TTL News

McConnell's Frozen Moment Renews Questions About America's Aged Leaders

CNN — It was an excruciating moment of powerlessness for one of Washington’s most powerful men.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s words dried up and he froze, standing silent and staring straight ahead for around 30 painful seconds in the middle of a press conference Wednesday – the second time he had endured such an uncomfortable on-camera ordeal since July. It is not clear whether it has happened more times away from the public’s gaze. But for a proud senator who has dominated the chamber for many years, the momentary loss of lucidity is embarrassing at the very least, and could become an increasing political problem. 

The 81-year-old Kentucky Republican was able to resume his remarks, haltingly answering a question on the commonwealth’s gubernatorial race, and later attended a fundraiser for a Senate candidate. But his misfortune immediately revived questions about his health and age – especially since he suffered a concussion in a fall earlier this year. His office insisted Wednesday that the veteran senator had simply been feeling “momentarily lightheaded.”

More broadly, Wednesday’s events threw the spotlight back onto one of the defining trends in today’s US politics: the senior citizens who have no intention of leaving posts atop the US government, including 80-year-old President Joe Biden, and one former president who wants power back – 77-year-old Donald Trump. Also in the Senate, California’s Dianne Feinstein, 90, has been ill and displayed apparent cognitive decline in public in recent months.

Read more here.

What do you think? Should there be an upper age limit for those in elected office?

4 minutes ago, Elmira Telegram said:

Read more here.

What do you think? Should there be an upper age limit for those in elected office?

There is a minimum age limit to run for President I don’t see why there shouldn’t be an age limit where you can’t run for political office.  

• Like 1

Seeing these people bumbling and fumbling around, or missing long periods of legislative business, it's definitely concerning. One need only look at the likes of Joe Biden, Chuck Grassley, and of course, Mitch for proof. 

I'm sure any legislation putting an age cap on this would be met with great resistance, perhaps even cries of "age discrimination". But as mentioned, there's a minimum age, which is also arguable age discrimination. 

I won't laugh at someone else's misfortune, no matter how despicable I find them. But apparently "Glitch McConnell" was trending, and I have to confess, I snorted. 

It was very uncomfortable to watch that's for sure.  

I think max age should be considered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elmira Telegram said:

It is not clear whether it has happened more times away from the public’s gaze.

This is what bothers me more than anything.....

For all the public incidents we have seen with all three (McConnell, Feinstein and Biden), one has to assume there are many more happening that aren't reported.

Then again, you have slack jawed mouth breathers hoping to take Mitch’s place:

IMG_5488.jpeg

Kettle, meet the pot.