TTL News

Chemung County Legislature Meetings Reopen To The Public

According to a Facebook post by 15th District Legislator Rodney J. Strange, Chemung County Legislature meetings will reopen to the public beginning February 7th. 

Attendees will be required to wear a mask. 

Oh good, now we'll get yet another clown show when someone refuses to wear one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Oh good, now we'll get yet another clown show when someone refuses to wear one. 

Yep, and that's one less campaign promise for the new guys too.  Now they just have to fight the mask.

The other item too, that's not to be forgotten, Chairman Manchester said that they were working on an accomodation to the video system, that would allow citizens to provide a video public comment.  Maybe some people are still not comfortable going to a meeting, but would like to provide a video comment?  Are any legislators shepherding that add on for public service?

How much time is allotted for a person to address the legislature? 

I ask because the last one I watched, it seemed to me that the letters written in were needlessly long and drawn out. I actually tapped out because I couldn't see a point anyone was trying to make other than reminding the legislators "who they work for" and the usual talk about "constitutional freedom". 

The last thing we or the legislature needs is to have to sit through several poorly produced videos, complete with patriotic music and flags waving, that drone on for 10+ minutes. 

At this point, you have two options: Attend the meetings with a mask on or write a letter/ email. That's sufficient in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Jack said:

The bozo is already taking credit for this change. 

Of course he is. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Of course he is. 

It’s a “Joe” thing ! 

3 hours ago, Chris said:

How much time is allotted for a person to address the legislature? 

Five minutes has been the policy as long as I've known. 

3 hours ago, Chris said:

The last thing we or the legislature needs is to have to sit through several poorly produced videos, complete with patriotic music and flags waving, that drone on for 10+ minutes. 

Yeah...that could be a downside

3 hours ago, Chris said:

At this point, you have two options: Attend the meetings with a mask on or write a letter/ email. That's sufficient in my opinion. 

I could live without video, but the email submissions were only implemented when the gallery closed, and no clear statement's been made to say they will continue. I think written comments should be a permanent policy.....even without concerns of unmasked crowds. 

There are numerous residents whose circumstances don't allow them to carve out a Monday night visit downtown, and still deserve the right to pose comments to their elected officials. From elderly without transportation.....to Corrections staff stationed outside the area......to every LEO, retail/food service, factory or hospital employee working evenings.  

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Give me a week of this. My life needs it. 

Is Hulk Hogan on Cameo because I have an idea. 

Edited by Jack
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jack said:

Is Hulk Hogan on Cameo because I have an idea. 

If you’re thinking what I’m now thinking, we could sell tickets.

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding video public comments, I don't believe it would be submission of produced videos, but enabling functionality that would allow citizens to appear on screen and their public comments would be exhibited.  I'm mentioning it because Chairman Manchester brought it up and it requires an explanation to the public of the status.  Letting it go without proper explanation by the Chairman is not acceptable.