Sign in to follow this  
Twin Tiers Living

Boy Scouts Of America Changes Name To "Scouting America"

After 114 years of being known as the Boy Scouts of America, the nation’s largest scouting organization is changing its name to the more inclusive Scouting America.

The major rebrand, announced Tuesday, comes after years of turmoil for the organization, as well as major changes meant to stem the tide of declining membership. The new Scouting America name is also a reflection of the organization’s biggest change: the decision five years ago to welcome girls into its ranks at all levels. 

Visitors to the Boy Scouts of America website Tuesday were greeted by a pop-up message explaining that the forthcoming name change was made to be more welcoming of the entire scouting community and would take effect Feb. 8, 2025.

Read more.

While not unexpected, this is comeplete BS and the BSA has pretty much lost my support. 

The rank of Eagle Scout was once something difficult to acheieve. When I got mine in 1990, it was like 1 out of every 200 Scouts would make it that far. 

Then they allowed girls in 2019. According to another recent article, merely two years later, in 2021, 1,000 girls got Eagle. Notice I didn't say "earned", because I'm pretty sure I know what happened: They were fast tracked through, some perhaps in a race to be "first" or were stacking up the requirements before their joining was allowed and then fast tracked that way. 

For the record, I also think it's bullshit when I see boys getting it in 2-3 years as well. The kid isn't learning, and certainly isn't absorbing the knowledge they are supposed to gain. They're ticking off boxes as fast as they can to get through it and be done. 

Aside from all of that, I also think that it's beneficial to an adolescent's health to have activities away from the opposite sex. Hell, I think it's healthy for adults! Injecting both sexes into activities for kids that are already hopped up on hormones isn't a good idea and is a distraction for both. 

• Like 2

When the boys get it in 2-3 years it is usually the parents pushing them through and the boys don't really enjoy the experience. They only take a MB course if it's an eagle required one. Most also no longer continue once they have the eagle. When they can continue to get more MB and get extra awards. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:01 AM, Kevin said:

When the boys get it in 2-3 years it is usually the parents pushing them through and the boys don't really enjoy the experience. They only take a MB course if it's an eagle required one. Most also no longer continue once they have the eagle. When they can continue to get more MB and get extra awards. 

You are 100% correct I lost track of the kids whose parents just pushed them through the program. My son enjoyed his time in Cub scouts and Boy scouts towards the end it was rough for some reason he was targeted by his scout master thankfully people like Gerry and Lisa Edger and Michelle Armstrong were involved and helped him make it through

• Like 4

On 5/16/2024 at 3:16 PM, Zapp Brannigan said:

You are 100% correct I lost track of the kids whose parents just pushed them through the program.

Yeah, and for the record, I don't mean to imply that it's a thing that happens only since girls were allowed into the organization. It's gone on for years. Those boys don't learn, or at least don't retain, a damned thing as they fly through the requirements. 

My problem ( well, one of many ) is there was instantly a push to be "the first." There's no way in hell that happened organically nor legitimately. Case in point:

Junior Isabella Tunney: the first female Eagle Scout. Yes, that’s right. She’s the first female to become an Eagle Scout. The Boy Scouts of America announced an inaugural class of female Eagle Scouts rather than an individual, and this class consists of women who earned their Eagle Scout merit from Oct. 1-30. Since Tunney earned her Eagle Scout merit on October 1, she is among the very first women to earn hers.

I joined the Boy Scouts of America on Feb. 1st, 2019; [it was] the first day girls were allowed to join,” Tunney said.

Tunney is the founder of her very own troop, #5384.

As a scout, Tunny has earned all 137 merit badges.

Tunny added, “Over the course of the past year and a half...

Source

I added the bold for emphasis to make my point. 

I absolutely refuse to recognize this kid's "accomplishments." She didn't earn it. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 3:16 PM, Zapp Brannigan said:

You are 100% correct I lost track of the kids whose parents just pushed them through the program. My son enjoyed his time in Cub scouts and Boy scouts towards the end it was rough for some reason he was targeted by his scout master thankfully people like Gerry and Lisa Edger and Michelle Armstrong were involved and helped him make it through

I love Michelle, She is a dear friend.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:19 AM, Chris said:

Yeah, and for the record, I don't mean to imply that it's a thing that happens only since girls were allowed into the organization. It's gone on for years. Those boys don't learn, or at least don't retain, a damned thing as they fly through the requirements. 

My problem ( well, one of many ) is there was instantly a push to be "the first." There's no way in hell that happened organically nor legitimately. Case in point:

Source

I added the bold for emphasis to make my point. 

I absolutely refuse to recognize this kid's "accomplishments." She didn't earn it. 

They changed the requirements then. No way you can complete all 137 merit badges in 18 months and from first class in you have a waiting period between ranks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

No way you can complete all 137 merit badges in 18 months and from first class in you have a waiting period between ranks

Exactly! And even if you could, what could you possibly have actually learned while racing through the requirements?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Chris said:

Exactly! And even if you could, what could you possibly have actually learned while racing through the requirements?

How to be the first.

• Like 2