A spot for items of conversational interest that don't require a whole thread of their own. Though if it looks like they do, we'll split it off as needed. 

I get a lot of stuff like this on my Facebook feed, one of the few reasons I still have an account. Pretty interesting:

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 7.22.16 AM.png

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 9.55.30 AM.png

A team of scientists has uncovered a complete fossil of an aquatic reptile that resembles a "Chinese dragon" because of its snake-like appearance and elongated neck.

The fossil of the Dinocephalosaurus orientalis dates back 240 million years to the Triassic period and was found in the Guizhou Province of southern China.

While the reptile was first identified in 2003, this latest discovery is more complete — about 16 feet long — and allowed the scientists to depict the strange, prehistoric creature in full for the first time.

Source

• Like 1

That glass of wine next to him  😂

• Haha 1

You know, I've been thinking a lot about something a friend of mine said a couple years ago. She's a mental health counselor, and we were talking about all the craziness going on in the world, how it affects us. And she said something that is so damned true: Our brains are not wired to take in this amount of information, particualrly when it comes to news. 

Think about it, 100-150 years ago, I wouldn't know what was going on in Elmira, a mere 6-7 miles away, for at least a day or two. And that would be on a fast news cycle! Something happening in Israel, Haiti, Ukraine, etc? We wouldn't hear about those places for months, if at all. Out main worries would be what's the weather here, what's the work that needs to be done here, and so on. No talking heads telling us their opinion, no social media feeds slanted one way or the other to skew our perspective, no random strangers chiming in about whatever controversy of the day...just, "Is it going to rain or not so I can get the hay cut"

We don't need to know all this shit going on in the world around it. It's not healthy for us to, especially the constant barrage of information.

• Like 1

I remember seeing this in junior high ( I think ) and it impresses me still:

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

IMG_6281.jpeg

I remember watching a movie about African female warriors but can’t remember the title.  It was a very good movie set roughly in this same time period.  I wonder if it was based on these warriors.   

6 hours ago, Ann said:

I remember watching a movie about African female warriors but can’t remember the title.  It was a very good movie set roughly in this same time period.  I wonder if it was based on these warriors.   

i think it was "The Woman King" or something of that nature. i watched it and it was a good one

• Like 1

The Shroud of Turin is woven flax, made by a professional-quality weaver, which was likely only to have been owned by a wealthy man (e.g., Joseph of Arimathea).

The flax fibers are traceable to the Eastern Mediterranean or the Middle East. The stitching is identical to an artifact found at Masada in Israel, dated between 40 BC and AD 73. And the cloth has been otherwise dated to between 300 BC and 300 AD.

Chemical and biological testing proves that there are blood stains on the Shroud, of blood type AB and antigen group MNS.

Moreover, there are no paint pigments of any kind on the Shroud—eliminating the possibility that the Shroud is some sort of supremely clever artistic forgery.

The Shroud bears the image of a grown male, five feet eleven inches tall, with shoulder length hair and a beard—a man who had suffered crucifixion in the Roman fashion.

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 9.16.41 AM.png

• Like 2

I just saw this:

IMG_6335.jpeg

Maybe if you didn’t smoke you’d have more money?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Maybe if you didn’t smoke you’d have more money?

I tell my son this allllll the time when he's crying poverty

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KarenK said:

I tell my son this allllll the time when he's crying poverty

Seriously, how in the hell can anyone afford it. Nevermind someone who isn't working at all!

( Nevermind, I know the answer. )

I saw this on Twitter ( I think ) recently, labeled"Brutal Truth about NY" or some such thing:

IMG_6356.jpeg

• Haha 2