TTL News

Conservatives Go To Red States And Liberals Go To Blue As The Country Grows More Polarized

The split has sent states careening to the political left or right, adopting diametrically opposed laws on some of the hottest issues of the day. In Idaho, abortion is illegal once a heartbeat can be detected in a fetus — as early as five or six weeks — and a new law passed this year makes it a crime to help a minor travel out of state to obtain one. In Colorado, state law prevents any restrictions on abortion. In Idaho, a new law prevents minors from accessing gender-affirming care, while Colorado allows youths to come from other states to access the procedures.

Federalism — allowing each state to chart its own course within boundaries set by Congress and the Constitution — is at the core of the U.S. system. It lets the states, in the words of former Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, be “laboratories of democracy.”

Now, some wonder whether that’s driving Americans apart.

“Does that work as well in a time when we are so politically divided, or does it just become an accelerant for people who want to re-segregate?” asked Rob Witwer, a former Republican Colorado state lawmaker.

Read more here.

What are your thoughts? Is the country becoming more polarized or has it only just begun?

It does seem that people are moving to states that follow their political ideology.  Personally I think it's really always been that way, only just more obvious now because of multiple media outlets.

It will change though.  Once upon a time NY had a republican governor and leaned red.  

Sometimes people leave liberal leaning States to go to conservative leaning States.  The problem is they sometimes  forget to leave liberal voting habits behind.

The divide was media manufactured as early as the Clinton administration and the advent of the conservative/ neo-con commentary from Rush Limbaugh. It picked up speed from there, but I think it wasn’t until social media came along that it really got ugly. And nothing was uglier than the four years of the Trump administration followed by the 2020 election.

Part of me thinks we haven’t seen the worst yet. There’s several things festering under the national skin, and it’s only a matter of time.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:22 PM, Ann said:

Sometimes people leave liberal leaning States to go to conservative leaning States.  The problem is they sometimes  forget to leave liberal voting habits behind.

image.png.e73048ea978b946f86c7b112fa7994f6.png

• Like 2

Can't blame people. I'm not even conservative or believe in political ideology but I know NY blows as a state. It's dead. Like California and all these big boys. While NY has rural its still overpopulated. I wanna give to one of them "fly over" states which have a lot of land but not an overpopulated population.