Kevin

Wayfair to cut another 1000

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

NY only has about 350 people that work for Wayfair, but I know a large number of those are in this area.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/wayfair-prepares-cut-more-than-1000-jobs-wsj-2023-01-19/

It's not very specific as to where they are laying off.  They laid off quite a few locally when they closed the facility in Big Flats.  The people I know personally are WFH now.  Wayfair has thousands of employees across the US.

They didn't lay people off when they closed the call center. All were transferred to WFH. A lot ended up quitting afterwards. 

The rumors are most of the layoffs are going to be corporate and Frontline employees along with a number of mid level management. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

They didn't lay people off when they closed the call center. All were transferred to WFH. A lot ended up quitting afterwards. 

The rumors are most of the layoffs are going to be corporate and Frontline employees along with a number of mid level management. 

2 of my local friends were laid off.  Didn't quit.  Both were manager/team lead type of positions but they had been WFH since pandemic started and got let go with the layoffs.  

I misunderstood what you said, I thought you meant they were laid off when they got sent home March of 2020. A lot of management got laid off in Aug. I know a bunch of them from the old BF site got it. Some I was sad for, a few I laughed because of karma. 

That really sucks, but I think we're gonna see more layoffs, particularly in the online/tech world. I heard on the radio that Google is cutting like 12,000 jobs. 

So the announcement was made today and the number was 1,750 or 10% of employees. I know many people that were impacted. Everyone from L2 (lowest level management) to L6 (the highest level). I don't know of anyone in a customer facing role that was impacted. 

Some departments like training lost over 1/3 of the people and engagement was decimated. Some trainers have been offered roles in other departments. I know some of them are coming to my dept. 

They also announced that except for the Athens call center that opened last year they are closing the other 4 call centers and everyone would be virtual. 

These numbers are world wide and not just in the US. 

The severance package for US employees is 

10 weeks of pay, and benefits and equity investing being covered till the end of March. 

Edited by Kevin

Seems like management is always the first to go.  I only know one in the management area who was still there after the layoff last year.  Wonder if he's going.

28 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Seems like management is always the first to go.  I only know one in the management area who was still there after the layoff last year.  Wonder if he's going.

If you want to send me his name, I can look. I know a lot of the ones from this area are no longer there. 

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

If you want to send me his name, I can look. I know a lot of the ones from this area are no longer there. 

Just saw him comment on a post on Linked In about being impacted by this one.  

• Like 1