TTL News

County Executive Releases Proposed 2024 Budget

The Chemung County Executive has released the 2024 proposed operating budget and capital plan which calls for a 2.8% property tax increase. 

To view the proposed budget in its entirety, members of the public can visit the link below:

Click here to view the proposed budget

A tutorial for the software used to present the budget was also included, and can be found here.

23 hours ago, Elmira Telegram said:

calls for a 2.8% property tax increase.

good thing here in Town of Baldwin, ours haven't increased over last four years.....🙄

(I know off topic)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Adam said:

good thing here in Town of Baldwin, ours haven't increased over last four years.....🙄

(I know off topic)

Technically not off topic.  Didn’t the Supervisor say the property tax increase was because the County raised property taxes, not the Town. 

6 hours ago, Ann said:

Technically not off topic.  Didn’t the Supervisor say the property tax increase was because the County raised property taxes, not the Town. 

oh, no that was LAST year's tax increase that he lied about. THIS year's was even noted in October minutes by the bookeeper....apparently his mind wanders during the meetings or he again is lying about the " no increases during his tenure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

oh, no that was LAST year's tax increase that he lied about. THIS year's was even noted in October minutes by the bookeeper....apparently his mind wanders during the meetings or he again is lying about the " no increases during his tenure

Welp, continuously not increasing taxes without another source of reliable income will turn around and bite you in the butt.

3 hours ago, KarenK said:

Welp, continuously not increasing taxes without another source of reliable income will turn around and bite you in the butt.

something you and i realize, the issue being: part of his "campaign" was a claim that taxes have not increased during his time in office when, in fact, they have. so either hes too stupid to understand how property/town taxes and finances work, or, hes just plain out a liar

along with those increases was no real lead in attempting to deep dive on the budget to look for savings, in fact, 3-5% pay raises have been annual tradition for highway dpt, last year the clerk got a raise( none for at least last decade though) and this year the codes guy who does not do his job, got a raise....i guess for someone who only pays 20% taxes/fire district, its easy to just assume the money drops from the sky

county budget: i think moss is right to put in the 2.8% increase exactly because of concerns in the preceding posts. you need to keep pace with expenses and inflation. sure no increases look good for campaigning but what does not, is a sudden 14% or so increase, like Mr. Richter had to do in Chemung not that long ago for that very reason. i found it funny that he spoke about that 2.8% basically not really doing much...well it wont be compounded into future increases should they or larger ones be needed. beyond that, havent done any deep diving into proposed spending