolute badass character and written in a way that wasn't forced. She was simply bad ass. 

That out of the way, I can say this: Disney, and any other company, has every right to fire someone for behavior that they think reflects negatively on them as a company. This isn't backlash for one social media post. Carano has a long history of inflammatory posts on Twitter, seemingly reveling in the backlash it caused. Her co-stars were supportive throughout most of it, and to a degree Disney seemed to be ignoring it, despite the backlash on social media. But either because she touched the third rail, or they've had enough of her, she's now paying the price for it. She seems like an intelligent person overall, surely she knew the risk. Then again, maybe she thought she was untouchable. Who knows?

You have freedom of speech. You don't have freedom from repercussions. 

45 minutes ago, Chris said:

Disney, and any other company, has every right to fire someone for behavior that they think reflects negatively on them as a company.

Which is one reason why I won't be subscribing to their streaming service no matter how good some of their new programs look.  

This isn't a single instance of them canning this woman (who I've never heard of). Disney has a growing policy of censoring ideas they don't like. Even to the point of removing their own past content.

I know "my" decision won't have much effect on what is possibly the most influential brands on the planet, but it really disturbs me that their oligarchy spends way too much effort "cleansing" speech and historical facts....while capitulating to and praising the CCP. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

Thinking about it more, you know what’s sad? She actually had the perfect soap box to talk about the demonization and dehumanizing of fellow Americans who have views that differ with our own. 

• Like 1

I do know they were looking at giving her a spin off show, but reports said they told her stop posting stuff like that. I am sure she expected it. You are also right she was a BA.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I do know they were looking at giving her a spin off show, but reports said they told her stop posting stuff like that. I am sure she expected it. 

Yeah this has been going on for months with her. A DJ said it best this afternoon... this is more an example of “consequences culture” than “cancel culture”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah this has been going on for months with her. A DJ said it best this afternoon... this is more an example of “consequences culture” than “cancel culture”.

Not knowing who she is or following her or her social media commentary, I'll have to take your word that her general tone, etc has been "bad" or controversial, as a pattern or whatever.

But honestly, as far as that particular quote......facing "consequences" for relaying historically accurate facts that others don't like is kind of the definition of "cancel culture". 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Not knowing who she is or following her or her social media commentary, I'll have to take your word that her general tone, etc has been "bad" or controversial, as a pattern or whatever.

Did it bother me in any way? Nope. But it was a series of posts with a "trolling the libs" mentality over the course of several months, including anti-vax and "stolen election" type stuff. 

57 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

But honestly, as far as that particular quote......facing "consequences" for relaying historically accurate facts that others don't like is kind of the definition of "cancel culture". 

If it were just one stupid or inflammatory thing she posted, I'd agree. But she most likely was warned by her employer, her co-workers even stood by her, and she still didn't stop. So I'd say it's different.

I definitely think it was stupid ( and appears to have been removed ):

ted-cruz-carano-75.jpg

To be honest, I would say it was a stupid thing to post even if she was doing so in the spirit of trying to bring attention to the dehumanization of anyone who thinks differently, right, left or whatever. Plus it's just a piss poor argument rife with hyperbole. 

I saw it on FB and agree with the original post by Carano, who I know nothing about, not even that she is/was an actress. She was fired because she was not being "politically correct." Since I was a teen, I read extensively on the attitudes of hatred and extermination pre-/during WWII, and both of us had paternal families emigrate to the U.S. from Holland post WWI to seek a better life, their other family and friends going thru it again during WWII.  I own Corrie ten Boom's books, including why she and family were sent to concentration camps for protecting Jews. I have childhood friends whose parents left Holland after WWII, their mother losing a sibling to sniper bullets while trying to flee a war scene. I find what was done in the hate/violence against Jews, or anyone who supported them, back then is not essentially different from the hatred and violence now perpetrated and espoused against opposing views. We are losing our freedom of speech... and thought!  I see it amongst my childhood and high school friends on FB, but have remained friends by no longer speaking up against their hatred of opposing conservative viewpoints like mine...  to my regret at times for not standing up more for my own beliefs.

Edited by Linda Roorda
  • Like 1