TTL News

NY Climate Action Council Wants To Reduce "Upstate Wood Smoke"

ALBANY - The council working on the beginning stages of a plan to dramatically reduce greenhouse gases in the state is looking into how reducing wood smoke could benefit the health of upstate New Yorkers.

The 22-member Climate Action Council is in the midst of a year-long study of how to achieve the goals of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA), an ambitious law passed in 2019 mandating the state reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent when compared to 1990 levels by 2030 and achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

During the October council meeting, New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) Director of Energy and Environmental Analysis Carl Mas made a presentation predicting reducing wood smoke by 40 percent upstate could reduce non-fatal heart attacks, asthma-related hospital visits and deaths significantly.

Wood smoke upstate comes from home heating methods, such as wood stoves, pellet stoves and fireplaces, as well as campfires and industrial production.

The council is looking at two scenarios for decreasing greenhouse gases, one of which includes the use of biofuels and green hydrogen. The second scenario envisions transitioning to renewables without biofuels. Both call for reducing wood consumption by 40 percent “relative to business as usual” by 2050, according to NYSERDA.

See the rest here.

9 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I'm sorry, but really?

I know, right?

Part of me thinks, "Whew, got out just in time." The other part of me ( the cranky sick guy ) says, "I will burn down our entire f--king hillside if they pass this."

• Haha 1

The council has not released its recommendations on how to reduce wood smoke upstate, but the task appears challenging, as wood, unlike other fuels, can be gotten for free by just foraging for it.

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the headline. Unless they plan to criminalize self-sufficiency, it will be tough to deter a lot of rural residents.

They make firewood sound like people up here are roaming the countryside picking it up like empty beer cans along the road.

What would be good for upstate New Yorkers would be for Albany and that region to mind their own damn business and leave us to hell alone !! 
They have some misbegotten notion that we give a rats ass what they think ! 
Yes i burn wood it heats two houses , even supplies hot water for one house . It’s economical for us … has been for many years and will continue to be our source of heat till I’m worm shite 😡 

Besides in the words of a local total idiot … I live in the country so I can do what i want on my property! 

To me, this just sounds like a knee-jerk, feel-good line of baloney being shoved out because it echoes a popular narrative......pretty much the same as we get from any other "study" commissioned by a "council" that believes they know best.

43 minutes ago, Hal said:

Yes i burn wood it heats two houses , even supplies hot water for one house . It’s economical for us … has been for many years and will continue to be our source of heat till I’m worm shite 😡 

In addition to being perfectly reasonable and economical..... according to other experts (commissioned for another study by a different council), your choice is greener than some other options:

New York isn’t the only state to set climate goals. Vermont released its draft Climate Action Plan in November, which has similar goals to New York’s but different methods. Notably, Vermont’s plan actually endorses burning wood as a way of cutting emissions.

“Efficient wood heat – whether with efficient stoves or automated boilers and furnaces – both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and can save consumers money compared to fossil heat,” according to the plan.

Vermont’s plan endorses switching “from fossil-fuel dependent heating systems to cleaner and more efficient systems” including efficient wood stoves and heat pumps.

• Like 1

I just found this:

“A DEC spokesperson confirms to NewsChannel 9, New York State is not considering passing legislation that would prohibit anyone to burn wood or wood products in 2022 at this time.

However, the state’s Climate Action Council (CAC) is researching ways to limit greenhouse gas emissions and achieve the goals of The Climate Act proposed by former President Barack Obama. 

The draft of the CAC’s “Scoping Plan” does not contain any specific recommendations directly related to wood burning, but conversations are in the works about putting New York State on a path to an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.”

I know I read something a few years ago where they were trying to completely outlaw those outside wood stoves/boilers that people used to heat their homes.  Apparently that never happened or at least not around here.  I have 2 neighbors with them and I'm not going to lie, they really stink when the wind is blowing our way and my whole house will smell of wood smoke.

I did move out here with the realization that I lived in the country.

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

I know I read something a few years ago where they were trying to completely outlaw those outside wood stoves/boilers that people used to heat their homes.  Apparently that never happened or at least not around here.  I have 2 neighbors with them and I'm not going to lie, they really stink when the wind is blowing our way and my whole house will smell of wood smoke.

I remember that being mentioned at least a decade ago. I recall a discussion about it on iElmira where someone on there thought they should be banned for the amount of smoke they produce. But it's a clean smoke, if the boiler is designed well. Many manufacturers design them to burn off the particulates in the smoke before sending it up the stack. Of course when you're in an area where people live closer together, that's little comfort I'm sure. 

2 hours ago, KarenK said:

Some folks find them handy to burn all manner of garbage mistakenly thinking its not bad for the equipment, environment and the neighbors . That is one of the reasons the powers that be were trying to ban them . 
Now , my opinion is they should be starting with emissions from factories that buy and sell the so called “ carbon credits “ from one another which allows for factory “ A “ to pump particulates over what their permits allow by purchasing factory “Bs” unused credits ! Yeah this is a real thing used by one local factory since the program’s inception even to the point of giving them bragging rights about their bargaining prowess with other factories . 
No , the Albany crew and their “ experts “ need to look more toward the Hudson Vally and Rotten Apple than Upstate to find and lower carbon emissions and greenhouse gasses . Look to that problem before blaming Cow Farts and wood stoves .  

• Like 2