Chris

A Monument For "Friday"?

I just saw this picture and wanted to share it:

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 1.40.18 PM.png

It's Christina Sonsire and EPD Chief Joe Kane at the grave of James Loftus. 

Who is James Loftus you ask?

James Loftus was "Friday", the kid who was found and inspired a group of guys to start the Arctic League. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 1.49.40 PM.png

10/15/1955

It seems to me that over 100 years later, it would be nice if there would be a monument or memorial of some kind recognizing the kid known to so many as "Friday" and his role in the creation of an organization like the Arctic League. Perhaps not just him, but the men who found him as well. 

Of course one could argue that the organization itself is a memorial in itself already. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

I think a memorial is a wonderful idea.  I never knew this gentleman was the inspiration for the Artic League.

It's interesting that it was a well known secret. 

There was a newspaper article in the 30's I believe that mention that he was the original kid. Then nothing until his death in '55. And then it seems nothing until 2015 when a newspaper article mentions that someone suddenly realized who he was and he was buried in Woodlawn. 

I think a statue of a little kid and some men in Winter clothes, maybe one holding a baseball bat would be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

Here's something that I would have realized through basic math if I'd taken the time to think about it more: The story is that Loftus was a child when in fact he was 21 when the guys came upon him. Instead of toys and candy, they helped get him some clothes, some needed dental work, and a job. They continued to serve as mentors to him until he joined the Army and went overseas to fight in World War 1. He returned to Elmira after the war and was a staunch supporter of the organization until he died. 

This still seems to me one of those, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend" moments. The fact that he was a young man doesn't detract at all from my belief that there should be some memorial to "Friday" and the original men of the Arctic League. In fact, I'd argue that portraying "Friday" as a child would represent the overall spirit of the organization from it's earliest days to today.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chris said:

This still seems to me one of those, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend" moments. The fact that he was a young man doesn't detract at all from my belief that there should be some memorial to "Friday" and the original men of the Arctic League. In fact, I'd argue that portraying "Friday" as a child would represent the overall spirit of the organization from it's earliest days to today.

I always assumed the published details involved some literary license.... "It was Christmas Day 1912 when they found him"...and then named him Friday after the day he was found. Except I believe Christmas fell on a Wednesday that year....

The Spirit of the Arctic League transcends the story that's retold every year

Edited by MsKreed

1 minute ago, MsKreed said:

I always assumed the published details involved some literary license.... "It was Christmas Day 1912 when they found him"...and then named him Friday after the day he was found. Except I believe Christmas fell on a Wednesday that year....

LOL Yeah you and I discussed that once upon a time I remember. 

Maybe rename the Artic League building after him, but buying a memorial very few will go see seems to be a waste of limited resources.  

• Like 1

Hell I’d kick in some beans for the cause.

But I see your point. And like I said, maybe the organization IS the ultimate memorial.

• Like 2