Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Firefighters Booed NY Attorney General Who Sued Trump For Fraud. Officials Are Investigating

NEW YORK (AP) — A union representing New York City firefighters is raising concerns about possible disciplinary action against its members after state Attorney General Letitia James was booed and a pro-Donald Trump chant broke out during a fire department ceremony last week.

The Democrat, whose office won a $355 million penalty against the Republican former president for lying about his wealth last month, faced a chorus of jeers as she addressed a department promotions ceremony Thursday in Brooklyn.

“Come on. We’re in a house of God,” James responded as some in the crowd at the Christian Cultural Center also aggressively chanted Trump’s name. “Simmer down.”

Fire officials, in an internal note shared widely on social media, called the conduct “grossly inappropriate” and disrespectful to fellow firefighters and their supporters attending the special occasion.

Department members have a right to express their political beliefs, the note stressed, just not on the job.

Read the rest here.

What do you think? Were they out of line or within their constitutional rights to free speech?

Were they out of line?  Depends on whose line.  They were adults and voiced their anger and frustration at an individual who may be surprised to learn she is not this State’s savior and not every one agrees with her.

• Like 1

I don’t give a rats ass who they boo ( as much as that person deserves it ) but the fact that the Officials stated they would “Hunt down “ the hecklers … that chaps my ass Big Time ! 
Can’t stand the heat you have created with a vendetta using your Office / title ? Maybe you should stay out of the kitchen! 

• Like 2

Sometimes when it comes to stuff like this I have to take a step back and think of the big picture.

Would I consider that kind of behavior to be out of line? Considering it was in a church service, yes, I do actually. Although in fairness, I don’t know what was said to spark the booing, so maybe the AG made it political. In which case, she would have been out of line as well.

All that said, they do have the right to voice their opinions, and they did. But that the 1st Amendment doesn’t protect them from consequences by their employer is valid point I’d say. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chris said:

Would I consider that kind of behavior to be out of line? Considering it was in a church service, yes, I do actually. Although in fairness, I don’t know what was said to spark the booing, so maybe the AG made it political. In which case, she would have been out of line as well.

I tend to agree, if they were reacting to something she said that was political, then their response is a fair part of an exchange that she initiated. 

If they wanted to simply make a 'statement' of disapproval for a politician, then I'd say a silent statement (turning away, taking a knee, etc) would have been more appropriate in a church.  However, I don't think disciplinary action is warranted. I think it would be sufficient to communicate that it's inappropriate and won't be tolerated in the future.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

All that said, they do have the right to voice their opinions, and they did. But that the 1st Amendment doesn’t protect them from consequences by their employer is valid point I’d say. 

I agree, with some stipulations.  Like prior guidance in the form of some written "code of conduct" that clearly outlines when and where what behavior is unacceptable. 

Remember....the very fact that a public agency employs chaplains, and is holding their promotion ceremony, in a church sort of makes a blurry line for First Amendment questions. 

• Like 1

The Union president seems to have some very fair points, regarding management's lack of a consistency:

Andrew Ansbro, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association that represents roughly 8,500 active firefighters, said the taunts were “unfortunate” given James has been a strong supporter of firefighters over the years.

But he argued that promotion ceremonies tend to have a “carnival atmosphere,” with people sounding air horns and sometimes wearing costumes.

FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanaugh was even booed at one last year, and there was “no hunt, no calls for re-education” from the department, Ansbro said.

“We are concerned that all of our members are going to be disciplined over this,” he said, noting that top officials present Thursday never intervened during the heckling.

“The department really needs to sit down and decide what the guidelines are going to be and bring the unions into that so that we can make sure our workers rights are protected,” Ansbro said.

If heckling has been previously been acceptable, then why is it a problem here?  Did last year's example take place at a non-church venue? If so, then they need clarification as to "where" it's acceptable - not disciplinary action. 

If the difference is simply that Latitia holds some superior/protected status above that of the Commissioner....then that is what's political. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Considering it was in a church service,

story doesnt indicate it was a Church service but was a swearing in for a Chaplain. in that case i say regardless of political ideology, it is fair game to express opinion since often times the "proper" forums for such are tightly restricted and tilted in favor of public officials.

If it were a church service and James being a politician, i feel mixed. as churches have protection from property taxes and other such penalties we are subject to, they should be off limits to anything remotely smelling of stumping or politics, in that same vein; watching the video, shes walking up to the podium when it starts; i would say they are wrong for bringing politics into a church venue...though i cannot find transcript of what she said in her speech.

"But don’t do it on the job’s time, on other members’ time, or on their families’ time. Do it on your own time.” well that severely limits the definition of "their own time" if they are off the clock then by all means why should they be impeded by other's time or other families' time?

• Like 1

Perhaps had she not been so condescending , “ now … simmer down , simmer down “ while gesturing with her arms . And “we are in a Church of God “ and “ get it out of your systems “ . Maybe she could have just waited silently until they Did “ get it out of their systems “ !  Was it rude on the Firefighters side of the thing , yes , from the swagger to the podium was she prepared for any heckling … yes , I believe so as it was fairly obvious . 
Now , from the Union side … To have the audacity to make it known to your Firefighters Union Membership  that you would be “hunting down “ the hecklers Really …. As a long time Union representative ,with a good record of success's , I would have had a good case and a good conscious writing a grievance and going to arbitration as the actions , although rude , did not rise to any of the Seven levels of Just Cause .