TTL News

Arnot Mall Chat

3 hours ago, Chris said:

I see a lot of talk on social media about Journeys closing. 

I believe it was on the news as well.  I don't remember which one but they indicated they would be closing at the end of the month because the rent increase was not sustainable.

I spent way too much time last night reminiscing about all the stores that used to be in the mall. Some that I came up with were:

• B. Dalton Books 
  • Walden Books
  • Your Father's Mustache
  • Hickory Farms
  • Oriental Gifts
  • Rubins
  • Joanne Fabric
  • KB Toys
  • CVS 
  • Sam Goody
  • Endicott Johnson Shoes

What others?

( Here's some pics to jog your memory. And mine. I forgot about Fanny Farmers! )

29 minutes ago, Chris said:

I spent way too much time last night reminiscing about all the stores that used to be in the mall. Some that I came up with were:

• B. Dalton Books 
  • Walden Books
  • Your Father's Mustache
  • Hickory Farms
  • Oriental Gifts
  • Rubins
  • Joanne Fabric
  • KB Toys
  • CVS 
  • Sam Goody
  • Endicott Johnson Shoes

What others?

( Here's some pics to jog your memory. And mine. I forgot about Fanny Farmers! )

McCrorys, Swiss Colony, Great American, Stuarts, Kinney Shoes, Bradlees, Flaming Pit and then Maxwells, Record Town.

I think there was a Panosians, Izards, Rosenbaum, Parklane Hosiery.

2 minutes ago, KarenK said:

McCrorys, Swiss Colony, Great American, Stuarts, Kinney Shoes, Bradlees, Flaming Pit and then Maxwells, Record Town.

I think there was a Panosians, Izards, Rosenbaum, Parklane Hosiery.

Yep, there was. 

I forgot Great American was there at one time. A couple, like Kinney Shoes, I remember but didn't want to hog all the memories 😁

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yep, there was. 

I forgot Great American was there at one time. A couple, like Kinney Shoes, I remember but didn't want to hog all the memories 😁

I worked at quite a few of them starting at McCrorys when I was 16.

I was up at the mall yesterday, and a couple thoughts occurred to me:

1. Even with the later opening hours ( 11am ) there were several stores with the gates down well after. One store pulled the gates up around noon. 
  2. I see they have an airsoft rifle range, tomahawk throwing, etc place open now. That was interesting to see. 
  3. Most of the remaining stores are national chains, very few smaller or locally based shops. 

That last point has me wondering if in fact the Arnot Mall hasn't simply priced themselves out of range for all but the largest corporations to be able to afford to be there? Lower the rent, have more "experience based" things available, and perhaps it'd be one of those, "if you re-build it, they will come" things. Because I believe, even more so now, it isn't necessarily the decline of the shopping mall model that's killing it, but that they're pricing themselves right out of business. 

• Like 1

I think that Ax throwing place opened last summer or thereabouts.  I know there is a pickle ball place too.  I'm currently aware of 2 other places in process of opening that are locally owned. 

They have been going after the big guys for rent and then offering reduced rents for locals and small places which is the reason why Mooneys decided to bail.  They wouldn't negotiate price and there is non stop maintenance issues.

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

I think that Ax throwing place opened last summer or thereabouts.

That just goes to show how long it's been since I stopped into the mall!

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

They wouldn't negotiate price and there is non stop maintenance issues.

That was an issue when I was working there as well. It's unbelievable. 

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I see they have an airsoft rifle range, tomahawk throwing, etc place open now. That was interesting to see. 

expensive as hell, i think we took aiden and neighbor girl a while back...did the airsoft. one mag each for 3 was 60 dollars, maybe bit more