Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

"Calvin And Hobbes" Said Goodbye 25 Years Ago. Here's Why Bill Watterson's Masterwork Enchants Us Still

So many 20th-century comics feel embalmed in their era because of topical references or period-specific jargon and humor, but 35 years after its launch, the spirit of “Calvin and Hobbes” feels snowflake fresh. Sure, the strip knowingly decorated its interiors with throwback furniture — Watterson noted how fun it was to draw mid-century styles — but little else looks antiquated.

So many 20th-century comics feel embalmed in their era because of topical references or period-specific jargon and humor, but 35 years after its launch, the spirit of “Calvin and Hobbes” feels snowflake fresh. Sure, the strip knowingly decorated its interiors with throwback furniture — Watterson noted how fun it was to draw mid-century styles — but little else looks antiquated.

“The vast majority of situations, jokes and themes that Bill wrote about work just as well in 1890 as they did in 1990, so I suspect that same agelessness will work well for the strip in 2090,” says Kellett, whose “Stripped” film featured original poster art that was a surprise gift from Watterson.

That accessibility helps the strip appeal to generations of fans — a dynamic that Robb witnessed during her Watterson retrospective. “I loved going up to the galleries to listen to visitors laughing out loud,” she says, “or to watch them point out a favorite strip to their companion or their child.”

That staying power is unfettered by ancillary projects or products. The cartoonist boldly drew and held the line against merchandising his creation, lest commercial tie-ins pollute the purity of the creator and reader experience.

Read the rest here.

Are you still a fan of C&H? Or any other comic?

Peanuts, The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes... my three favorites.

They just don’t make em like they used to.

• Like 1

I love reading them still. A few years ago someone wrote some fan fiction about Calvin being old and on his death bed and his last conversation with Hobbes.  It makes me tear up every time I have read it.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I love reading them still. A few years ago someone wrote some fan fiction about Calvin being old and on his death bed and his last conversation with Hobbes.  It makes me tear up every time I have read it.

Yeah that was a good one. I also saw one where Calvin was an adult, found Hobbes, and passed him on to his daughter. 

We have a stack of the books here ( as well as countless Peanuts collections ) but one of these days I'm gonna get the two volume complete set. Same for The Far Side. 

• Like 1