Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

UPDATE: Chemung County Executive Releases 2022 Budget Proposal

i can say 100% that the County had ZERO to do with build outs in our area( im not taking credit either). they offered no real assistance over the years going back to when Krusen was Exec, except to inform us that we were not attractive to companies due to low population density, meanwhile Hhds, Bigflats were getting 3rd and 4th upgrades!

• Like 2

I’m no politician, not even close but having been watching the goings on at the Legislative level even I can see the bristling that this is going to cause . 
And yes , I do remember when Krusen gave us that BS speech and HHDS and Big Flats got the upgrades while we here in the hinterlands were again left out in the cold without a hope in the World of receiving hardwire internet service . And no … it  wasn’t those at the current County Level that entered into talks and worked with Haefele on our behalf either !! 

• Like 1

I'm a little perplexed that I can't find anyplace that a schedule for his "Budget Roadshow" has been announced publicly.....somewhat annoyed to see a post after the fact that he'd just wrapped up a stop right in my Town.

🤬

image.png.16200516bfedbd3351e7ee19c0cb3b53.png

Edited by MsKreed

12 hours ago, Adam said:

the County had ZERO to do with build outs in our area( im not taking credit either).

Don't sell yourself short in that respect. 

• Like 2

The amendment to the budget will provide a 7.0% full value tax cut to County residents, slightly greater than the 6.4% proposed by the County Executive. 

Along with the tax cuts, there is a 4% salary increase for almost all elected and appointed officials while using ARP funds to both study salaries for any future amendments, and to assist the Legislature in its process of redistricting following the 2020 census. 

The amendments will be presented to the Legislature for a vote on December 6, 2021. 

Source

Of course there is. 

Yesterday afternoon Chemung County Executive Christopher Moss vetoed multiple amendments made by the Legislature to the 2022 Executive Budget. 

A letter detailing the vetoes as well as the county executives reasoning can be found in the attached PDF file. 

Vetoes to 2022 Budget Objections.pdf

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.09.43 AM.png

Seems to me that Arnot has their hands full enough already and shouldn't once again take on more than they can handle. I offer the other big building a stone's throw away as Exhibit A. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.13.25 AM.png

This struck me as odd.....

Moss's budget proposed $114,536 for the IT Director .....a 14% ($9,536) increase from last year. And the Legislature's passed $107,451......a 2% ($2,451) raise instead.

image.png.12f448a205c7ec2ee3134c83fcff58cf.png

And Moss is objecting to their adjustment:

image.png.ad86a39107e4c6f96954bca21f3355d2.png

Am I reading this correctly?

While I fully agree that it's a vital position with complex job duties and should be salaried at a fair market wage to retain a qualified person in that title....it seems ironic to make that argument after driving out the last guy by not paying him enough.

That's what's confusing is that one of Moss's first orders of business was to slash the previous IT Director's $102,620 salary by 10% ($10,262), which resulted in his immediate retirement.  But now he's demanding that the predecessor's (already higher) salary gets hiked 14% more? 

• Like 1

The county executive and the Legislature also disagreed on pay rate increases for some county employees — specifically in the executive branch. The Legislature's budget raised the county executive’s salary to $146,985, mirroring a 4% raise for many elected and management employees. County legislators also received a 4% pay bump, their first raise of the current term.

“I personally feel that it is fair to treat the county executive and Legislature the same when handing out raises, and 4% is a very fair raise,” said 14th District Legislator Michael Smith.

Moss said his budget plan sought to remedy issues of “wage compression,” in which there is a decreased difference in pay between county employees and supervisors. Moss made 22 wage adjustments to the salaries of county officials based on wage compression concerns. The increases ranged from 4% to 31.2%, with a 13% increase for the county executive to $159,954.

Moss noted that some elected and appointed officials took a 10% to 15% pay decrease in 2019 that saved the county around $244,000 over the ensuing three years. The Budget Committee approved 19 of the 22 recommendations, but not for the positions of county executive and deputy executive.

“The Legislature, for no articulated or legitimate basis, refusing to return half of the 15% taken from the position of the County Executive and Deputy Executive in 2019, does nothing but create an additional wage compression issue whereupon now three department heads will make more than the Deputy Executive, who is their immediate supervisor,” said Moss.

Source

SMH....like ive said all along, these Jokers are a mirror of the dysfunction in DC and i see Moss is doing no different

20 hours ago, Adam said:

SMH....like ive said all along, these Jokers are a mirror of the dysfunction in DC and i see Moss is doing no different

Tweaking your words to change the way history is recalled is ultimate political maneuvering. 

This sudden and repeated spouting about "wage compression" is a new refrain that started with demanding a bigger salary hike for the IT Director.

And it's now morphed into an argument that the legislature is "refusing to return half of the 15% taken from the position of the County Executive and Deputy Executive in 2019".....????

Excuse me???   

There are many verbs that could describe fulfilling a major element of  your own campaign platform .... "taken" is not really one of those words.  We could say that 15% was "volunteered", or "offered" or "remitted" or "refunded" by the Executive, but to imply it was "taken" is sort of deceptive.  

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1