TTL News

Chemung County Legislative Redistricting Discussion

Just so people don't have to keep going to the county site to reference the proposed map:

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 10.51.19 AM.png

An extremely short (13 minutes) meeting of the Full Legislature was held last evening.

There was no explanation or discussion of Resolution 22-432, other than Brennan opposing it. Tracking through Novus Agenda, I found that this is an agreement with one of the hired analysts to assist with Public Outreach for the redistricting plan:

image.png.ca662e7292513cfe48b598f6c81aa139.png

From earlier meetings and remarks from the analysts, I sort of expected that this guidance would have been included in the whole Redistricting contract that was commissioned by the Committee....but it's worth noting that the Legislature is making an effort to inform the public on the process.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MsKreed said:

An extremely short (13 minutes) meeting of the Full Legislature was held last evening.

There was no explanation or discussion of Resolution 22-432, other than Brennan opposing it. Tracking through Novus Agenda, I found that this is an agreement with one of the hired analysts to assist with Public Outreach for the redistricting plan:

image.png.ca662e7292513cfe48b598f6c81aa139.png

From earlier meetings and remarks from the analysts, I sort of expected that this guidance would have been included in the whole Redistricting contract that was commissioned by the Committee....but it's worth noting that the Legislature is making an effort to inform the public on the process.

the initiative is supposed to be on the ballot this November correct?

if so, im thinking it would be a poor use of 1500 to 6k unless quality product can be put together AND disseminated in less than 10 weeks

9 hours ago, Adam said:

unless quality product can be put together AND disseminated in less than 10 weeks

Since the proposal was dated 6 weeks ago, I suppose there's a good chance that he began the work at that time and (we can hope) has it ready to commence dissemination now that payment has been approved. 

Executive Moss is indicating on a Facebook Video HERE that the postcards being mailed with a BOE return address may be "illegal".

So far, the link on the country page and the postcards are basically the only "outreach" I've seen from the Legislature.  One would hope that Mr Wice has come up with a more effective material to follow before election day.....or the whole process is a waste of time and money. 

On the other hand......perhaps it will be a moot point if the new legislative session will see a Resolution to slash legislative seats and then proportionate lines for those districts will be drawn for the 2026 election instead of the 15 districts we have now. 

This is in the email I got:

“Last week registered voters throughout Chemung County received a postcard mailing from the Chemung County Board of Elections pertaining to the Chemung County Legislature’s re-districting process. While the Board of Elections mailings that are strictly informational are permissible, this postcard was biased in nature as it is supporting the Chemung County Legislature’s point of view asking you to vote yes for their redistricting proposal. It should also be noted that the web link indicated on the card takes voters directly to the Legislature’s portion of the website as opposed to the entire redistricting site, which stipulates both sides of the redistricting issue.

Unfortunately, the Board of Elections failed to review the content of the postcard with the County Attorney’s Office prior to its mailing. The funding mechanism to mail and print the card are unknown at this time, but it does appear that the process was not transparent as the Chairperson of the Redistricting Committee, Legislator Tom Sweet, used his personal e-mail address (tsweet3@stny.rr.com) to facilitate the request. This is an improper utilization of taxpayers’ money and resources and should and will be thoroughly investigated.

I would ask that all registered voters go to www.chemungcountyny.gov/redistricting to review both sides of the issue so that they can make an informed decision on November 8th or during the early voting process.”

Okay, now here’s a screenshot of the sample postcard in the email:

193D972A-FD99-4138-A2E3-D18C699C1E2A.png
EC986BA8-B86A-44E4-B73C-C74D54F962D9.png

Nowhere on there do I see anything asking voters to “vote yes”. Am I missing it? 

No you are not reading it wrong.  When I got mine (and I was a bit surprised) I read it and re-read it several times.  To me, it was strictly informational.  Admittedly I didn't follow their links at the time.

8 hours ago, KarenK said:

Admittedly I didn't follow their links at the time.

I haven’t bothered to look at the links, but at face value it still doesn’t appear biased. If the legislature is the governing body working on this, where else are they supposed to direct people for more information?

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

I haven’t bothered to look at the links, but at face value it still doesn’t appear biased. If the legislature is the governing body working on this, where else are they supposed to direct people for more information?

Agreed.  Part 2, 332 of the executives pissing match.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

The Charter covers Redistricting (everything related to Legislative districts) squarely under the heading of "Article II LEGISLATIVE BRANCH".  Along with all the data and maps, the link on the card (https://chemungcountyny.gov/974/Redistricting) includes Moss's official Veto letter (that highlights all of his objections).  

The page Moss is trying to send people to includes a link to "his side" of the matter.....a matter that, as I noted, falls entirely under the Legislative Branch in the Charter. The only involvement by the Executive Branch in the Charter is veto power....which the Legislature's link provides unbiased documentation of. 

The link to "his side" County Executive - Veto for Redistricting Law is indeed biased. It goes beyond documenting his official veto duties, and is comprised of a collection of tangential accusations (letters and video) against the Committee and/or its members. 

I rarely read the local paper or catch the news on local TV/radio.....so I'm curious if there's been anything besides the postcards presented in the way of informational public outreach on the part of the Legislature. 

I suspect not......if there has been anything on local news social media, one would think some of the legislators (who voted for it) would share that on their social media.  It's foolish not to attempt to push as hard as Moss is. 

Basic PR/advertising strategy (and plain ol' common sense) would say that a message needs to be presented wherever an opposing message is found.  Whether it's a Hochul v Zeldin advertising on TV and local paper, or a business competitor with radio and pennysaver ads.....the same audience needs to be reached. 

25 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I rarely read the local paper or catch the news on local TV/radio.....so I'm curious if there's been anything besides the postcards presented in the way of informational public outreach on the part of the Legislature. 

I browse the local news, at least the headlines, and can't recall seeing anything about it. 

3 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I suspect not......if there has been anything on local news social media, one would think some of the legislators (who voted for it) would share that on their social media.  It's foolish not to attempt to push as hard as Moss is. 

Basic PR/advertising strategy (and plain ol' common sense) would say that a message needs to be presented wherever an opposing message is found.  Whether it's a Hochul v Zeldin advertising on TV and local paper, or a business competitor with radio and pennysaver ads.....the same audience needs to be reached. 

News junky here and have not seen a thing. Have a couple friends who posted the postcards and did their own research. 

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I browse the local news, at least the headlines, and can't recall seeing anything about it. 

45 minutes ago, KarenK said:

News junky here and have not seen a thing. Have a couple friends who posted the postcards and did their own research. 

I sort of figured the postcards were it so far. 

Perhaps the analyst hired to assist recommended a last minute push so it's fresh on everyone's minds when they vote??

12 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I sort of figured the postcards were it so far. 

Perhaps the analyst hired to assist recommended a last minute push so it's fresh on everyone's minds when they vote??

A good idea actually.

What is this "independent" commission that Mr Moss keeps seeking?  Seems they followed the rules when they did this so I don't get his pushback.  

The things I have read that he is pushing back on such as ethnicity of the districts really are not relevant at all.

Sooooo.... we're being asked to vote "no" on this so it's back to the drawing board and all that time and money wasted?

I don't think so. 

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Sooooo.... we're being asked to vote "no" on this so it's back to the drawing board and all that time and money wasted?

The SUNY analysts & GIS study was budgeted 'not to exceed' $48k.......but according to this mathematical genius, starting fresh costs nothing:

image.png.feb9ef29be2502dfe5c37a9e25ccc02d.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MsKreed said:

The SUNY analysts & GIS study was budgeted 'not to exceed' $48k.......but according to this mathematical genius, starting fresh costs nothing:

image.png.feb9ef29be2502dfe5c37a9e25ccc02d.png

keep in mind, to him 15k(annual Legislative salary) is a "paltry sum"

so repeating the process really is harmless

of course theres at least one person on his slate that would have to run in a different district if this plan gets approved

id remind him of such things if he wasnt so afraid of free speech and block those that dont echo his nonsense

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 9.24.37 AM.png

For those who haven't figured it out, "Let's get it right" translates to "Let's do it the way I want it done." If it was done so incorrectly, why is Joey here the lone dissenting vote out of 15? Because the other 14 are wrong, or because he's sad he'll be losing some voters (which, at least one other legislator would as well). 

I'll be voting "yes".

• Like 3