TTL News

Police Investigate Stabbing At Local School Sporting Event

ELMIRA – Police are investigating an incident that happened last night during a high school football game in the City of Elmira. 

According to the Chemung County Sheriff’s Department, at around 8:40 pm deputies responded to a report of a physical altercation between two females in the parking lot of Elmira High School during a varsity football game between Elmira and Corning High schools.

Two deputies assigned to the game as well as school administrators responded to the scene immediately. 

The investigation revealed that during the altercation, a seventeen year-old female and student at Corning High School had stabbed an eighteen year-old female who is described as a former student at Elmira High School. 

According to police, neither of the two had been in the stadium watching the game prior to the incident. The seventeen year-old fled the area before deputies arrived in the parking lot, and police say it is unknown what led up to the incident at this time. 

The victim was taken by ambulance to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre where she was admitted with serious, but not life-threatening, injuries. 

In a notice sent to families in the district, Superintendent Hilary Austin advised the public about what happened. She noted that the game was able to continue and both players from both teams as well as their families were able to leave safely. 

The Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division is working closely with both school districts and is asking the public to contact their office (607-737-2933) if they have any other information or details that will assist them with their investigation. 

Elmira Fire Department as well as Elmira Police Department assisted at the scene.

Source

Seems to be a lot of "girl fights" lately.  The one down in the Square last weekend was apparently a girl fight too.  Probably arguing over something stupid like "why you looking at my man?"  

5 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Seems to be a lot of "girl fights" lately.

Oh it's nothing new, believe me. You're just starting to hear about it more. 

Is it bad that I have a feeling if this was a Elmira High School student people would be climbing up a wall making every negative comment possible. Since it's Corning, its a "Well that's sad." 

On FB, I’d imagine you’re probably right about more negativity for Elmira than Corning.

Here, most people look at stuff in more nuanced ways.....like Karen’s point that we’re seeing more stories about violence among young women.

As for me, which school isn’t as noteworthy as the overall trend of rising youth violence and lack of civility....(humanity, respect for human life?).

And the fact that all school systems have a problem with criminal behavior that is ignored and proactively concealed from the public eye. It really shouldn’t surprise me that, as some of these students reach adulthood, we are seeing them commit crimes outside the school hallways.

Whether it’s drugs or theft, or the endless list of assaults and batteries that quietly get swept under a rug called “bullying” (that school administrators hardly acknowledge, even when they’re streamed on social media).  I can't recall hearing about any SRO in the area making an actual arrest since Jeremy Getman in 2001. 

• Like 1

I think most would agree there has been a trend among the entire U.S. population that people are more aggressive, less vivil, etc. over the past several years. ( And I only see it growing worse, to be honest. ) So why should we be surprised when it trickles down to the youth of this country? 

Our society not only rewards this behavior, we seem to celebrate and encourage it anymore. You want your 15 minutes of fame, simply be an asshole to someone on camera. There are lots of people who, instead of finding this behavior abhorrent, enjoy watching and think it's funny. 

Yeah, really frickin funny until someone gets seriously injured or killed, perhaps in one of our schools. 

And that day is coming my friends. 

53 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I can't recall hearing about any SRO in the area making an actual arrest since Jeremy Getman in 2001. 

Speaking of close calls... I'm not the praying type, but sitting in an ambulance a short distance away, I was that day.

The thing that pissed me off afterwards was when the administrator at that time  ( not Hillary ) was on NBC Dateline saying things like, "We tried to help him, etc." and all I could think was "Lady, you didn't know he existed until that day."

The difference between then and now is, they know the problem exists. And even if the current administrators didn't, how can anyone on the school board have not heard anything about this by now. Has the school board demanded any sort of answers?